20: What does it feel like?

George:

We gave up following the rules. I didn't care if she was going to have me dragged into detention by my ears, I would not bow to Dolores Umbridge. It was a Sunday and Fred and I had decided N.E.W.T.S or no N.E.W.T.S raising hell was our fist priority. Gryffindor barely won the Hufflepuff match, it was all down to Ginny. Angelina had a broken nose, thanks to Jack sending his bat straight into her face. It was a week till Easter and Umbridge was about to feel the full force of the Weasley Twins. "where are you going with that?" Hermione asked as we sauntered through the common room where she was neck deep in homework and we were carrying a red box.

"some preparation for our surprise" Fred smiled.

"merlin's beard, don't you two have enough to be doing? Like studying?"

"don't worry about us Granger" I winked. Fred and I walked through the castle trying to decide where would be best to stage our little bit of excitement. We walked down the staircases looking for somewhere to begin our explosive plan of action that was to come. The corridors were quiet. Many had headed to Hogsmead to enjoy the day, or out to watch the various Qudditch matches. Most just avoided the corridors to avoid Umbridge.

"can I ask you something?" Fred said after a while. "about Lia?"

"sure"

"you like her a lot, don't you?" he looked nervous, it was almost unsettling.

"yeah" I said not making eye contact with him "yeah, I guess I do"

"what does it feel like? Liking Lia" he asked, his face unreadable.

"it feels, it feels like" I swallowed, embarrassed that I was about to say this out loud. "it feels like every bird and butterfly and every other thing that can fly is going off in my stomach at once and like I can't think straight when she pops into my head" once I started I couldn't stop "she makes me smile for no reason and even when we're bickering I still love her. I love the way she gives out to me and the way she looks at me, wait did I just say?" I stopped. I had said it, out loud, for the first time.

"you did" Fred smiled.

"I love her Freddie" I walked along with glow on my skin. "why did you ask?" I said trying to cop myself back to reality.

"no reason" he said quietly. We kept walking, pointing out places that we could best execute our plan.

"you're being all quiet"

"and?" he asked.

"I'm normally the quieter one, even if it's just by a couple of decibels" I stopped "so what's the matter?"

"I just wanted to know, does she make you happy?". I was a bit taken a back at that.

"besides when I'm with you, perhaps the happiest I have ever been" he looked at me with these big happy eyes "why do you ask?"

"I just want to know, going into all this madness" he went all quiet "that you know, if it's a disaster, that you've, you know" he swallowed "got someone"

"well, I'm always going to have you Freddie" I said throwing my arm around his shoulders.

"yeah" he smiled brightly "you will"

Lia:

I don't remember falling asleep in the library. I don't even remember walking to the library. All this revision had me exhausted. I looked around; the library was empty. I gathered my books together. It was close to 10. I trudged back towards Gryffindor Tower. I looked around the halls I had grown up in. the portraits, the ghosts, the moving staircases that had become a solidified part of my life. My home. Somewhere that had been scarred like the lettering burned into the back of my hand by Umbridge. But never the less, the place that made me who I was today. Someone bumped into the back of me and I realise that I had stopped moving on the stairs. "oh, I'm sorry". I looked down and to my disgust, Cormac was standing beneath me. I moved on quickly.

"Lia" he called after to me.

"listen, I'm going to say this one more time" I whirled on him "leave me alone"

"I just-"

"do you ever get sick of running around like a lost puppy? For fucks sake Cormac just get away from me" I exclaimed. Merlin dam his long legs because no matter how fast I walked he kept up with me.

"I don't get it, I know I made mistakes but we have history" he said "I, I, I"

"you what? Cormac? You can't deal with getting rejected?"

"I don't see what he's got that I don't"

"a personality, respect, kindness, talent that doesn't revolve around being the richest kid in the room" I closed my eyes and took a breath.

"well I could have all those things" he began.

"I love him" I exclaimed, "I love him Cormac, I am in love with George". I turned to face the Fat Lady and there was a very ginger boy who just happened to be my boyfriend standing there beside his brother, who was about to burst himself from excitement or laughter. Shock hit my system and I rushed past them, straight through the portrait and up the stairs to bed. Merlin's beard. I was in love with George. I had known for a while, a good while. But I had never said it. I had never been brave enough to say it. He drove me mad. He was annoying and irritating. But he was sweet and kind and he just understood me. He understood how I worked, how my brain ticked and I his. I was in love with George and I had just announced it to the whole bloody school.