One.

I'm the daughter of a convicted felon. My father is a mass murderer named Sirius Black. My mother was just a normal girl living in London when she met my father in the summer of 1978. I was born less than a year later, in the spring of 1979. I was born to two teenagers. My dad was around for the first two years of my life, but then he went to jail.

The older I got the more my mum told me about my dad. She told me he was a magical man, literally. He could do magic, he was a Wizard, and we would have to wait to see if I shared that ability with him. He apparently fought against a very dark Wizard called Lord Voldemort, but in the end he ended up being in league with him the entire time. He got his best friend, James, and his wife, Lily, killed, and then he killed his other friend, Peter, in front of 12 witnesses.

A Wizard man named Remus Lupin is my Godfather - My dad wanted his friend James to be my Godfather but my mum apparently liked Remus better, so they went with him -  and he kept close with my mother after my dad went to Wizard prison. He was my only connection to the Wizarding World after my dad went to prison. I was glad to have him in my life.

Everything changed when my mum got sick though. I had just started at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry when I found out. She didn't even make it a year. I went to live with my grandparents in Little Whinging after that.

I liked to keep to myself at school. Everyone knows who my dad is, and what he's done, so no one really wants to be my friend anyways. Also, my school separates you into houses, and my house is Slytherin House. A lot of people in my house don't like the idea of wizards and Muggles having children. They don't like Half-Bloods in my house, if you're not Pureblood they don't really like you. I was just lucky my father was a Pureblood, so I had a Pureblood last name.

I didn't know anything about my dad's family, just that they were Purebloods and most of them have been in Slytherin like I am. He wasn't though. He was in Gryffindor House. The House of the Brave and Courageous ones. He certainly was brave to betray his best friends and work for the Dark Lord.

I did have one friend. Her name is Nadine, and we're in Slytherin together. But other than her I didn't really talk to anyone else. I tried to join the Quidditch team last year but the Team Captain is such a horses arse he refused to put me on the team saying that Women shouldn't play Quidditch because we could get hurt easily and he flat out refused to put me on the team. It made no sense to me because all of the other House teams have girls and boys on them.

I was about to begin my fourth year at Hogwarts, and I've recently found out that my father, Sirius Black, has escaped prison and he is on the loose. The Ministry of Magic is working tirelessly to catch him but he's still out there somewhere.

Both of my grandparents are worried he's going to try to come for me, so they have been very strict on me, not letting me leave the house at all. My half-brother, Joshua, is lucky that he lives with his dad, otherwise he'd have to deal with the same thing. Gran has put a lot more rules up in place for me to abide by.

She got us a room at a Wizard pub called The Leaky Cauldron the day before I was to leave for school again. That day we walked around Diagon Alley the three of us together. When we were finished shopping, my Grandpa treated us to some ice cream and we headed back into the Leaky Cauldron for some dinner.

I noticed some other students from Hogwarts were also here. The Weasley family were all here. They're a Pureblood family that are all in Gryffindor House. They all have the same shade of red hair, pale white skin, and freckles. There isn't a Weasley in my year, I am in between the ages of the twins Fred and George and another boy named Ron.

They're a very close knit family, according to my nasty cousin and fellow Slytherin, Draco Malfoy, they don't have a lot of money. I felt bad for them for that. Draco and some of the others of Slytherin House make fun of them for it, and I didn't think that was right of them to do.

I saw one of the Weasley Twins looking over at me and my grandparents. I couldn't tell if it was Fred or George though. But it was one of them.

"That redheaded boy keeps looking at you, Penelope," my grandmother says, a smile in her tone, "Do you know him?"

"Not particularly," I admit, "to be honest I don't even know which twin that is. Him and his twin brother are a year older than me, and the entire family are all in a different house than me. I've never really talked to them. Their dad works for the Ministry so they're probably talking about my dad. Everyone is talking about my dad these days."

My Gran places her hand over mine. "It's alright, dearie, they're going to find him and put him back where he belongs. Don't you worry. He'll be caught in no time."

"I hope so," I say, tucking some of my wild curls behind my ear.

When we went to our room for the night, we passed another Hogwarts student, Harry Potter. Harry Potter was nearly killed by Lord Voldemort when he was a year old. James and Lily Potter were my dad's best friends who he got killed. He led the Dark Lord right to them so he could kill their son, and he ended up killing Harry's parents instead and Harry somehow survived the Killing Curse and he's been living with his Aunt and Uncle ever since. They actually don't live very far from my grandparents.

He and I have a lot in common actually. We're both orphans, our parents were good friends. I just feel guilty for what my dad did to his parents. I didn't do it, so I shouldn't feel guilty, but I do. I do and I can't help that I do.

The next morning my grandparents took me to King's Cross Station where I boarded the Hogwarts Express alone. I saw the Weasley family again. They were boarding the train as I entered the platform. It looked like Mr. Weasley was having a conversation with Harry Potter as I walked past them to enter the train.

I found Nadine and we sat in a compartment together. We caught up on our summer and how we've been since school got out last. About half way through our trip we started to slow down. There was no way we were at school already. It got dark and it started to get cold, too. We had no idea what was happening. It was over almost as quick as it started. The lights came back on and everything started to feel warm again and the train began to love again. It was odd, what just happened.

When we arrived at schools we shared a carriage with some other fourth year students, and we were taken to the Great Hall of the castle for dinner like every year. I couldn't see the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher from where the Slytherin table is, but I knew they would be announced soon enough.

Headmaster Dumbledore began his speech after dinner. “Welcome!" He called from his podium, "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few announcements to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast.” He paused for a moment to clear his throat, “As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to the dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business. They are stationed at every entrance of the grounds, and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises – or even invisibility cloaks. It’s not in the nature of a dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I therefore warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to our Prefects and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runs afoul of the dementors.

“On a happier note, I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year. Most of you know him already, but our very own gamekeeper Rubeus Hagrid has agreed to take over Care of Magical Creatures on top of his gamekeeping duties,” he motioned an arm over to the chair of the Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor, “And, I introduce Remus Lupin as our new Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor.”

My jaw dropped in shock. My Godfather was the new Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor? And he didn't write to me to tell me? 

Only those who had been in the compartment with Professor Lupin clapped hard for him. Professor Snape, the Potions master of the school, had an expression of loathing on his face. We were used to that expression from him as students, but never towards another teacher. He must have really wanted that spot this time around.

Dumbledore finished his speech then, and the feast resumed for about another hour before we were to be sent off to bed.

I didn't tell Nadine about my Godfather being the newest Professor. I'd tell her eventually. The next morning we got our class schedules and I saw I had Professor Lupin’s class first thing. I was so excited to see him. I haven't seen him in person in a few years now.

He taught us very well, considering it was his very first class. I could tell he was very happy to be here. I wanted to stay back after class to talk to him, so I told Nadine to go on without me and save me a seat. Once the classroom was empty, I was alone with my Godfather for the first time in years.

I ran up to him and I hugged him tight. He was initially surprised by this action but he did hug me back after a moment saying, "You're so grown up now, kid."

I step back from him, smiling, "Well it wouldn't be such a shock if you'd come visit once in a while."

His smile vanishes, "I know, I'm sorry for that. Your mum was cool with all of the magic stuff, but I know your grandparents aren't the biggest fans of it."

"They're okay with it as long as it's used for good, not evil. That's when they start to have an issue with it. Either way, I'm glad you're here now. It will be nice to see you a lot more."

"Yes, it will be," he says, smiling again. "You have your dad's wild curly hair, huh, kid?" He jokes, taking some of my curls in his hands. "But your eyes, those are all your mother. She had the most beautiful ice blue eyes. I'm glad you got those from her."

"Me too," I say, nodding.

"How is your brother?" He asks, that smile still on his face.

"He's good, he's still living with his dad. I see him when I go home for the summer."

"Good," he nods, "You can come visit me in my office whenever you want to, alright kid? Right now you should be on your way to Transfiguration. I know Professor McGonagall does not tolerate tardiness."

"I know, I just wanted to say hi to you."

"And I'm glad that you did, but I don't want you to be late."

"Right," I agree, nodding.

I give him another quick hug and then I am on my way to my next class.

______________________
Here's part 1!

I wanted to write a story where the main character was a Slytherin, and I wrote a story where the main character was Lupin’s daughter so I figured why not give Sirius a turn, right?

-Emily Winchester.