Ch 10: Promise Ring

"Have you seen the way Sirius looks at Karri?" He asked Molly. "They're acting odd around each other. Haven't you noticed?"

"Indeed." Molly agrees. "Karri looks at Sirius like she's in love. I haven't seen that look on her before."

"So you agree with me? James and Lily just ignore my thoughts. Peter doesn't care."

"Have you tried asking Sirius?"

"I did. He just changes the subject."

"Karri just blushes and leaves."

"I have an idea."

"What?"

"Karri said that she's staying here. So is Sirius....I wonder-"

"Remus." Molly says cutting him off. "No. You have a date with Tonks. Do not break to prove something's going between Karri and Sirius. Go on your date with Tonks."

"Fine. Fine."

"Good." Molly says, "I've worked too hard for you to break off your date with Tonks."

"Matchmaker Molly."

Molly smiled.

"I like that."

"Of course you do."

Sirius and Karri sat on the couch in the common room. Everyone left about an hour ago. James had his first date with Lily. Remus had his first date with Tonks.

"Do you think we should tell them?" Karri asked Sirius.

"About?"

"Us?"

Sirius shook his head.

"Sirius we have been a secret for months now..."

"Within good reason." Sirius whispers. "Karri, remember what happened with my brother, Regulus? He tried to break us up."

"And it worked. You dated Marlene. And I stayed away from you."

"Do not say that." Sirius says, "Please do not let my brother break us apart again. Do you want your father to find you again?"

Sirius noticed Karri flinched at the sound of bringing up her father. He rolled his eyes.

"I want you safe, Karri. It's my job to protect you."

"I don't need protection." She says standing up.

She moved away from Sirius. To sit at the armchair across the fire.

"Yes you do." Sirius says. "Look-"

"Are you saying that we're only together is for you to protect me?"

Sirius's face tightened. But he didn't answer. She should know that he loves her. He felt Karri's glare on him. He knew she's pissed. But he's pissed too.

"Great." Karri says. "I should have gone to Hogsmead like everyone else."

"Why do you say that?" He asked, glaring at her. "We both agree to stay behind to spend more time together. It was your idea!"

Karri flinched at the sound of Sirius's yell. He knew he should care but at the moment he didn't.

"I wanted to spend time with someone I grew to love." She whispers, her voice breaking which made Sirius's heartbreak.

"Karri-"

"No. I don't care what you have to say, Sirius." She says standing up. "You're only with me to protect me. Not in love with me."

"Karri-"

"No. Just forget it."

Sirius watches Karri leave the common room. Sirius's heartburn in pain and guilt. He loved Karri. So much that he saw himself marrying her. Sirius pulled out a silver crown ring from his pocket robes. He bought this awhile ago. The ring made him think of Karri.

Sirius put the ring back in his pocket. He stood and went out, knowing where Karri goes when she's pissed or upset. Sirius found Karri in the library like always. But she wasn't alone. He heard his brother's voice. His eyes glared at Regulus.

"Ah, there is the man." Regulus says as he watched Sirius pull Karri away from him.

"You okay?" Sirius whispers to Karri.

"Fine." She mumbled.

"What do you want Regulus?" Sirius asked.

"I was just checking in on Karri, Sirius. No need to protect her all the time."

"It's my job."

"Oh?"

Sirius felt Karri's hand on his arms and the other slips in his hand. Sirius knew that movement. She didn't want him to fight. Karri dragged Sirius away from his brother and the library.

"What did he say to you?" Sirius asked.

"Nothing."

"Karri-"

"Nothing."

Sirius stopped walking, which made her stop.

"Sirius-"

"Tell me."

"He just warned me about my father." She whispers. "He said that he'll wait at Kings Cross."

Sirius's face froze. Her father waited for her at Kings Cross.

"Which means I can't go home."

"Yes you can." Sirius says smiling at her. "Felion, remember."

"But Sirius. I don't have a home to go to."

"Yes you do. James's-"

"I don't want to put everyone at risk, Sirius."

"You won't."

"How do you know?"

"Trust me, love." Sirius says in a whisper. "No one will hurt you as long as you're with me."

"Really?"

Sirius nodded. He took her hand and led her to the room of requirements.

"Sirius-"

Sirius stopped walking as they got in the middle of the room. Sirius watched Karri in awe of the room.

A smile on his face. No matter how many times they've been here, she still is in awe. Sirius pulled out the crown ring. His heart pounding in his chest.

"Karri?" He says, his voice barely shaking.

Karri turned to face him. Her eyes widen at the ring in his hand.

"This." He starts. "Is a promise ring. I read about them in muggle books. Thought it would be something you like if you choose to accept."

He saw Karri smiling, which made his heart feel the warmth he missed when she's not around.

"I'm not with you just to protect you, Karri-"

Karri's smile fell.

"I'm with you because I am in love with you. You're my light. My happiness. I need you. You're my everything."

"Sirius-"

"Let me finish." He begs.

Karri nods, agreeing to let Sirius finish.

"When we first met, I felt something. Something I have never felt while living at the Black House Hold. The feeling was scary at first but then the more time we spent together...I relaxed a little. I only dated Marlene to see if my feelings for you were gone. But instead they got stronger."

Karri raised an eyebrow. But Sirius saw the smile forming on her lips.

"I want you to be in my life forever. I want you to be my wife. But this ring is a promise. Meaning we're meant to be together but it's too early to get married. It's a promise to you and to me that we will always be together forever. A promise that our love is real. A promise forever."

Sirius saw the tears in her eyes as she nodded.

"Yes." She says running towards him. "I will always say yes to you Sirius."

Sirius kissed her. Of course, she kissed him back. As their lips danced Sirius slipped the ring on her figure. Sirius hold her close, deepening the kiss.