chapter two - answers needed

"I understand that, Kylo! But you know how I feel about those kinds of things."

"You get nowhere without instilling fear into these people. When will you realize that?"

"There were children there, Kylo! They were defenseless and-"

"I am your Commander! You know better than to question my commands!"

"And you know that I am your second in command! Do I not have a say in things? Does my input mean nothing to you?"

"You need to learn to keep your opinions to yourself and let me do what I need to."

"Well, sometimes what you think isn't always the right thing to do! Snoke says we were meant to be equal, but you use your title to belittle me!"

"I do not belittle-"

"Oh, for Stars Sake! Will you take that stupid thing off?" I yelled, referring to his helmet. His modulated voice was driving me out of my mind. "It's like I'm talking to a droid!"

Kylo was silent and then slowly removed his helmet. He let it rest on his lap as he focused on the black emptiness of the galaxy before us. 

"Thank you!" I said as I huffed and let myself slouch back into my seat.

"Sam," Kylo said quietly. My heart fluttered. How I missed the sound of his real voice. Hide your thoughts, Samoria, hide your thoughts.

"I do value your opinion. You know I do. I wouldn't be where I am without your help and support. Some things need to be done the way I need them too. One day, I will be the Supreme Leader and I need to lead like the Supreme Leaders before me. That is just the way that things are done."

I turned my head to the side and did not respond. I crossed my arms over my chest in annoyance. 

"Snoke thinks you are weak."

I rolled my head back toward him, "You don't think I know that?"

"I know you have no Light in you, Sam."

Ah, yes. The Light Side and Dark Side talk again. When Kylo and I first began our training with Snoke, he had a feeling there was still Light in me. He put me through a series of tests to prove my loyalty to the Dark Side, which I passed effortlessly. However, I still felt guilt. I felt empathy. I felt hopelessness. But Snoke had explained to us that the Force had made my emotions stronger than normal. This meant my anger was greater, my ferociousness, my hatred. This is why neither Snoke or Kylo gave up on me. I knew one day I would be powerful, I just needed time. 

"Whatever Light I had in me left me a long, long time ago." I sighed.

"I know that."

We were silent for a while. I felt his hand on my thigh and jumped. My heart was racing.

"Sam, can you please look at me?" 

I huffed and turned toward him. Every irritated and annoying thought left my mind as I met his big, brown eyes. Every tense muscle relaxed and I started to feel myself again.

"You know I cannot carry out this mission without you. You are my rock during all of this. Skywalker..." he trailed off.

"Kylo, I know. You don't have to-"

"Skywalker ruined everything. He ruined my future. He ruined what little hope I had for myself."

"But we are making new lives for ourselves, new futures." I put my arm on his shoulder, "The First Order is our greatest success, and we have so much more to succeed in. The name Skywalker will soon never be thought of again."