one

I wrote. I preferred to write in pencil rather than pen because I felt it was more sentimental in a way. The way the lead would break constantly if I was scribbling words too quickly, the way I had the ability to erase any slight mistake with ease, and definitely the way my messy handwriting made it real. Writing helped me escape from the things that I needed to most. Since I was young, I had developed the passion. I believed that words that are left unsaid and unspoken are the ones most important. If you keep those words bottled up inside of you though, they will soon fall to no meaning at all. That was why I wrote. I didn’t like to keep my thoughts inside bottled up for too long, otherwise they would eat me alive.

 It was a day of new discoveries. Well, supposed to be. I wake up everyday in the morning and the first thing I do is write. Whatever my mood is based on that, is my mood for the rest of the day. As I read over the final words of today’s journal entry, the scent of cooking bacon reaches my nose. Elijah must be up already. What time even is it? I check the clock next to me as it reads 8:14 A.M.

Wow, this is a first. My brother and I live together in an apartment we bought ourselves in this beautiful state of Colorado. Actually, it was beautiful in the right places, not here in our small town. The deal was with our parents that we bought the apartment, and they paid the rent. It seemed fair enough, and Elijah and I worked our asses off to buy this place. It’s a tad bit small, but perfect for the two of us. We lost both of our jobs at the local record store. Turns out, Elijah had some friends who stole some records when we were working. Since we didn’t notice, we were fired. They thought we had something to do with it, we got questioned, blah blah blah, and now we are back to square one.

Our parents send checks every week to help us get by, but I believed it’s just their form of a pathetic apology for all of the years we lived in a shitty life. Elijah didn’t believe that though, he thought they actually were trying to be the parents they should have been. He’s a people person, and I am not. I also do not believe it is right for our parents to “buy” us back into their lives.

I decided I should probably go out to the kitchen as whatever was being made out there smelled absolutely amazing. Way to go Elijah. I headed into my bathroom to check my appearance. My morning look isn’t exactly my best one, which is not a surprise. I splashed my face with freezing water a few times to wake myself up, and headed back into my bedroom. My morning breath was also a problem, but I would deal with that later. I slept in just an oversized cream sweater and my undies, so I thought it was best to change. I slipped on a pair of sweats and headed out into the kitchen.

“Well look who has finally come to join me.” Elijah called out, laughter hidden in his voice.

“It is seriously not even nine in the morning. What are you doing up so early?” I questioned.

“I felt a strong craving to eat some pancakes and bacon, and thought my lovely sister would like to join me.” He smiled as I made my way over to the dining table made for two.

“Oh shut up.”

He turned off the stove and placed everything on to two plates. He quickly handed me my plate, as it began to burn his hand.

“You’re such an idiot Eli.” I shook my head.

“Hey it is not my fault the food is hot.” He chuckled.

I hopped up quickly to grab the jug of milk in the fridge as well as the butter. I only like butter on my pancakes for some reason, never a fan of syrup. I hurry back over to see Elijah is already stuffing his face with food already as I begin to do the same. We eat in silence and finish our food. Once again, way to go older brother.

“I’m going to get a tattoo.” He firmly stated, and he waited to get a response from me.

I just nodded my head, not knowing what to think. Tattoos are cool and all, but I wasn’t a big fan.