Chapter One

Cole whimpers as crystal like tears run down his cheeks. This was it. She was really gone. And Cole couldn't take it. Not even ten minutes ago, his father forced him away from his mother and now Cole has locked himself in his room. Grabbing his pillow, Cole stuffs his face into it and cries, floating up slightly in the water.

A rush of cool water hits his ears, making Cole glance up. A school of fish just flew past his window, which is slightly ajar.

Surely he won't notice if I slip out for a while.

Quietly opening his window more, Cole slips out. Closing his window from the outside, Cole slowly swims away and then looks around.

The cove is lit up as the mid afternoon sun rays filter through the cove's walls. He takes one last look into his bedroom before swimming in the direction of the coral reef, out of his cove.

Tears are streaming down Cole's face when he arrives at the Reef. The multicoloured corals shine in the sunlight, swaying slightly in the water. Schools of fish filter between the corals.

Looking around, Cole spots a blurry rock, handing over a rock ledge, an almost perfect hiding spot. Swimming over, Cole places one hand on the overhanging rock and pushes himself inside. Sinking onto the rock, Cole's heartbroken sobs fill the reef.

𓆉𓆉𓆉

Kai sighs when he arrives back in his cove. The Siren hideout was a complete bust. The whole place was empty. Apparently they'd been warned and had fled before the team got there. Setting his trident down on his bed, he sinks onto it.

A light flurry of bubbles zips past his door. Swimming towards it, he pokes his head out. His younger sister has just gone by, her pale blue tail shining in the sunlight.

"Hey sis."

The young mermaid jolts and spins around, the lower half of her tail disappearing behind a shower of bubbles. A bright smile comes across her face when she sees him. She raises a hand in a wave before swimming over to him. He smiles and slides out of his room properly.

"Hey sis, I'm going out to the Reef...to take my mind off things. Tell mom and dad?"

She smiles and nods, giving him a quick hug before swimming off, presumably to find Jay.

Kai swims out of the house and out into the ocean.

Approaching the Reef, there's a faint sound that catches his attention. Curiosity getting the better of him, he swims closer. The sound seems to be coming from the small rock hideout, one Kai always hid in when he was younger.

Slowly swimming past, a dark brown tail bobs up and down, shaking. Tilting his head, his eyes widen slightly. A dark skinned merman is curled up on the bottom rock, shaking as tears stream down his face. His shoulder length black hair bobbing slightly in the water as his whole body shook.

He's hot

Kai shakes his head slightly, trying to get rid of that thought. Kai starts to swim over but stops himself. He probably doesn't want me to go over. But...he looks like he needs the comfort. Kai sighs, takes a look over his shoulder before slowly swimming over.

Kai places a gentle hand on the male's muscular shoulder. He jolts underneath Kai's hand and tries to swim backwards. Kai retracts his hand.