Chapter 11: Through the Eyes of the Blind

~Noel~

The table rested on sharply cut grass, and surrounding the perimeter were gorgeous flower beds filled with exotic plants. They varied in color and vibrancy. Soft and light petal danced in the breeze. It almost felt like spring here. How did they find the seeds to plant these? They’re so beautiful.

 “Do you like the flowers?” The girl asked, snickering. I must’ve been drooling like an idiot.

 “They’re very beautiful.” I whispered, not turning to look at her. I couldn’t keep my eyes off of those flowers. I felt my own pupils dilate at the sight of beautiful colors and shapes.

 “They're for research, mother uses the pollen for remedies and experiments. It’s one of my favorite parts of her research. I’m responsible for taking care of these flowers along with many other things.” She said proudly. She looked at the flowers from her seat, admiring her work. I noticed that entangled in her white braid, there were a few wild flowers.

 “Really? Fascinating.” Leon said in between spoonfuls of stew and bites of wheat bread. Ugh, his face was a mess! He eats like a pig. Rosannah giggled at the disgusting swine of a boy. I simply nodded and went back to flower watching. It got quiet again, only the clanging of silverware could be heard. But then she tried to catch my interest again, and this time succeeded.

 “Can I show them to you?” she asked sweetly. I looked at her this time. Her blue eyes sparkled at my response. Her whole face practically lit up like fireworks. I narrowed my eyes at her, but I couldn’t resist. I really wanted a closer look. I took a deep breath.

 “I..I-I suppose.” She jumped out of her seat and grabbed my hand.

 “C’mon, let’s go.” I was surprised by her enthusiasm, but I felt a little happy inside myself. I rose from my seat, and soon the both of us were running through the field. Our hair was flying through the wind, our feet stomped on the soft and slightly damp grass, and we held hands, filling in the spaces between both of our fingers perfectly. She led me to a flowerbed. We sat down with our legs crossed and examined flowers together. There were so many variations of colors, shapes, and brightness.  It resembled a rainbow.

“There are so many types. This one right here, we call this one a crystalis lily. It’s one of my favorites. I love the way the violet petals glow at night. We use the pollen for a remedy for the sleep deprived. It helps with nightmares. And this one…” We went on about the flowers for a really long time. I fell in love with each and every one of them. When we finally got to the last one, we sat there by the flower bed in silence. I wanted to ask her many questions for a while now. The book is yours? Are you a druid? Can you do magic? But I simply asked the most important question weighing heavily on my mind.

“Who are you?” I asked softly.

“Who are you?” She retorted. Her brow furrowed deeply and she looked down at her hands folded in her lap. As far I’m concerned she doesn’t trust me at all. I tried again.

“... Can you ...use magic?”

“Can you?” She kept on answering my questions with other questions. She has no intention of giving any information. I changed the subject.

“When we let ourselves in, the door lock by itself. And there was a very strong wind. That’s what knocked us out.” I told her.

“Did it now?” I’m quite annoyed with her constant evasion. I deserve answers and that is what I will get.

“Look, I’m sorry we came barging into your home and snooping around in your business. But I need answers, and I need that book.” I said forcefully.