Chapter 9: The Rose

~Noel~

I’ve fallen, fallen onto a cloud. It’s a weird way to describe this sensation, but that seems to be the most accurate to describe how it felt. The way my limbs sank deep into the tender softness, the way my mind was soothed. I’ve fallen, fallen onto a cloud.

I stretched my limbs, and struggled to raise myself up. It was so comfortable, I felt safe. But even so, I raised myself into a sitting position and struggled to open my eyes. When they suddenly fluttered open, I was laying on an awfully large bed. I swept my weak fingers against the soft sheets. I had changed, my wounds were wrapped. The splinters in my right hand have been wrapped in bandages, as were my left inner thigh and lower legs. My clothes changed too, I was bare save for the thin and sleek sheet of satin that wrapped my body like a night gown. It was short too, it left my legs exposed. My hair was no longer in its neat braid, and the strands of gold fell in large curls down my back.

My fingers kept sweeping against the sheets until they stumbled upon something warm. It was a body, it was Leon. Here he was resting by my side. His wounds were wrapped up as well. He was dressed in new fresh riding gear. He wore clean leather boots and tight leather pants. He wore a fresh and loose white shirt that left his strong chest exposed. His dark hair curled against his pale face and high cheekbones. There was a small cut on the bottom of his lip, it was a stain on his perfect and beautiful face. I watched him for a long time. I watched his calm breath and his chest rise and fall. I watched him until his eyes fluttered opened and his striking blue eyes were revealed. He looked at me and he smiled gently.

“My my, well don’t you look pretty.” I whispered to him, he chuckled lightly.

“You’re looking quite handsome yourself.” He said after sticking his tongue at me. He gently stroked my face and I found myself smiling ear to ear. “Are you alright?” He asked.

“Did you see? They wrapped us up.” I said as I showed him the bandage around my hand. He took my hand in his and stroked the bandages.

“That’s good, but do you hurt anywhere?” I shook my head and he smiled. “That’s good… that’s good.” I saw his body sink deeper into the mattress. He’s exhausted, as was I. Suddenly a pleasant scent filled the room. This sweet scent triggered the mighty growl of the inner beast in my stomach.

“Stew.” I whispered to myself. I saw Leon’s nose twitch slightly.

“Chicken stew.” Slowly I raised myself off the bed, and slowly tiptoed my way to the door at the other end of the empty room. The bottom of my feet kissed the cold marbled floor, and Leon’s boots softly clicked after my own steps. Softly I opened the door, and quickly yet quietly we walked down the large hallway by following the scent and the lights sounds of banging cookware.

We successfully found the kitchen, and with that we found a surprise to behold. I expected to see a middle aged woman by the name of Elise Durante, but I saw a girl significantly young. She was wrapped in satin, much like myself, but the dress was much longer and a light blue. A white braid was flung over her shoulder as she stirred the contents of a boiling black pot. Her face was gentle and pale, and her eyes were a striking blue color. Her lips were full and were a light beautiful shade. It was the girl, the girl who had my face. I slowly walked up to her and her face lit up with surprise and fear. I was slightly afraid as well, I didn’t know what to say to her. We were both standing there, staring at each other. And then she spoke. Her voice was soft, and a little shaky, but clear.

“I-uh. I’m sorry.” She said bowing her head, I was confused. “I apologize for what has happened, I didn’t mean for you to be hurt. I… I tried to nurse you back to health, and I made you some food, I’m truly sorry.” She looked back at us with pleading eyes. I was frozen, I didn’t know what to say to her. Leon appeared behind me.

“Thank you for everything, really. You don’t need to apologize.” He slowly brushed passed, and on light footstep he ambled towards her. He stuck out his hand in a friendly gesture. “My name’s is Leon. Her name is Noel. My I know yours?” He smiled gently. She hesitated, but she eventually thrust her hand in his own and gave him a firm handshake.

“I am Rosanna. Rosanna Durante.” She said with pride.

"I didn't know Lady Durante had a daughter." The girl started to back away. It appears as if she feels uncomfortable. I wanted to say something, but it was as if the words I wanted to say were wrapped up in a tangled spider web that couldn't escape. C'mon Noel, don't be such a coward. If you don't know what to say, say what's on your mind. So bluntly, and hopefully no too forcefully, I spoke. 

"Why did you take care of us?" 

"Pardon me?" the girl asked in a flustered manner. 

"Why did you take care of us? I mean, we broke into your home. We're intruders. Why nurse us and feed us?” I tried to ask politely, but I suppose it came out as a threat. Leon gave me a nasty look. The girl remained calm.

“Well, I suppose I had a feeling that you two weren’t enemies,” she smile sweetly, “also, forgive me for sounding odd, but your face intrigues me.” I was taken aback by her overwhelming warmth and kindness, in fact something about it made me sick to my stomach. My eyes narrowed, I find her suspicious somehow.

“Please, follow me, I’ll serve you your stew.”

***

The chicken stew was amazing, at least according to Leon. I refused to eat it. My excuse was that I simply wasn’t hungry, but she saw right past my lie. Of course I was hungry, every serf is hungry. Leon claims that she treats us like guests, and I’m simply being rude. Perhaps, but something about her just doesn’t sit well with me. We all sat down together at a dining table in the garden behind the house.

"So tell us about yourself, Rosanna.” Leon was bored and was desperate for conversation.

“Well, um… Let’s start with life here. As you know, I live here with Elise Durante. However, what you don’t know is that she isn’t my mother. Well at least not my real mother. I moved in with her when I was ten.”

“Oh, I see. Is she family then?” Ugh, don’t be so nosy!

“Well, no…” she started to shift in her seat. It got really quiet so far. But then she continued in a really hushed tone. “My mother died… eight years ago.” She whispered softly. Leon seemed to feel very guilty for making her bring up bad memories. Rosanna simply nodded and went back to her food. Silence, once again. If you don’t know to say, say what’s on your mind.

“Um, you wouldn’t have happened to see a satchel with us have you?”

“Oh yes um. About that. I wanted to ask you about its contents…” Oh no, she looked inside. If she decides to report us, we could be arrested for witch craft. We could be executed! What could we do? I started to panic, I felt sweat drip down my face. I was so afraid that I shut my eyes tightly so I wouldn’t have to see her face. Perhaps this is her angle: blackmail. This was her intention the entire time. I knew it! I knew she couldn’t be trusted! She finally came out with her question.

“Where did find it?” What, why do you care where we found it? What about why do we have it? That set light bulbs up in my head. I’m confused.

"W-We found in by the Lord’s castle, in a ditch in the ground. Why?”

“Wait, I have another question. If it isn’t yours, why didn’t you report it to the church?” she asked firmly. I was scared by that gaze. Her eyes narrowed. Her striking eyes turned cold, and she stared me down. It scared me, but it lit me up inside too. I couldn’t describe it, but somewhere in those eyes of ocean blue, I saw myself. I felt like… Like I could….

“Because, I need it.” I gave her that same look. I tried to assess whether or not she understood. It appears she did when her eyes relaxed again. We both took long sighs of relief. Rosanna started to shift in seat, trying to find the right words to say. Leon, who was silent for a while now, spoke up.

"What do you know about that book Rosanna?” She paused, but then giggled to herself.

“I know everything about that book. After all, it’s mine.”