03. winifred rose

CHAPTER THREE
WINIFRED ROSE

"SO CORA IS it possibly your first time here in Charlottetown?" Winifred inquired, smiling brightly as she helped Cora into a carriage.

"Actually it isn't, I come here daily to visit one of my friends or to just admire the city." Cora said, still in a daze.

"Well you certainly admired the city alright." Winifred said as the pair chuckled.

"I swear I'm not this clumsy Winnie-I don't know what came over me this time." Cora said, and Winifred grinned at the nickname she used.

"How'd you know that Winnie is my nickname Cor!" Winifred said dramatically in a mocking tone as Cora chuckled.

"The same way that you know that Cor is mine." Cora smirked.

"Touché Cora. Touché." Winnie said as both of them smiled at each other, dazed by each other's emerald and ocean eyes.

The carriage stopped and Winnie helped Cora down, two hands meeting, spreading shivers down both the women.

"Dr. Ward? We have one with a sprained ankle here!" Winifred raised her voice sweetly and took Cora's hand once more as she limped.

"Thank you so much for all the help Winnie. Honestly, I could've just done it myself, but thank you." Cora said sincerely.

"Nonsense! I had to help you, it is my fault after all, Cor." Winifred said as she gazed at the girl.

"No no no! It was mine. I was in a daze after all.." Cora retorted and smiled weakly at her. Winifred said nothing, and only looked at Cora, mesmerised. It was her turn to daydream.

"Honestly Winifred would you stop gazing into that poor girl's eyes and fetch me my medical kit." Dr. Ward said, clearly irritated with Winnie.

Her entire face flushed as she hurried and brought him the kit. Cora's eyes showed her hurt for Winifred as she flashed her a sympathetic smile that Winnie gladly returned. Cora mouthed an 'I'm sorry' to Winifred as her foot was getting bandaged.

After she was ready with her crutches and her foot bandaged up, Cora was escorted into the carriage by Winnie. Cora, however, was shocked at Winifred getting inside the carriage and sitting next to her.

"Winnie you don't need to accompany me, I'm quite alright by myself!" Cora exclaimed shyly.

"Come on Cor, what are friends for?" Winifred said, her blue eyes sparkling with enthusiasm.

"We're friends?"

"Well, of course we are! U-Unless you don't want to be.." Winifred's eyes widened as she stuttered.

"Don't be ridiculous Winnie, I would absolutely love to be your friend." Cora said, beaming.

"Then it's settled, dear friend." Winifred said as they both looked at each other and burst into laughter.

━━━━━━ ⋆ ✧ ━━━━━━

THE PAIR REACHED the Barry residence and Winifred slowly bent down and pressed her lips onto Cora's cheek, her touch lingering on it and making Cora blush beet red.

"I'll see you around Cor." Winifred whispered into her ears and Cora, too shocked to say anything, just nodded, brushing her hand across where Winifred had kissed her. Winifred climbed back into the carriage and soon departed.

Before having a second to process anything she heard familiar voices that made her smile.

"Cor you're finally here! What took you so long?" Anne said, just before glancing down at her bruised and bandaged foot.

"Oh dear Cora! I left you alone for only an hour-why must you be so clumsy!" Anne exclaimed and Cora laughed simultaneously.

"Anne, I'm alright don't worry." Cora said while shaking her head in disbelief.

"Cora!" Another voice joined in.

"Cole!" She exclaimed back and embraced him tightly, "I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you more." He whispered against her shoulder.

"Now that's hardly possible dear Cole, let's head inside shall we?" Cora chuckled and limped inside the manor.

"Cora, who was that gorgeous woman who kissed your cheek?" Anne asked, her blue eyes lighting up.

"That was Winifred, she helped me with my wounds; she works at Dr. Ward's office." Cora explained.

"She's absolutely exquisite!" Anne said enthusiastically.

"She really is.." Cora said back, the woman with blonde hair and aqua blue eyes crossing her mind once again. She sighed in agreement once more and felt her face flush. Cora had to say that Winifred was indeed perfect, as perfect as one can be.

And then it hit Cora. Was this the reason she always felt out of place? Was this the reason she never related to anyone? Was this the reason she ignored every single boy who had the intentions of courting her? Her eyes widened in realisation and she felt her mouth go dry.

She, Cora Blythe, was attracted to women. She was like Josephine Barry.

Cora Blythe almost teared up; people like her weren't accepted and shunned out of society. She was going to have to lead her life like an ordinary woman, a heterosexual woman. But then the thought of those beautiful aqua eyes crossed her mind, and she couldn't help but think that she would be losing out on her if she pretended to be 'normal'. And then yet another realisation hit her.

She, Cora Blythe, was attracted to Winifred Rose.

─ ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─

( 853 words )

authors note:
thank u for reading :) have a great day and i hope you enjoyed this chapter! my bby cora honestly deserves the whole world and more, and do vote and comment if u liked it!