Chapter Thirty

It took me even longer than I expected to find camp, but as night drew in, I found myself back in the quarry. Even the rabbit I killed was still there. I left it though, feeling guilty for some reason. I hurried back from there, exhausted by the days event and in desperate need of some water and some food. As I approached camp, I heard the soft call of my name.

 Logan.

 “Logan, I’m over here,” I shouted back.

 “Raven!”

 I didn’t see him until he slammed into my body, hugging me so tightly I couldn’t breathe.

 “I was so worried! I heard the cannon, it could have been you!” he said. I felt a tear drop on to the back of my neck. He was crying.

 “Shh, Logan. I’m sorry. I’m here now. I’m sorry…” I trailed off, biting my lip to stop a sob escaping. I clung tightly to his shoulders.

 “It’s not safe here. Let me get you back to camp,” he said, taking my hand. As we walked I told him what had happened, and discussed my plan with him. He seemed wary of what I wanted to do.

 “They’re stronger than we are,” he insisted.

 “Says who?”

 “Me.”

 “I disagree. There are four of us, four of them. Even match, right? Besides, we have the element of surprise…”

 “Whatever. Just wait for Clementia to shoot you down.”

 That’s where Logan was wrong.

 “I think it’s a fantastic idea,” Clementia exclaimed “Finally, we’re doing something of use!”

 “So let me get this straight. You want to waltz straight up to the Career’s camp…and ambush it?” Minerva said, with an unimpressed twist of her mouth.

 “Exactly.”

 “Shall we go tomorrow then?” Clementia asked. At the time, I liked the fact that I was being put in control of the operation.

 “Yes. We all need to get a decent sleep before we go. And then maybe do some hunting. The better fed we are, the stronger we will be in battle.”

 “OK. Minerva, can you take first watch? The rest of us haven’t slept all day…”

 “Of course,” she replied angelically, tossing her blonde hair over her shoulder. I wrinkled my nose in disgust at her. She was such a suck-up it was sickening. Logan caught me expressing my hatred and smirked to himself, and when Minerva’s back was turned, mimed tossing his hair and pouting. I chortled as quietly as possible to myself, throwing a glance at Little Miss Perfect. She was oblivious to our teasing, occupying herself with organizing the packs.