16: Breathe

Lia:

I don't remember getting back to the common room, I don't remember falling asleep, I don't know what happened between Umbridge's office and when I shot up on the couch screaming gasping for breath as a nightmare ebbed away. "shhh, it's okay" a familiar voice said from in front of me "Lia, It's okay, it was just a dream" the voice said. "breathe" it ordered "Lia breathe". I clamped my hand over my mouth, I was going to be sick. Suddenly, there was a bucket in front of me and threw my guts up. "it's okay, just lie down, it's going to be okay" the voice said again and then darkness consumed me.

George:

"I don't think there's anything left in her system for her to throw up" Hermione said, after Lia had shot awake screaming for third time that night.

"we need to figure out what happened" Fred said. They had agreed on taking shifts, but it hadn't really worked out that way. Everyone was still here. Katie was asleep on Lee's legs at the side of the room, Alicia was trying to distract herself by doing a potions essay and Hermione had read seven books in the last five hours trying to figure out how we could help her. I sat in front of the fire, holding Lia's hand while she slept fitfully.

"can I have another cold cloth?" I asked. It was the first time I had spoken to anyone who wasn't Lia in hours. Ginny jumped up and raced for the bathroom to do as I asked. "Angelina, will you sit with her for a moment?". Angelina nodded standing from where she had been staring out the window. She had stopped crying and now had a face set with anger. "I want to talk to McLaggen"

"not a good idea" Lee said from the floor.

"I don't care" I snapped back.

"not now George" Angelina said quietly, stroking Lia's hair back from her face, "leave it till the morning"

"Angelina is right" Harry stood, "let's all get some sleep".

"We'll take shifts George" Hermione said.

"you can take all the shifts you want, I'm staying here" I said walking to sit in front of the fire with my back to the couch.

"George" Angelina said.

"No, I'm not leaving her, not again" I murmured. They all shuffled out, except for Harry.

"I'll keep you company", he almost seemed happy he had an excuse not to sleep.

My eyes fluttered open. I was on the floor of the common room. There was light streaming through the windows. I sat up. Harry was gone. I looked around. Lia was sitting up on the couch watching the last of the embers die in the fire. "hi" I croaked.

"hi" she whispered.

"can I sit?" I asked hauling myself off the floor. She nodded, curling herself further into the corner. "where's Harry?"

"I sent him to bed"

"when?"

"about an hour ago"

"why didn't you wake me?" I asked, annoyed that I'd fallen asleep.

"you were asleep, you needed rest" she said quietly, examining her hands. They were still caked in blood. I walked to the bathroom and grabbed a wash cloth and a tub of water. I kneeled back down in front of her.

"may I?". she nodded, holding out her shaking hands.

"what did I do?" she asked, her voice full of emotion.

"you don't remember?", she shook her head.

"well, you screamed a lot and you clenched your fists really hard and you yelled at Cormac" she flinched at his name. I rubbed softly at her hands, the blood washing away. "what happened Lia?". She shook her head, swallowing. "Lia, I can't help you until I know what happened". She took several deep breaths.

"can, can I shower first and change?".

"of course you can love" I said, my heart happy that she wanted to do something that wasn't cry. I stood back, ready to catch her if she fell standing up. Her uniform was destroyed in blood. She walked towards the bathroom.

"George?", I looked at her.

"I'm sorry", she looked so sad.

"this isn't your fault", I said it so fiercely, without wavering. She didn't nod or speak. Just left the room. Only then did I drop to the floor and cry.