12: The Things I Remember and the Things I Don't

George:

I saw it all wash back over her. It was like she had forgotten about all that pain that she was in for a just a little while, and then it hit her again. Like a train going at full speed. She literally dropped onto the couch like her legs had ceased to function. I saw the frustration growing in her eyes. "I should've stayed with her" she muttered "I shouldn't have left her on her own, I should've been there to look after her""

"What about you?" I had said it before I even realised, I had "who looks after you?"

"I don't matter" she said indignantly "she's hurting"

"so are you" I retorted quickly "you think I can't see that smile you've had plastered on your face since you arrived, the first time you actually enjoyed yourself was about ten minutes ago. It's not a bad thing to feel Lia"

"George"

"you're allowed to be upset Lia" I said, as soft as I could "you're allowed to hurt"

"No, I'm not" She stood walking towards the door. I blocked her. "let me go" she said.

"you are allowed to have feelings"

"George, please" she took a step forward, I blocked her again.

"No"

"I don't remember him, Okay?" she exclaimed suddenly, "I don't remember him, what he sounded like, exactly how he looked, the things he did. I don't remember the good things, only the pain, only him dying". Tears, real tears slipped down her beautiful face. "I don't deserve to hurt over a man I don't even remember knowing" she yelled, tears streaks glistening on her face. I grabbed her into a hug and she sobbed on my shoulder.

"It's okay"

"I don't remember" she cried softly. "I, I, I"

"shhh, It's okay" I soothed "I've got you, it's okay"

George:

I don't remember falling asleep on the floor, I certainly don't remember lying down there in the first place. But I was. I was lying on the floor of the living room. I sat up to find Lia curled up in a ball on the couch, sleeping peacefully. Pots and pans were being banged in the kitchen. I got up slowly and tucked the blanket from the back of the couch over her. I opened and closed the door as carefully as I could. My mother was in the kitchen rustling up something that smelled divine. "Morning dear "she said, then she stopped "you look like something ate you up and spit you out, are those the same clothes you were wearing yesterday?"

"yes, I fell asleep on the floor in the living" I said rubbing the back of my neck, which hurt, a lot. Mum went back to the pan. "keep it down, Lia's still asleep"

"I hope she wasn't on the floor with you" my mother said sternly, then a smile broke across her face as she poured me a cup of coffee "she's a nice girl, Lia"

"yeah, she is" I muttered, "did you know her Dad?"

"no, I think your father met him once or twice, when Hestia and he got married" she said. I nodded sitting at the table. "she's a nice girl George, don't mess it up"

"Mum!" I exclaimed and she cackled with laughter as she cooked the breakfast "so, you like her then?" I asked after a second. Mum just smiled and gave me this funny look that I still haven't figured out what it meant. Breakfast was eaten over seven sittings that day. Remus of course was up first after me, claiming he wanted to get some reading done today. Sirius was last up, nursing a headache. Hermione and Ginny, claimed they were going to go for a walk while Ron was trying to convince Remus to partake in another round of wizards chess. When Fred hadn't appeared by midday, I assumed it had something to do with that bottle of fire whiskey. I was halfway up the stairs to change out of yesterday's clothes and shower, when I walked straight into Lia. Her hair was wet from the shower and she was dressed in a pair of jeans and a long sleeved red top.

"sorry" she exclaimed, bending over to pick up the towel she had dropped. When she stood back up, she was inches from me. I decided in that moment I was done waiting. I brushed a couple of stray strands from her face.

"can I kiss you?" I asked, my voice gone all wobbly.

"I thought you never ask" she said as I slipped my hands around her face. I had been kissed before. But not like this. This was easy, like I could do it for the rest of my life. This could possibly be the best feeling that I had ever felt. Her hair smelled like lavender and her skin was so soft. Had days gone by? Maybe weeks or years? But she pulled back and leaned her forehead against mine, the smile on her face as wide as the Hogwarts Express was long.

"About bloody time" I turned to see Ginny, Hermione, Harry and Ron standing on the stairs below us. Lia burst out laughing.

"get lost you lot" I took Lia's towel and hurled at Ginny.

"we've been waiting that long for you to make a bloody move George" she called as they all thundered down the stairs laughing.

"nice job Georgie" Fred said strolling past patting me on the back, Lia kept giggling. I just let out a long sigh.

"hi there" I looked down at her.

"hi" she giggled, leaning back on the banister behind her.

"Lia and George sitting in a tree" came the chants from the hall down below.

"Finally" I heard Tonks exclaim "only took him about six months". I leaned my head back with a smile on my face.

"don't worry " Lia said slipping her arms around my waist "it was worth the wait"