Chapter Six

It's been a week since Lilly's funeral and Cole hasn't left his room. Until today.

Today, Cole decides to brave the Reef. Swimming into the Reef, the coral around him glows in the sunlight. He swims up into the cave and swims towards the back, sinking onto the floor.

Ten minutes later, there's a wave of bubbles, sprinkling around the entrance. Looking up, Cole's lips curl into a smile when he spots a familiar red tail.

"K-Kai?" He calls out uncertainly.

Kai's head pops down from the top of the cave. A wide smile comes across his face when he spots Cole. Swimming in, Kai wraps Cole in a hug. Cole hugs him back and leans against Kai, the feeling of safety instantly coming back. Kai smiles, loving the feeling of holding Cole in his arms. He had from the moment he'd comforted him in this cave a little under three weeks ago.

"I missed you," Kai murmurs into Cole's hair.

"I-I missed you too," Cole murmurs back.

"How have you been?"

"I...I'm not sure. I-I've just been feeling numb and I've not been wanting to do anything."

"That's okay, it's normal," Kai rubs Cole's back gently.

"I-I guess," Cole murmurs.

"It's gonna be okay. I'm here."

Cole smiles and leans into Kai more.

"Cole...can I do something?"

Cole's hand snaps up to look at Kai, eyes wide.

"I'm not gonna hurt you."

Cole bites his lip and nods. One of Kai's hands trails down to his chin, tilting his head up. Cole's eyes widen as Kai slowly leans in and presses his lips onto Cole's. Cole wraps his arms around Kai's neck and slowly kisses back, a little uncertain.

Kai pulls away, looking down at Cole's extremely red face, causing him to chuckle.

"So...I love you."

"I-I love you too."

"I guess we're dating now?" Kai questions.

Cole nods and rests his head on Kai's shoulder.

"Yeah, I guess we are."