Chapter 10: What Needs To Be Done

~Zacharias~

The water was cool, so cool. It wrapped around me like a comforting blanket. Bubbles tickled my toes. My limbs gently sank into the tub, and my mind was in pursuit of relaxation. But it failed. I kept returning back to that moment. That horrid fire. I remember hearing the wretched flames crackle and hearing the sparks rise up. I remember the fear that took over my body and rapidly shook my bones. And Francis, poor Francis was terrified. Many died today. The Knights of the Church reported that over fifty people burned in that hellish fire. This is beyond vandalism, it's terrorism against the church. The dye has been cast, and we now have an enemy which we can not see. Something in my head told me that I knew exactly who it was. That girl, the rebel girl who had the audacity to speak so boldly to authority. In my head I knew it had to be her, but my heart told me that I was wrong. I was mistaken, I had no proof. And I didn't want to believe that such a strong and beautiful girl can harm so many people. What am I supposed to do? What can I do? What does everyone want me to do? What do I want to do. I laid my head back and closed my eyes. I'm trying so hard to forget the slaughter and horror. But I simply can not. Suddenly, she appeared.

"I don't want to talk about it Catherine" I said, brushing her off.

"You don't even know what I want to talk about!" She whined.

"I don't want to talk to you period. I'm in a very stressful position, just leave me alone." I shooed her away with my hand. Sebastian appeared through the doorway. "Sebastian, do me a favor, lock the door after Catherine's departure. And feel free to wash her of her stench as a parting gift."

"Would you like bubbles madam?" Sebastian asked kindly.

"I need to leave for three weeks." She said firmly.

"Why? Where are you going?"

"Do you have to know?" She put her hands on her hips.

"If you didn't want me to know then why are you asking for permission to leave? Besides, I don't trust you. You could be plotting my assassination for all I know."

"Don't tempt me." She snarled.

"You're trying my patience. I don't have to let you go anywhere you know? I could lock you in your damn room and starve you for all I care." I put my head back and closed my eyes again.

"Fine. I want to participate at a ball in Swavett manor. I have the invitation here if you oh so need to know." She went into her satchel and pulled out a piece of paper and handed it to me. I took it and skimmed through it. It seemed legitimate. "It will take us at least a week to get there by carriage, and another week to get back and-."

"Another week to sleep around with your sugar daddy eh?" I laughed in her face.

"Don't speak of him that way!" I put my hands up in sarcastic surrender.

"Fine, fine. You leave at first light. Anything else darling?"

"No... thank you." She got up out of her chair.

"Anything for my bride to be. Make sure to tell Lord Swavett just how much I would love for him to be a groomsman at our wedding." She shot me one last sinister glare, and swiftly left. Sebastian closed the door after her. As soon as I was sure she left, I spoke.

"She's not going to any damn party. What's going on here?" I asked. Sebastian stayed quiet. "Sebastian. Bash. You've been really good to me these past few years."

"I'm afraid I know not what you're implying Milord." Sebastian has been with this family for almost twenty years. To us, he appears to be Sebastian: a loyal humble servant. But when the nobility turn their backs, he was Bash. He was cunning old man who knew all the secrets of the castle. He'll tell you things you want know, for a price of course. But he doesn't ask for money. He has no family to send it to, and he's provided for here in the castle. Money has no value to him. He trades secrets for secrets. Which is why he knows absolutely everything that happens here. Be cautious what secrets you tell him. He'll keep it, but if someone asks about it, and pays him for it handsomely, he'll tell. "Alright Bash, what would you like to know?"