I

You sighed quietly, staring out the window of the carriage as it drove down the dusty dirt road in the middle of nowhere. Or what seemed like it. Farmhouses, few and far between, dotted the landscape behind rows of waving crops. You slowly chewed the stick of gum in your mouth, conscious of the small package in your pocket that could very well be the last you'd have in a long time.

"Remind me again why we're moving out here?" You said, looking towards your mother, who had the sleeping head of your young brother nestled in her lap.

"Because your father has been given a grant; because it's always been a dream of mine to live out on a farm; and because it will be good for James' health to be away from the city." Your mother sighed.

"Seems the only one not benefiting from this is me." You grumbled. In the back of your mind you knew you were being petulant, but the rest of you didn't care. You had had to leave your friends, your family, and your schooling to come out here. You couldn't believe your parents were pulling you out of school. Your mother said she was going to teach you, but you knew she would be occupied with James-- not to mention all the work a farm provided. At least it was early enough in the year, and the house was already built, that there was enough time for crops to be planted still.

Suddenly the carriage came to a stop. You could hear the horses' harnesses jingling outside and their hoofs stamping. And then your father, who had been driving the horses, came around the side of the closed carriage, his head appearing through the window. He opened the door, and when he spoke his voice was strangely quiet. "Mary, you need to see this." He said. Your mother gently picked up James, standing up and ducking out of the carriage. You heard her gasp from outside, and, unbidden, followed.

The sight that met you was a horrible one. The wooden house, which had been commissioned by your father, had been placed next to a large tree, the largest tree that you could see for miles. And which was now uprooted and sticking out of the house. Directly down the middle was now a pile of kindling in between the two still-standing ends of the house.

"No." Your mother whispered, one hand covering her mouth as she stared at the wreckage. "What... what are we going to do?"

Your father took off his hat, scratching at his head. "Well, I suppose we ought to take a look, see if part of it is still fit for us to live in while we fix the rest."

"You'll do no such thing." A woman's voice from behind you said. You and your parents turned to see a couple who looked to be about your parent's ages standing there.

"What kind of neighbors would we be if we let you do that?" The woman continued. "No, you'll do no such thing. Especially not with little ones; no, I won't let you."

"Easy there, Martha." The man said softly. "The tree came down in the storm a couple nights ago. Our boy saw it yesterday, and came back to tell us. We heard you were coming today, so we figured we'd come over and let you know what happened. You folks are welcome to come back to our place. It's just down the road apiece, right next to yours." He added, raising his voice slightly as he addressed your family.

Your father opened his mouth, and you could tell he was about to refuse their offer. Your parents didn't take charity. But your mother squeezed his hand gently, nodding to the still-sleeping form of James in her arms. "John." She said softly. A sigh went through your father and he nodded slowly.

"I'd be much obliged." He said.

The woman--Martha-- nodded briskly. "Wonderful. I'm Martha, and this is Samuel. Just go ahead and drive that carriage right down the road, to the big gray house there."

"Wouldn't you like to ride with us?" Your mother offered. You could tell she was grateful for the offer to stay with them.

"Well, we wouldn't mind, now would we Samuel?" Martha said happily. She, your mother, you, and James got into the carriage shell while Samuel and your father sat in front.