four

"Athena how the hell did you think that was smart?" Elijah's voice boomed.

As I entered the house, Elijah knew exactly where I had been previously. The look of disappointment on his face was evident. After what had happened the night before, I understood.

"Elijah it is not what you think." I sighed, trying to turn down the tone of this conversation that was escalating very quickly.

"Then what is it then? What do you think it was supposed to look like to me?" He scoffed, arms crossed in front of him.

I shook my head and looked down. I couldn't bear to look into his eyes. Then, a question popped into my head. He couldn't have left the house. His car hasn't been working. How did he find out?

"Wait a second, how did you even know I was there?" I asked, confusion evident in my face.

"The boys told me."

"The boys?"

"Yeah. Harry, Zayn, and Niall." He answered.

"Hold up." I scoffed, a sarcastic laugh hinted in my voice.

"How do you know them? I don't even know them Elijah, so why would you feel the need to have them watch me? I am not thirteen years old anymore. I can handle myself." I snapped. I was tired of him treating me like I was a little kid. I know I had done some things in the past that I am not proud of, but I am over that. He needs to be too.

"I know you more than anyone else Athena. Mom and dad might disagree, but I know you don't care at all about them anyways. I know when you break, what makes you break, and how bad you get. I just don't want you to get yourself in trouble." He sighs.

I roll my eyes. He tries so hard to understand, but he will never be able to. We may be entirely the same in some ways, but we are also complete opposites.

"Elijah please just trust me." I mumbled.

"Did you have anything to drink while you were there?" He questioned. He was looking more like a father to me right now than a brother and it was bothering me.

"Yes." I firmly stated. There's no use in lying now.

He ran his fingers through his hair once more, "How many?"

"One Elijah. Just one." That was a true statement.

I couldn't read his face as he stood before me. Disappointment? Anger? Confusion?

"God dammit. Should've known better than to text Harry first." He shook his head.

"What do you mean?" I questioned. He seemed like a pretty decent guy, mysterious and maybe a little wise for his age, but nothing too strange expect for the fact he knew my first name and my middle name which I absolutely despise. I wonder why I didn't flip on him for calling me that.

"I don't know. Maybe the fact that he's doomed to die before he reaches the age of 25. You should see how many cigs he smokes a day. Or how he can drink glasses of the nastiest whiskey and not even get affected by it, not even a bit."

Maybe that's why his voice was so raspy.

I shrugged. I can't be one to judge. I fight my demons with bourbon. He likes whiskey and tobacco. Both of us have signed death sentences. I have never smoked though, and I don't ever plan on it.

"When do you hang out with them anyways?" I couldn't remember the last time I have seen him out and about.

"More than you think actually. They're all pretty cool. I'm actually going to a party tonight that Niall is throwing at his place."