Chapter 4: Better Late Then Never

"Only a true best friend can protect you from your immortal enemies" Richelle Mead, Vampire Academy

Dimitri POV

Since the first day I had met Rose I had learned a lot about her. From the way she always had to be right to the way she rolled her eyes at any and every remotely absurd thing. But above all I had come to learn one very important fact.

Always expect the unexpected.

Which was probably why my feet were now plastered to the bathroom floor. Once again, Rose was throwing me a curve ball.

It felt like years, before I finally blinked and placed the negative pregnancy test back in the waste basket.

But it seemed impossible to return to Rose's bed side now. So instead I did what I always did best: I sat down on her living room couch and pulled a random (yet rare) book from Rose's book shelf and tried to lose myself.

That task proved impossible as why mind kept wandering to that plastic test that I had stumbled upon. The sunset was peaking out from behind the curtains as I sighed and covered my eyes with my wrist as a wave of possibilities circled around in my head.

It was still impossible for me to wrap my head around the fact that Rose and I, two dhampirs, could reproduce together. Yet Rose being shadow kissed was a weird quirk that seemed so undiscovered in so many ways. Memories of our encounter in the kitchen filled my head and the sheer fact that, I as a man had been careless. Not once had Rose's health and the possibility of another child ever crossed my mind. I mentally chastised myself for my pure stupidity.

Yet thoughts of little feet running around one day put a smile on my face. The possibilities of having more kids with Rose was endless. Yet there was the scary fact that there was a lot I didn't know about Rose's pregnancy with Alana and from small things I had picked up in the last few months at the Academy, they were not pleasant memories.

Heck, there was things I hardly knew about where Rose and I stood in our current relationship.

Somewhere between daydreaming and my own guilt I must have found sleep. Because the next thing I knew I was being shaken awake by a messy haired Rose who looked as if hell had just frozen over.

"Dimitri hurry. Wake up! What are you doing down here anyways?"

I sat up as the book propped on my chest slid to the floor and I wiped sleep from my eyes.

"I must have fallen asleep." I murmured as my thoughts caught up with me and I refused to meet Rose's curious eyes. I was too ashamed really. I couldn't process the fact that I just didn't know where our relationship stood. Oh, how my life path had swayed off track so much.

"Why are you down here anyways?" Rose asked placing a hand on my shoulder, "You're drenched in sweat."

I could sense the distaste and confusion in her voice but I ignored it as I stood up, and started heading towards the front door.

"It's nothing really Rose. I just forgot I actually had plans this morning with Viktoria."

And before she could protest or even answer, I was out the door into the nice cool air of a summer night heading far away from Rose.

I couldn't think straight. My head felt as if was spinning on its axis and my heart was consumed with so much distaste for myself.

What was I sitting here waiting for?

I had given Rose enough time to process my return and that fact that I would always be in her life. I wanted her and I was almost certain she wanted me as well.