Part 14

Eventually everyone decided it was best for them to head back to their homes and after a brief goodbye the Champions were gone. Ever since the champions had left Zelda hadn't even acknowledged Link but this wasn't surprising especially if what Urbosa had said was true. If Zelda really did see him a reminder for all her failures then she was sure to ignore him. Link followed Zelda all the way through the castle and up to her room. She opened her door and entered and Link opened his mouth to say something when Zelda slammed the door shut in his face. Link let out an exasperated sigh and leaned against the wall next to her door. He might not be able to keep an eye on her at all times but if anything happened hopefully she would call out and he would have a chance to assist her.

The night passed without incident and the entire night Link stood outside the princess' room leaning against the door. When morning came and Link watched the night shift switch out the day guards he finally stepped away from the door and stretched. While stretching it dawned on him that the night had been extremely quiet. He instantly stooped and walked over to Zelda's door before knocking. No answer. Panic started fueling Link and he knocked a second time. The door suddenly flew open and Zelda stood there looking extremely tired and irritated. "What do you want?!" She demanded before noticing it was Link. Her expression didn't change but she let out a sigh and walked past him. Link followed her down the corridor and all the way to where the horses were kept. "We need to go to Rito village as I need to speak with the Rito Elder." Zelda said as she climbed up on her horse and guided it out of the stable. Link grabbed Epona and, after climbing on his horse, followed after Zelda.

The trip to Rito Village was calm and quiet although Link didn't fail to miss the shifty figures that dipped out of view whenever he tried focusing on them. Several times Link wanted to say something but would always resist the urge since he figured unless it became more of a problem it wasn't worth bothering the Princess. As they approached Rito village Link could make out Vah Medoh flying around in the sky and he could feel the temperature decreasing ever so slightly. When they got to Rito stable they dismounted their horses and continued into Rito Village on foot.

The way up to Rito Village was separated by several small islands that were connected by wooden bridges. Walking up and down the first one was a Rito guard. When he spotted them he gave a stiff bow. "Princess Zelda, to what do the Rito owe this pleasure?"

Zelda straightened. "I need to speak to the Elder on important business."

The Rito nodded. "Shall I get a guard to escort you?"

"No, we should be fine."

The rito turned to LInk. "I take it you are the Princess' appointed knight. Link was it? Do you think the Princess needs an escort?" Link shook his head and the guard gave a stiff bow before gesturing for them to continue. They finished crossing all the bridges until they got into Rito Village. They walked up the many flights of stairs until they stopped at a platform and Zelda turned to Link.

"The matters I need to discuss with the Elder are private. You can wait here." Link opened his mouth to protest but Zelda interrupted. "I will be fine, there are plenty of Rito that it would be foolish for someone to attempt something.

Link let out a sigh and Zelda turned to continue walking. Link debated following or not but decided that the Princess did have a point. If someone tried something there would be plenty of witnesses. Link walked into the center of the platform and looked up at Vah Medoh. Even from down here Link could appreciate the Divine Beasts immense size and he thought about how much damage four things like that could do to Ganon. The air was quite besides the wirrling of all of Vah Medoh's gears and fans turning when suddenly it became very windy and Link's hair started thrashing everywhere.

Suddenly Revali shot up from below, using a tornado like wind, before carefully landing on the railing around the platform. Link did his best to keep his face straight, he didn't want to give Revali the satisfaction of knowing that Link had found that somewhat awe-inspiring. Revali gave a small smile. "Impressive, I know. Very few can achieve a mastery of the sky. Yet I have made an art of creating an update that allows me to soar. It is considered to be quite the masterpiece of aerial technique, even among the Rito." Revali turned his head away hoping for a reaction or comment but when it didn't come he turned back to look at Link who continued to keep his face blank. "With proper utilization of my superior skills, I see no reason why we couldn't easily dispense with Ganon."

Revali hopped off of the railing, hands clasped behind his back, and walked towards Link. "Now then, my ability to explore the firmament is certainly of note... But let's not-- pardon me for being so blunt-- let's not forget the fact that I am the most skilled archer of all the Rito. Yet despite these truths, it seems that I have been tasked to merely assist you. All because you have the little darkness-sealing sword on your back. I mean, it's just... asinine." He looked at Link expecting a reaction of some sorts but Link fought one off and Revali grew more annoyed and leaned in close to Link's face. "Unless... you can prove me wrong. Maybe we should just settle this one on one?" He pulled his face away and stroked the feathers on his chin. "But where....? Oh, I know! How about up there?!" Revali gestured up to Vah Medoh. Link followed his getured and looked up at the Divine Beast in the sky before looking back at Revali and raising an eyebrow.

Revali chuckled, "Oh you must pardon me." He turned away from Link the tone of his voice changing ever so slightly where it sounded more prideful. "I forgot you have no way of making it up to that divine beast on your own!" Revali then spread his wings and, conjuring up another gust of wind, flew upwards. While he was in the air he looked down at Link for giving a mock salute. "Good luck sealing the darkness!"

As soon as Revali was no longer looking Link frowned. There was no way the Rito Champion was actually wishing him luck. It was more likely that he was mocking Link. Link let out a sigh and crossed his arms. Not only did Princess Zelda hate him but one of the other champions resented him just as much. And he had thought the hardest part was fighting the monsters and Calamity Ganon himself. At least those threats he could fight and react to, there was no way he was going to give Revali the satisfaction of knowing his words slightly annoyed him.

Link waited on the platform at least an hour before he saw Princess Zelda walking back down the stairs. Link stepped away from the railing he was leaning against and walked over to her. When she saw them her expression became more annoyed but she let out a sigh. "The Elder has given us permission to stay the night here so we can be fully rested from our trip here. He also thinks it's best we rest here since it's no longer safe to travel when it's dark." She didn't give Link time to respond as she walked right past him. Link let out a sigh and followed the Princess to the area that the Rito had for guests to sleep.

When they entered the woman standing there gave a slight smile. "Good afternoon, Princess, I take it that you will be spending the night here?"

Zelda nodded. "Yes we will be."

The Rito woman nodded. "So two beds then? One for the Princess and one for her knight."

Link held his hand in front of him. "I won't be resting actually, I have to stay awake to protect the princess."

The Rito women walked around the counter. "You are so young, you deserve some sleep too even if it's just for a little bit. If it makes you feel better I am sure that we can find some guards to stand outside of her and protect both you and the Princess. Besides, who would be foolish enough to attack the home of one of the Champions."

Link let out a sigh. "Fine, two beds please."

Sorry this chapter isn't my finest work. I've been so tired lately and really stripped of motivation. I hope you all still enjoy it :)