Chapter Five

The first thing he feels is a soft blanket on top of him. A soft pillow is supporting his head. His eyes blink open, the pale ceiling blurry and spinning. Blinking multiple times, his eyes finally adjust, he looks down, his body is covered up in a fluffy red blanket. Reaching out, he wraps his somewhat shaking fingers around it, relaxing once the soft material is in his hand. His other hand is holding something else.

Turning his head to the left, he spots Kai sunk into a chair, asleep, and holding his hand. A heavy blush dusts across his cheeks at the feeling. It felt nice, he couldn't deny that. And he felt safe.

"K-Kai."

Cole jolts at how hoarse and quiet his voice is. What happened? He intertwines his fingers with Kai's, craving the feeling of comfort. A sharp pain rattles through his ribs and up his arms. Squeezing his eyes shut, he squeezes Kai's hand, trying to ease the pain.

A soft gasp alerts him that Kai's woken up. He turns his head back towards Kai's direction. Once the pain subsides, he opens his eyes. Kai's dark brown eyes are staring down into his. He's so hot. Cole uses his free hand to try and sit up.

"Hey, hey, slow down. Take it easy," Kai lets go of Cole's hand, and slips them under Cole, helping him to sit up.

Kai sinks back down onto his seat. Hold my hand! Please!

"What happened out there?"

"I-I," Cole murmurs, "I don't remember."

Kai's eyes soften and he leans forward slightly.

"When I got to you. You were extremely pale and almost unconscious. You...you were covered in cuts and bruises. I only just got you help in time."

So I nearly died? At least I'd get to see my mum again.

Cole looks down at the blanket, picking at a loose thread. A splash of bubbles catches his attention. Looking up, he notices Kai at the door.

"I'll go and tell your father you're awake, he's been really worried about you."

Cole nods softly, regretting it when his head pounds.

"Cole!" Lou calls out, the moment he's in the doorway. Not even half a second later, he's scooped Cole into his arms and hugging him. Cole leans against his shoulder.

𓆉𓆉𓆉
"She...she was the love of my life and...and I'll miss you so much Lilly."

Lou swims away from the podium and back to his seat, giving Cole's hand a soft squeeze. Cole reluctantly swims up to the podium and shakily clears his throat.

"My mom, Lilly, w-was one of the best people in my life," Cole sniffles, "s-she was always there for me a-and I-I don't know w-what I'm going to d-do without her."

And then he broke down.