Prolouge

Noel

© 2015 Imani Williams

All rights reserved.

I have seen it, my followers. I have seen the future. The end of reality is upon us. The messiah, the catalyst, is on the horizon. They will rise before the Kings and Queens of the Earth, and wash them clean of their power and corruption. They will be condemned for their acts of bravery. They will fall into the pit of fire, where they are to perish. But they will rise again and smite the evil that sit upon the thrones. This is the day for our people, God decrees it to be so!
***

Its dark here, pitch black. It's burning hot too, hotter than the depths of hell itself. I feel beads of sweat drip from my forehead, and I'm just so tired. My limbs sink towards the ground, with no hope of rising. Just taking minuscule and hushed breaths consume amazing amounts of strength. Air can't grab a hold of my lungs, and the little huffs and puffs that I heave are toxic. I cough and wheeze violently and my whole body shakes. In fact the whole atmosphere seems to shake in a swinging motion, back and forth like a pendulum.

I see nothing, but I can hear every sound that barges into my ear canals and pollute the serenity on the air. I hear people cheering, laughing, and screaming. I feel their presence surrounding me, as if I am being watched or spectated. I feel like a blind puppet, tripping and falling for everyone's amusement. Darkness swallows me again. Darkness, except for that little slit of light. I see that light, and with every ounce of strength I have left circulating to my weak muscles, I crawl to it. I crawl, and it takes me a really long time, but I manage. I touch the light, it's a window. I prop myself up to look out. I really am swinging, and I really am being watched.

The crowd seems to go on for miles in every direction. The crowd is filled with all different types of people. Most of them are my people, people like me, people I love. They aren't really laughing and cheering. They are furious. They curse and shout for my freedom. Together, their thunderous voices rise to the heavens. They stomp their feet and throw beer bottles as they cry out for justice. They cry for me, I've never such beautiful voices harmonized together in my life.

"Does this look like justice to you!?"

"This isn't fair!"

"You said you would protect us!"

"Let them go!"

"Doesn't matter what authority you have, you're all just satanic bastards!"

These messages go back and forth, as I swing in my little iron cage. My heart aches and I shed tears of pain and joy. I love my people, I don't want to leave them. Suddenly, knights of the church terrorize the crowd, raising their swords and hurting the people. One woman's beautiful face is scarred forever by an iron fist. And a man is held down by two knights, thrashing and kicking to escape. Children scream at the top of their tiny lungs. The noise grow louder, and then there's a sudden silence. A loud boisterous voice rang out.

"This court, and the church of God, find the accused guilty. The accused is hereby excommunicated. The heathen is to be sentenced death by fire. Does the heathen have any last words?" The priest asks me. Every head turned to my direction. Silence washes over the crowd. My heart stings in my chest as if I'm being stabbed a million times. Breath escapes my lips, never to return again. And yet I speak these words with pride.

"For my people, a thousand lashes from Satan. But I shall rise and shine again, for I am her sun." Cries ring out again. There is a riot, and then there's slaughter. I see splashes of red splatter. I see lively faces turn blank and cold. I see swords stained in red. My people, they're fighting for me, and they're losing. I'm sorry I brought this upon you, because of my selfish acts. I deserve to burn, and burn I shall do.

I suddenly hear the chain snap. My eyes grow wide, air shoots out of my throat, and I shake. I shake so violently. Then gravity has its effect on my iron cage. I look out of the window, and I see everything move in a swift and terrifying motion. I'm falling, falling into the pit of fire. I'm coming even closer and closer to it. I see the fire burn and roar with hunger and anticipation. My heart sinks even further and my hand grabs my left wrist. I admire the bracelet that sent me to my demise. I still love it with all my heart. My fingers sweep over the stitches. I feel the picture of the rising sun. I kiss it. I repeat once again, my final words.

"I will burn, for I am her sun"