Chapter 8: 24 Hour Love Maintenance

I apologize for the chapter delays. I finished writing this story and then accidently deleted the entire file. I've been rewriting the last few months.

Before reading, I want to point out that this chapter may contain some adult rated language or actions.

Chapter 8: 24 Hour Love Maintenance

"If I let myself love you, I won't throw myself in front of her. I'll throw myself in front of you."

― Richelle Mead, Vampire Academy

ALANA POV

I followed Eric as he rushed out the door in a flash, making twists and turns down the streets of Court and asking questions as he went. However, the gossip mill was already working wonders because everywhere we turned, we knew Leila had been just by the swarm of chitchat filling the air.

I rushed to keep up with Eric, but he began to slow as we approached a quieter area of Court. An area I did not recall ever really visiting before. The streets here were a bit damper and grimier then the streets I was used to that were filled with freshly watered trees and music. These streets seemed almost abandoned as there was barely passerby roaming around.

"Eric, where are we?" I asked as he slowed enough for me to keep in step with him. I didn't see any signs of Leila and I truly didn't believe she would be caught anywhere near here, angry or not.

"This is the slumps, Alana. Not all Moroi are filthy rich you know. But then again, it's not usually everyday Moroi who roam here. This is what Court likes to refer to as blood whore country. Filled with bars and brothels."

And as he spoke, I knew he was telling the truth. The buildings all seemed to be unmarked around here. And the ones that were marked read things such as "24-hour service". I felt my nose crinkle a bit that there was a community of dhampirs who chose to live this way. But then I felt ashamed for being judgmental of the other half. I had always dreamed of being a guardian. There had never been another choice for me. But what would have become of me if I didn't have a mother like Rose Hathaway? Would I have ended up here?

The thought had chills running down my spine as I felt myself shrink a bit closer to Eric. He took notice of the action, and a peculiar look crossed his face. He still would not meet my eyes but the expression he held I could not tell if it was understanding or disappointment.

"I don't think Leila would be here." I said as we took yet another turn.

Eric sighed, "No I don't think so either. But in all honesty, I've never worked these streets yet. I have no clue where we really are."

I felt the urge to prompt him that we should stop and ask but ask who? The streets were bare now. The only signs of life where the clinking of glasses behind doors and the flickering lights in the drape covered windows.

I was about to suggest we enter one of the establishments, until we stopped in front of a maintance elevator with the Ivashkov family crest. The royal family crests.

Eric stopped and pulled back the metal grate that was covering the elevators front.

"Come on. Theres a whole other side of Court you have never seen before. All we must do is take this elevator to the bottom levels and navigate back to the Royal Quarters. I'm sure Leila went back to your room."

I was rather skeptical of how an elevator was the answer to all our questions but edged my way inside as Eric held the grate open.

"And where is this going to take us?" I questioned as he closed the grate and the elevator door shut.

Eric wiped his hands on his pants and pressed a button, "It should take us to the bottom levels. There's a whole town underground basically that guardians use. Well mostly just the royal guardian staff but we all know about them."