Regret

“Anneyo, Handsome.”

Jin winces at the pull of his hair, his hand clenched on the leader's wrist. He tries to squeeze his fingers around the wrist with hope and courage but it is futile when the leader does not flinch at all. The sight of him struggling to be released is entertaining the leader.

“Ha-Hajima...” Jimin states weakly, as he cannot bear seeing Jin being treated that way. “Leave- Leave him alone... Jebal, Sung-hyung.”

The leader by the name of Sunghee laughs heartily and instead of obliging to Jimin's plea, he steps on Jin's hand, eliciting a sharp wail of pain. Jimin reacts angrily, fighting back the restraining arms and shouting unclear screams. Sunghee claps, elated to watch the weak in his control.

Barely amazed, Jin grits his teeth and summons all his strength to his legs. With one swing of his right leg Jin twists his body and spins, successfully kicked Sunghee on the legs and floored him. The others are stunned by Jin's quick movement as they stare at Jin setting himself free from Sunghee's grip. It is as though it is the first time they have seen anyone escaped from Sunghee's grip.

Jin stands awkwardly, slouching forward and fists held in a way boxers do. He suppresses the pain pulsing on his scalp and fingers, his eyes glaring right to the leader's eyes.

“Yah, kiseki. Don't underestimate me,” Jin states in between breaths.

Sunghee stretches a malicious grin, dusting off his pants where he was kicked by Jin.

“How feisty. I like that alot, pretty boy.”

“Hajima! Stop calling me that. I'm definitely older than you!”

Sunghee nods and slides a hand into a pocket in his jacket. Jin holds his breath, his instincts sending alarming signals to be careful of what is going to happen next. Jimin seems to know as his struggling becomes violent.  The two companions exchange playful looks and both give Jimin the last blow on the stomach, sending Jimin unconscious.

“Jimin!”

Jin shrieks out of shock. Sunghee cackles darkly before pulling out a Swiss knife, flicking the blade for show. Jin has his mind laser-focused on the weapon. His hands are up, guarding himself. The noise coming from the other gangsters is trying to distract him, but he dares not lift an eye off Sunghee.

“Yah, put that down! It's dangerous!” Jin warns feverishly.

Sunghee ignores his warning and smirks. “Jinjja? Dangerous? I haven’t started telling you what I am going to do.”

“No more, Jinjja!” Jin refuses to listen. “Put it down!”

Chortling, Sunghee takes a step forward. Jin feels his adrenaline pump greatly within a heartbeat, his mind screaming to get himself out of there. Jin manages to glance at Jimin who is prostrating on the floor, motionless. Jin can feel his skin rippled in worry. The thought of whether Jimin is still breathing haunts him.

“Ha-hajima,” Jin shivers, exchanging his glances with Jimin and Sunghee. “I beg of you. We can talk.”

“You kicked me. That is just rude.”

“Mi-mianhae! I let you kick me back if that makes you happy so jebal! Jebal! Put that thing down, jebal!”

“Shiroyo~” Sunghee sings as he waves the blade towards Jin. “Don’t wanna.”

“Jebal!”

Weehoo! Weehoo!

At the sound of sirens, Jin freezes and searches for the source. Flashing blue and red lights paint the playground, triggering the group of teenagers into panic state.

“Police! Yah, it's the police! Run! Everyone, run!”

Hearing those words shake the ground, all of them dispersed into different directions. The chaotic scene of gangsters fleeing away gives Jin confused signals. He then remembers the dangerous weapon and returns his eyes on the leader.

Sunghee is still staggered at his spot, glaring at Jin. His lack of panic actually terrifies Jin.

This young gangster is mad.

“Calling the cops on us? What a coward,” Sunghee chides, keeping his blade. “Guess the fun ends here.”

Jin swallows and furrows his brows. “Do you really enjoy what you are doing?”

Sunghee has his eyes twitched in annoyance. “Bo? What are you trying to say?”

“You’re the coward.”

Wide stretched eyes of the leader makes Jin smile victoriously.

“Scaring me and Jimin is just a way of you escaping reality. You may not look like you're running away. But in your mind, you're a baby who lacks of attention.”

“Yah!”

Pissed off, Sunghee runs towards Jin with his hand in the jacket. He is quickly held back by his friends who repeatedly warn him to escape. With about four of them pulling him away, Sunghee finally disappears from Jin's sight.

The pressure of dealing with an unreasonable teenager exhausts Jin as he falls on his knees and hands, trembling to exhale his breath of relief. He has never imagined being in a near-death situation with another life to save. Recalling Jimin, Jin uses his last ounce of energy to look up.

Three uniformed policemen run past him, followed by a black hoodie man attending to Jimin. Noticing his blonde hair, Jin grins knowing it is Yoongi.

Good to know that Yoongi did not leave him behind. It is most likely that he knows Jimin means alot to Hoseok. That is what drives him to help.

Yoongi is going to nag at Jin for being careless. It is okay now. Jin does not mind getting an earful as long as Yoongi cares about him, even if it is a little.

This feels nice. The feeling of being grateful to someone you try to trust. 

It is nice to know he has someone he can rely on.

“Yah, Jin-ah!”

Jin hardly realises Yoongi has already reached him. “Yoongi, is Jimin...?”

Yoongi expresses his anger immediately. “Aigoo, worry about yourself first, Pabo-yah! Are you blind?! Can't you see the paramedics already carried him away?! Jin-ah, are you going to faint?!”

“Wh-what?”

“I’m asking you if you feel like fainting. I'll call the Paramedics to carry you too.”

“Ani ani. I can manage.”

“Yah, just faint.”

Jin groans as he sits up and looks at Yoongi in the eyes. “Eh?”

“Make it easy for me, okay?”

A hard smack lands on Yoongi's shoulder, followed by a chuckle from Jin.

“Ani. I want you to help me walk,” Jin grins playfully.

“Aish! Aigoo! Jinjja, Jin-ah!” Yoongi grunts like a grumpy old man.

“Jinjja, gomawo. Thank you, Yoongi-ah.”

“Ara ara. I know I'm a good person,” Yoongi smirks and gently supports Jin up to stand on his own feet.

“Do you think Jimin will be okay?” Jin asks, still feeling worried.

“Genchana,” Yoongi assures him as they walk forward. “He probably fainted out of shock.”

***

Hoseok cannot believe his ears.

After receiving a call from Jin, Hoseok dashes towards the hospital. He has never taken a taxi for a long time unless it is an emergency.

Reaching the level of the wards, Hoseok runs out of the elevator and searches for the ward where Jimin is resting. The emergency beds are occupied with many patients coming for many different kind of reasons. Hoseok looks at every bed, finding the number hidden behind visitors or equipment.

“Oh, Hope. Over here!”

Hoseok hears his nickname, catching the glimpse of Jin waving at him. Quick on his feet, Hoseok approaches Jin and looks ahead at the unconscious lad lying on the bed.

“Omo, Chimchim!”

Hoseok cries, his hands gripping the side of the bed. He looks up and down, eyeing on the bandages wrapping around his arms and torso. Jin grins sadly, seeing how worried Hoseok has been. Jin wants to calm him down by reaching his hand, only to realise his knuckles are bleeding and bruised. It was because of Sunghee's stepping on them.

When Hoseok turns, Jin quickly hides his injured hand and he smiles to calm Hoseok down.

“What did the doctor say? How bad is his injury?” Hope asks, wiping back his tears.

Jin looks at Jimin who is unaware how much pain and worry he is giving to Hoseok.

“He has bruises around his stomach and chest. The doctors are looking at his X-ray scans for fractures as we speak.”

“Aigoo, Chimchim,” Hoseok gasps behind his hand. “Eottogae? What should I do with you?”

“Should you call his parents?” Jin asks.

Hoseok shakes his head furiously. “I’m his guardian. I’ll pay his bills and medicines.”

“Don't you think they need to know what happened to him?”

“Ani, they would not care. This... this is not the first time,” Hoseok lets a tear drop across his cheek. “Jimin does not deserve this. Wae? Why did this happen? He promised me.”

Jin tilts his head. “What promise?”

Hoseok looks at Jin and returns to view the resting lad. “He promised he won’t fight with anyone. He won't raise his fists to anyone, even if it is his bullies from his previous school.”

“Araso. That is why he did nothing.”

Hoseok hears a voice unfamiliar to him. He turns around to find Yoongi holding two cans of soda.

“Yoongi-hyung. You are here,” Hoseok states what he is thinking.

Yoongi approaches Hoseok and offers him a can of soda. Hoseok appears confused but he accepts it anyway. Jin snorts at how Yoongi forgets about Jin when he sees Hoseok. That soda is supposed to be for Jin, by the way.

“This kid called me over,” Yoongi states despite how annoyed he is about it. “I wouldn’t come if he didn’t threaten me. He said he will beat Jin up, jinja.”

Hoseok sniffles and looks down at the soda in his own hand. “He went to confront you. Is it because of me?”

Yoongi fidgets, thinking of how to answer him when Hoseok bows lowly, his soft feathery hair flowing down to hide his saddened expression. Jin wants to comfort Hoseok, telling him that it is not his fault. Watching Hoseok in his quiet weak state stops him. Perhaps it is best to give Hoseok and Jimin some alone time.

Hoseok already felt guilty about the bump of their heads earlier and to know he was the reason Jimin confronted Yoongi but the gangsters mobbed Jimin instead, Hoseok is going to lose his shit.

Yoongi raises his hand, hoping to grab Hoseok and pull him for an embrace but Jin grips Yoongi's shoulder instead, shaking head at the blonde. Yoongi returns him an annoyed look that he is not going to agree on leaving Hoseok like this.

Jin pulls Yoongi away from Hoseok and looks at Hoseok before bowing to him. “Mianhae, Hoseok.”

Hoseok jumps up, feeling startled at Jin's sudden apology. “Jin Hyung.”

Jin raises his head and smiles. “If I've told you earlier what Jimin planned to do, you could've stopped him. He only listens to you after all.”

Hoseok looks away, bubbles of frustration popping on his forehead. “I guess you didn't trust me after all.”

“Yah, this kid was careless-” Yoongi wants to interrupt but Jin stops him.

“Mianhae,” Jin grins softly. “I will return to my dorm today so I will see you tomorrow. Hoseok-ah, if you're planning to stay here, let's grab dinner before we leave.”

“I have no appetite to eat now.”

“Hoseok-ah,” Jin searches for his eyes and fixes a firm connection of their gazes on each other. “I’ll buy you dinner. Let me make it up to you, jebal.”

Hoseok nods weakly and turns away to look at Jimin. Jin pats him on the back and looks at Yoongi, signalling him to leave as well. Yoongi is conflicted, obviously not accepting the way the conversation has ended.

“Yah, Jin. We shouldn’t just leave him like that,” Yoongi sounds anxious as they march down the corridor.

Jin is however starting to feel the pain biting on his knees. He then recalls how the pain is there in the first place. Letting Yoongi know will not help him, especially when he is more concerned over Hoseok.

“I’m going to stay over. Jinjja.”

Jin huffs angrily and looks at Yoongi after hearing his firm decision. “You being around will not help him at all! Are you going to drown him with guilt or something?!”

Yoongi smirks. “I didn’t say I will be right next to him. I will just be nearby. Aish, I just have this bad feeling that those goofballs will not let it go so easily.”

“Are you saying they will sneak in and attack Hope?” Jin widens his eyes in worry.

“That is just my thought. From the way they are so fixated in hurting that kid, I feel there is some unfinished business going on. I have no idea what it is but if they are going to make a scene when Hoseok is there, I want to be there and stop them,” Yoongi explains his worry and pats on Jin’s shoulder. “Mianhae, but you have to head back to the dorm on your own. I’ll get his dinner and watch him from afar. If there’s anything, I will update you.”

“But, Yoongi-ah,” Jin responds quickly and it halts Yoongi from turning away.

“What?” Yoongi raises both his brows at Jin.

Jin gulps, not succumbing to the churning pain on his knees. He feels he will sound selfish if he voices out his pain. Jin is a little afraid he cannot return to the dorm by himself with his current condition but if what Yoongi said can happen, he would choose Yoongi to be there for his dongsaengs.

Hope and Jimin only have each other. As a Hyung, Jin wants to be there for them too but he has to settle with his dorm master on the same night.

“Yah, Jin. Genchana?” Yoongi starts to think that the pause between them has a reason behind it. Before Yoongi changes his mind, Jin grins and pats Yoongi on the back.

“I’m counting on you,” Jin says loudly followed by holding Yoongi by the shoulders and turning him away. “Go already.”

Jin begins to walk towards a different direction, leaving Yoongi alittle clueless.

“Yah, call me when you reach the dorm!”

“Ara, Eomma!” Jin waves a backhand at Yoongi.

Yoongi grumbles behind a smile. “Pabo Kim Seok Jin. I hope he really goes back and have some rest. He is walking like he is going to die, jinjja.”

***

The pain in his knees is slowly killing him. Jin almost trips on his own foot. He is almost thinking whether he should ditch the idea of leaving the hospital. He wants to find a corner and sleep. If Yoongi finds him, that can spell trouble too.

Jin sighs and looks up at the sign above. The toilet is nearby.

Perhaps washing his face will help. The hospital is quite huge and the way to the exit seems so far than he imagined. Jin walks into the toilet which is practically empty. There are only three cubicles with one occupied. He drags his feet towards the sink and hunches forward before gripping the edge of the sink for support. He opens the tap, letting the water run and its sound filling his ears.

Whatever happened earlier still scares him. The adrenaline in his body continues to stay active, but instead of giving him energy, it makes his heartbeat race as fast as a bullet train. He cannot help feeling regret not stopping Jimin when he had the chance.

“It’s pointless,” Jin sheds a tear eventually. “Why am I still thinking about it, aigoo?”

A writhing hiss escapes involuntarily, his knees begging to buckle and rest. Jin reaches out his hand to the running water and collect enough to splash his face.

He suddenly spills them when he hears the door of the toilet open with a loud thud. He looks over his shoulder, marring an angry face at the rudeness of the unexpected visitor.

“Anneyo, Pretty Boy.”

Jin chokes on his saliva, facing Sunghee who makes his appearance. “You, wae?”

The young leader of the gang smirks as two of his friends come behind him. One of his minions locks the door while the other passes the leader a long metal rod. Sunghee chuckles as soon as he grips the pole because he is excited to see the horrified expression on Jin’s face.

Sunghee takes a step forward. “Did you miss me?”

“Ani!” Jin breathes out desperately, finally giving in to his hurt knees as he falls helplessly on the floor. “Jebal, stop it.”

“Why would I? This stinky place is much better than the playground. It is just one of those places without cameras, you know?” Sunghee licks his lips. “No one but me and my gang will watch you as I make you pay the price of reporting us to the cops.”

Jin grits his teeth, dragging himself backwards and only does he stop when his back is pasted to the wall. The tear that taints his cheek is joined with streams of teardrops, both induced by the pain and the fear of the inability to save himself.

“Aigoo, jinjja,” Sunghee says as he stops a few steps close to Jin. “Look at you. Wavering like a drowned animal. Where is your big pride of being older than me, yah? You should know your place and you should have never intervened. Remember this face, Pretty Boy. Because you are going to see me a lot from now on.”

“Jebal,” Jin rubs his hands, begging him to stop.

Sunghee tightens his grip on the pole and glares at Jin with the most menacing eyes. “Who… Who the hell are you to that rat?”

Jin blinks at the sudden question and thinks quickly that Sunghee could have meant Jin’s relationship with Jimin.

“Talk now!”

Jerked at the yell, Jin looks down. “Jimin… He is… my friend.”

“What?” Sunghee scoffs. “A friend?”

“I… I have friends…” Jin grins amidst his tears, clinging on the smallest hope that he can depend on. “Even though… I am… alone now, I know… I have friends.”

Sunghee hisses, raising the pole high above his head. “You really irritate me! You really think that rat will come here and save you?! As if I will let him or anyone of your stupid friends in! Watch me as I hammer you until you feel you are the most useless piece of shit ever exist!”

His friends laugh at the profanity while Sunghee positions himself, swinging the pole backwards and in any time to whack Jin. The older lad braces himself, not knowing how much pain he will be suffering on top of his knees. All he could pray now is that he faints and will not spectate the torture waiting for him.

Amidst his silent prayers, he cannot dismiss the abrupt sound of a toilet bowl being flushed down. Sunghee and the two friends remain staggered, shock washed over their faces for overlooking the fact that there is someone in the cubicle. Sunghee is not backing out at all because he changes his target from Jin to the one inside.

“Yah! Come out now, you coward! You think it’s some show for you to watch, kiseki-ya!”

A dark chuckle is all he gets before the cubicle door swings open and a leg spring out to kick Sunghee and his pole off the floor. The two friends rush backwards, barely even looking at the sprawled leader as their eyes arrow on the one who kicked.

Jin has been holding his breath, immersed in regret that someone else will fall victim to these bunch of gangsters. He widens his eyes, trying his best to look through his glassy vision from his tears.

A shiny black polished leather shoe steps out, followed by flapping of crispy ironed blazer with cuffs adorned by a gold pin. When Jin looks up to find the face, he cannot figure out who he is.

Then, he hears the voice of this mysterious hero, which is the only thing he needs to hear and easily identify.

“Genchana, Handsome Hyung-nim?”

Jin gapes, as his sight becomes clear, allowing the dark caramel eyes and cheeky smile soothe him.

“V?”

*****
A/N: Hoohoo. Finally some V and Jin interaction coming soon!

Anw, this story was long overdue and I apologize deeply for my lack of activity in updating this. Lucky me it is a long weekend and I have some time in my hand. So I hope you enjoyed this long chapter!!!