Chapter 2: Anxious

Chapter Two: Anxious

"You're strong-you're so, so strong. It's why I love you."

-Dimitri, Shadow Kiss

Lissa POV

I really hadn't meant to snap at Christian. Bless his heart he was doing all he could to make me comfortable but these damn pregnancy hormones were kicking my behind. Not to mention but Christian was getting on my nerves. He had already baby proofed our whole house and was bombarding me with name ideas. Not to mention the constant nagging about my diet and work load. I had literally had enough.

Christian had been the same exact way when I was pregnant with Andre, but this time around was ten times worse. If I so much as sneezed, he jumped.

So I had finally snapped. Not to mention I was even more irritated that he had found the coffee machine I had asked Rose to sneak in for me. I felt like a prisoner in my own home, and with all the people breathing down my neck lately I needed to escape.

Except that wasn't going to happen. Nope.

I had too much on the table right now. The Queen was breathing down my neck about the recent kidnapping along with the recent spreading news about Leila's incident. On top of that the Queen was concerned that since I was not at Court, that I was not getting the right amount of face time with the public.

I was aching for a break. I kicked off my work flats and let my toes sink into the carpet of my office.

On top of everything, I missed my family. Andre had been distant, not wanting much to do with me. He was probably upset that I had not been around much. The thought saddened me but in the end I knew that what I was doing was right.

And to top everything off, Leila's vision of my soon to be death had me on edge. I was burning to tell Rose but something about her aura lately showed she too was in her own turmoil. I knew if she knew I was withholding information like this she would be furious. She was always ready to jump in the line of fire for me. That strength about her I envied. With my looming death on the brink, I couldn't muster enough strength to not be depressed and fearful. Since Leila's revelation to me, I had lived my life in a constant state of panic. A state I knew was fueled even more by spirit.

I was aching for my magic, but it was impossiable to wield it while six months pregnant.

I sighed in relief at this stolen moment of silence.

A moment that did not last as long as I had hoped. I nearly growled when I heard a knock at my door. I did not have time to register who it was before Adrian walked right in with his great aunt trailing behind him.

Jumping up from my seat as fast as I could seeing how I was pregnant, I walked around the side of my desk and bowed.

"Your Majesty. I wasn't expecting to see you."

Tatiana waved her hand dismissing me and glanced at my feet and smiled a bit. I almost turned bright red realizing I wasn't wearing any shoes. Adrian plumped down in an armchair.

Tatiana also took a seat and I took that as I cue to hide my naked feet behind my desk as I too sat down.

"Princess, it has been too long. I see congratulations are in order. " She glanced down at my growing tummy and smiled. I smiled and thanked her. The room fell into an awkward silence and I felt my nerves getting the best of me. The Queen did not just make a random trip to the Academy unexpected unless something was really wrong.

As if on cue, she clapped her hands and started speaking, "Well Princess might as well get to it." She paused and folded her hands in her lap, "With the upcoming election and Veronica Voda planning her teenage daughter's wedding I came to personally invite and encourage you to spend this summer at Court. I know we had planned on making it a one week trip next month but with all the buzz and hype it would be best if you started making some attempt to gain the public's vote."