Complicated

"Miss me?" you scoffed

"Like our friendship" you watched him awkwardly stand while he ran his hand through his hair

"Spencer please don't" you made your way over to the edge of the bed. Brushing past Spencer

No matter how much you wanted to hate him you couldn't. You knew he could hurt you a million times and you would still forgive him

"Don't what?" 

"You keep doing this little dance and I'm sick of it. I am so sick of it because I know I will forgive you every time and it's not fair" you swallowed the lump in your throat "You always treat me like shit and then somehow I forget about it and suddenly we're friends and then suddenly were not" 

"Y/n-"

"No six months ago you left me high and dry in my room all alone. I knew that night was a mistake but you didn't even let me talk. I wanted to forget about it and keep having our late night talks or our movie nights but you just told me to give you space and only act professional. Now you come in here deciding for me again." your feet were heavy as you opened the door of your hotel room "Leave"

He didn't say another word and walked out of your room. Deep inside you were hoping he would've refused to leave just like you did months ago. But instead he listened and left. You were leaning against the door holding back your tears hoping he would come back.

Your heart began to race when you heard the knock at your door. You turned around and opened the door

"Hey Sp-... Emily hey" you felt empty again

Pushing that aside you took a look at Emily. She was shaking. There were tears streaming down her face. Her eyes were red and puffy.

"Emily come in" she slowly dragged herself inside you closed the door behind her

She turned to look at you. All you could hear were her hiccups and uneasy breathing. She was trying to speak but no words came out.

"Em come here" you pulled her into a tight hug. Slowly walking her over to you bed so she could sit

"I-.. she... I-" she sobbed into your shoulder

"Shhh" you stroked her hair and held her close as if she could slip away at any moment "You don't have to say anything right now"

You stood up and bent down to take off her shoes. When you got up you helped her lay back and get into the covers. You made sure the door was locked and made your way to sit next to her. She sat up a little bit and leaned into you. You wrapped your arms around her and held her tight. 

"Aubrey said she loved me before I came to work today" she finally managed to get her words out

Emily had finally gone out on a date after JJ announced that Will was finally moving to Virginia. We met Aubrey after two months of Emily not giving away any details on who she was. Knowing Penelope would track her down and be nosey.  Aubrey was a nice young girl also from New York, so both of you got along nicely, she was about the same height as Emily. Slim and toned. Dirty blonde hair with a beautiful set of blue eyes and a perfect smile. You could see her resemblance to JJ very clearly. But you decided no to comment on it and let her be happy.

"And you still love JJ" you said it as a fact more than a question

"I want to say it back, I really do" her cries were softer and her breathing was relaxed

"I love you is a pretty big step" you sigh

"I don't want to end things with Aubrey but this is a really big step towards commitment" she sniffled