06. jealousy hurts

CHAPTER SIX
JEALOUSY HURTS

WINIFRED ROSE STUMBLED down the stairs in anticipation, waiting for her new beau Gilbert to escort her into his hometown, Avonlea. He arrived perfectly on time and looked just the part but to Winifred's dismay, she was not attracted to the man. She ignored that fact and gladly took his rough hand in hers, and in the back of her mind, compared his hands to Cora's soft and delicate ones.

"Your home is beautiful Winnie." Gilbert said, as Winifred smiled a fake smile at him.

"Thank you Gilbert." Winifred said back as they walked out of the home and made their way to Avonlea. Finally reaching the beautiful farmlands, Winifred squealed in excitement.

"Oh Gil.. your town is absolutely gorgeous!" She said as the took in the breathtaking view in front of her. The trees were glistening with dew drops that sparkled in the morning sunlight, and fresh daisies with a soft scent were scattered around the area. Forgetting that Gilbert was next to her, Winnie pranced along the grass and picked up a daisy to smell. She tucked it behind her ear and her blonde locks perfectly matched the innocent white flower.

She ran around the grasslands, free as a bird, but after a few seconds bumped into another figure with a jerk. Winnie felt a pang of pain sting onto her stomach as she heard a melodious voice from beneath her.

"We really need to stop meeting like this Winnie." The frail figure said and prompted Winifred to look down at her angelic face.

"C-Cora?" Winifred asked, stunned.

"The one and only." Cora smirked at her and Winifred felt her face flush a deep red.

"W-What are you doing here I-How are you here?" Winifred stuttered as her heart started fluttering and her heartbeat quickening.

"Wait, you two know each other?" Gilbert questioned as his gaze shifted from his sister to his date.

"Ah yes we do, I had the pleasure of bumping into Winifred when I was at Charlottetown. I'm Gilbert's sister Win, just incase you didn't figure that bit out." Cora smiled innocently at the pair. All Winifred could do at that moment was stare at the emerald green eyes of Cora Blythe.

She loved the way her name rolled off Cora's tongue: it made it sound a dozen times better than it already was. It was the sound of angels: it seemed like an euphoric pattern intertwined with honey and happiness. Winnie moved her focus from Cora's entrancing eyes to her plump, pink lips. They were quivered in a soft smile and looked ever so perfect under the daunting sunlight. Winifred wondered what it would feel like to kiss Cora.

She shook her head and plunged back into reality as Gilbert took one of her hands, (she had almost forgotten that he was here), and Cora took the other. She sighed as Cora's soft and moisturised hands brushed her own before clutching hers, and felt jolts of electricity sending shivers down her spine. Cora shot her a knowing smile that only caused Winifred to stare more intensely at the girl, moving her thumb and caressing Cora's hands as they both stared into each other's eyes.

This woman will be the death of me.

Gilbert cleared his throat at both of the women, and they flushed deep red. Winifred had to remind herself that she was with Gilbert, and reluctantly released her hand from Cora's and kissed Gil's cheek lightly. Cora's expression turned into one of sadness and jealousy as she put up a fake smile, but Winifred could see right through her.

Cora's mind was racing. What was it about that girl that made her feel this way? Every time she gazed at Winifred her heart thumped like the beats of a heavenly orchestra and all she ever wanted to do was press her lips against Winifred's. Cora felt pangs of pain mixed with jealousy whenever she saw her brother with the girl she was infatuated with, and it felt like she was suffocating. Like she couldn't breathe. And all Cora ever wanted to do was run away and break down.