One-

July-28-1974

Arrietty was sleeping in her bed, too distracted in her dream. She turned to the other side of the bed to get more comfortable, facing the window. Forgetting to close the curtain on her window at night, the sunlight was striking down right into her eyes. Arrietty was tightly squeezing her eyes to avoid the direct sunlight, so she turned back to the other side, in desperate need of more sleep. She slightly opened her eyes and saw her clock on the white nightstand. It also seemed that she forgot to set her new alarm clock too. She realized what time it was; time to go to work.

But it was late, really late, it was 9:27 and she had to be at work by 9:30. 'Shit, the third time this week, she's gonna kill me' Arrietty thought. Her work was fifteen minutes away and she had to get ready, although she never took too much time getting ready like other girls did. But that did not matter, she woke up late and knew she didn't want to create this type of reputation.

She quickly got up from the bed and got her clothes from her drawer and put on them as fast as she could. She put on a nice top, a beautiful yellow ochre top with faint white vertical lines that she designed and made herself. It was a V-neck top that revealed her collar bone but not her chest. It had long loose sleeves that reached her fingertips with strings that tied the sleeve to her wrists. Along the top, she wore high-waisted white bell-bottoms that were slightly tight from her thighs and got looser as they went down. And the top was tucked into the bell-bottoms.

She really was proud of herself for making a nice top, she was usually the type of person who thought her work was not good enough but she rose up to her self-esteem. She thought she could do so much more with her talent.

Arrietty rushed to the bathroom and quickly washed her face, and brushed her teeth. She looked at the mirror and saw her caramel-colored hair was a mess. She brushed her hair a bit roughly while looking at the clock on the wall that read 9:34. She was thankful that she showered at night right before going to bed so she didn't need to take one in the morning, either way, there was no time. She got her bag and car keys and hurried to open the door and went outside and ran to the car. She turned the engine on and drove off.

Arrietty was working at Haslet's Fashion, the local unisex clothing shop in a town called Wembley, which is part of London. She had been working there for two years now and was just about to finish her fashion degree, working to maybe open a shop of her own.

The clothing shop was a part-time job where she grew to love where Ms. Haslet was the owner. She was a nice lady in her late forties, had long hair with a few grey strands, and a few wrinkles on her face when she smiled. Arrietty was Ms. Haslet's favorite employee due to the reason that she was kind to the shoppers and was, in fact, the best vendor. She even considered her like her own daughter. Ms. Haslet would always be proud and amazed when Arrietty convinced customers to buy clothing and gave them great fashion tips. Every customer would leave satisfied when Arrietty helped them.

Ms. Haslet also loved the designs she recently shown her on her sketchbook. Every once in a while, Arrietty would show Ms. Haslet the designs she would create with her artistic mind. And as Ms. Haslet turned and flipped the pages of the sketchbook, she would see nothing but talent. She'd see one design either a coat, hat, pants, blouse, or a dress with great detail; she thought she had so much potential and a great future up ahead.

Once Arrietty arrived, she parked near the shop and looked at the time which read 9:49. 'Twenty minutes late' Although she knew she was Ms. Haslet's favorite employee, she was nervous to face her and give a silly excuse. Especially when, now, she was twenty whole minutes late. This has been happening a bit quite often these past weeks. She would show up on time, often, but now she has been five to ten minutes late here and there.