VIII

"So, John, when the house is fixed, what next?" Michael, Blink's father, asked after the next day of morning chores and afternoon house-fixing. The party had moved to the Meyer's place, with the adults (plus you, Mush, and Peggy) sitting on the porch and the younger kids running around in the yard-part of the house. "You'll be needing a barn and such I assume." 

"Well, in the property description it said there was an old stable already on the property." Your father said, stretching his city shoulder. "I was thinking we could just use that, seeing as I don't want to be a burden." 

Samuel frowned slightly. "Never heard tell of a barn built on your property.  I suppose it couldn't do much harm to check though. Even if it needs a fix up, if it has good bones it'll be easier'n startin' from scratch." 

Peggy suddenly began to pay attention, turning her gaze from the fat old robin nesting in the rafters to her father. "Hey, we could go looking for it." She volunteered quickly. 

"Who's 'we'?" Mush asked his 'sister' slightly skeptically. 

"Me mainly, probably Y/N, I guess you, and, um, maybe, um, Blink. If he'd--you'd-- like to come." 

You nodded your assent, given as you would like to explore the area of land you now called yours. Well, your parents called theirs, so yours by extension. Plus, if Mush was going... 

"I figure that'd be fine by me." Samuel said with a slow nod. "We could spare you from the work for a day, especially if it's just the smaller things left now."

The boys glanced at each other and nodded a little. 

"Tomorrow, then." Peggy decided. "We'll wake up early and-"

"Whoa whoa whoa." Blink broke in. "I don't like you-- uh, you guys, in general, I mean,-- that much. I'll meet you by Y/N's house at seven."

That sounded plenty early to you, but you held your tongue. You had come to realize "early" on a farm constituted three a.m., and anything past six was late. 

"That works." Mush agreed. "And gives us time to do some chores before leaving too." He addressed his aunt and uncle, who nodded. 

"Seven it is then." Peggy said happily. "Oo, I'll pack us some food." 

*

At 6:30 the next morning, you slipped out of the house and headed for the Meyer's barn. Mush was in the process of teaching you how to milk the cows, which you had tried for the first time yesterday. You were surprised how difficult it was. (I'm a pro at this btw, just thought I'd share) But you were learning quickly, which was good if you would soon be doing it by yourself, and you greatly enjoyed the time you spent with the boy besides.

When you entered the barn, Mush was currently bringing the first cow over. He smiled at you, and you fought hard to keep yourself from blushing. It wasn't fair for that smile to be aimed in your direction so early in the morning, your defenses weren't ready. 

You slipped past the cow and took a seat on the small wooden stool, Mush on the one next to you. 

"You remember what to do?" Mush asked you. 

You nodded softly and started. 

The work went quickly, and soon Mush was on the stool, as you didn't quite trust yourself to milk Susie yet. Or more like didn't trust Susie to let you milk her, but that was besides the point. 

After he had finished and returned the cow to her stall, he turned to smile at you again. You were a little more prepared this time, luckily. 

"Today's gonna be fun." Mush said, leaning against a conveniently placed stall wall and brushing a hand over his hair. 

"Mhm." You nodded, still not quite trusting your voice. 

"Do you wanna ride to your place? We could walk, if you wanted to, we'd just have to leave earlier." 

"Riding's fine." You said, blushing a little bit. "But... would you mind if I rode double with you again?" 

"'Course not." Mush shook his head quickly. "That's completely fine." 

"Thank you." You smiled a little at him, and he returned the grin. 

"Alright lovebirds, let's get moving." Peggy said, materializing holding the bridles of two horses. 

"Yes, Mrs. Ballat." You whispered to her as you passed, rewarded by a blush and secret swat on the shoulder.

"D'you wanna ride in front this time? It might make you a little less nervous about fallin' off." Mush offered as he boosted you onto the horse's back. 

"Wrong, that would make me very nervous. Just a different type of nervous."  You thought, but nodded all the same. 

Mush smiled a little and swung himself up close behind you, reaching around you to take the reins. 

And so you set forth towards your house, you desperately trying not to blush and fighting an obviously losing battle.