𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

eden

i woke up probably two hours after we got home from the party because of the sunlight shining directly from lauren's window onto my face. i instantly felt the side effects of the many drinks i had thrown back the night before and reacted with a small groan,

it took some work to get untangled from lauren and emily's limbs sprawled across the bed in the awkward position that we fell asleep in earlier this morning. after a minute i was able to get off the bed without waking up either of the girls and like the kind friend that i am, i closed the curtains so neither of them would be woken up by the light as well.

without taking so much as a glance into a mirror, i walked downstairs to get a glass of water. as quietly as possible i tiptoed down the hall on the way to the kitchen where i found johnny. he was sitting on a barstool at the counter looking at his phone.

after standing there for a few seconds he looked up and met my eyes. just as he did the night before, i watched his eyes travel up and down my body and a light smirk was plastered across his face.

"you look like a mess." he jokes.

"you really are quite the charmer, orlando." i reply, slightly rolling my eyes.

feeling slightly self conscious, i look around for a mirror and find one that was in the hallway i just walked out of. i step toward it and my eyes widen when i see my appearance. i am faced with the reflection of a girl with mascara smudged in a large amount under her eyes, lipstick smeared across the side of her mouth, and hair looking like she hadn't combed it in at least a week.

"oh shit, i really do look terrible." i mutter to myself.

"i hope you know i was joking." johnny says, "no amount of ruined makeup or tousled hair could make me see you as anything other than attractive."

i glance over at him briefly before turning back to the mirror so as to make sure he couldn't see how much that compliment made my face violently red. i run my fingers through my hair a few times which helps slightly, but not much.

once i am somewhat satisfied with image i walk into the kitchen. i feel johnny's eyes on me as i head straight for the sink to wash off some of the residual makeup. once i notice the tinted water circling down the sink into the drain become clear again i turn off the tap and dry my hands on a nearby towel.

"where are the glasses?" i ask realizing that i have no idea where anything in the kitchen is held.

"that cabinet," johnny says pointing to the cabinet just to the right of where i was standing.

i open it and find myself struggling to reach the glasses at the high shelf which they are placed on. i recognize the sound of a stool being pushed back and the soft footsteps walking in my direction.

within seconds i feel johnny less than an inch behind me, reaching above my outstretched arm and grabbing a glass. i turn around and find myself with very little space between me and him. so close that i can feel his breath fanning my face as he looks down from my eyes to my lips and back up. i mirror that motion before quickly pulling away and lightly shaking my head.

i grab the glass from him and walk toward the refrigerator and filling it up with water.

"do you want a pill or something?" johnny asks.

"what?" i question distractedly.

"well i assume you have a headache considering how much you drank last night." he lightly laughs.

"oh, right, yes please." i say.

i watch him leave the room and return a few moments later holding a small bottle labeled 'ibuprofen'. i mumble a "thank you" and take three small pills from the bottle. i look over and see that johnny has returned to the same position that i found him in upon walking into the kitchen and see no reason for conversation so i make my way back upstairs to lauren's room.

when i enter i see that both girls are still asleep and go to grab my phone to check the time. i realize that i had forgotten to put my phone on the charger once we got back so it wasn't helpful. i threw it into my bag along with the rest of my belongings that i could find and finally came across a clock that read '11:32 A.M.' and i decided i should probably get home where i would send the girls a text to assure them of where i was.

once i am sure that i have everything that i brought, which truly was only a few things, i walked back downstairs.

"hey would you mind driving me home?" i ask johnny, shyly.

"not at all." he smiles.

since the drive was so short we didn't get the chance to talk about anything but once the car was stopped i thanked him and watched him drive back in the direction we came from. i walked up to my front door and quickly got inside before taking off my shoes and setting them by the door.

as i walk further into my house i see my parents looking quite displeased standing in the kitchen.

"is everything alright?" i ask and they both jerk their heads in my direction.

"where have you been?" my mom practically yells at me.

"i went to a party and stayed over at a friend's house." i reply calmly, "i told you a few days ago and you agreed to let me go."

"that is incorrect, i have heard nothing of this." my mom says.

"i also left a note before i left." i explain.

"that's not enough." my dad says.

"why can't you be more responsible, eden. do you really think i don't know what happens at parties?" my mom pronounced.

"why can't you be more like your brother? he would never do such thing." my dad scolded.

"i-" i start before getting cut off.

"that's enough out of you, up to your room. you're lucky we didn't ground you for this immaturity." my mom warned.

i rush to my room and softly shut the door before jumping onto my bed. i mentally curse my parents for putting me in such a terrible mood after an enjoyable night.

i plug in my phone to the charger on the side of my bed and text the girls' group chat informing them that i had gone home and then chose to unpack my bag.

when i was done with that i decided to take a shower to get rid of the grimy feeling i had after the long night of dancing closely between sweaty teenagers and spilled drinks. i returned to my room whilst towel drying my hair and saw a notification from the entire group group chat.