Chapter Fifty-Four

*Reader discretion is advised. This chapter contains scenes of extreme violence.*

 I handed myself directly over to President Snow. Despite the pleas of Leonie, I knew it had to be done. And I was going to make sure that when I went down, I didn’t drag Drew or anyone else down with me. Drew had already, unwillingly, agreed that it was better for one of us to be punished than both, and seeing as it was my idea, I was happy to take the blame off his shoulders. Even so, I was terrified as two Peacekeepers dragged me through corridor after corridor to face President Snow.

 My eyes downcast to the ground as I was thrust forward into a room. The black and white marble floor shone so much that I could see my terrified features reflected on its surface. A white couch stood in the room, the only furniture I could see. President Snow sat on it, with Rodolfus Chain, the Head Gamemaker, stood tall at the arm of the chair. Snow rose slowly, approaching me with footsteps that echoed my thumping heart.

 “You deceived me,” Snow whispered, circling me menacingly. I tried desperately not to look scared, but failed. After all, my life could be over in a matter of moments. Snow sighed in frustration, returning to the couch.

 “How did you do it?” he asked.

 “I stole it. The bomb. When I toured District Three,” I lied smoothly, saving our deliverer’s skin. Snow’s snake eyes glared into my own, challenging my lie, but he had no way to prove my deceit. He was smouldering as he sat and glared at me.

 “What am I going to do with you…” he muttered.

 “Kill her,” Rodolfus said, speaking for the first time.

 “You fool. We can’t kill her.”

 I blinked in surprise. I hadn’t been expecting that.

 “Why not? She’s a murderer, a liar, she committed treason-”

 “You think I don’t know that? Imbecile. If we kill her, there will be uproar. A dead victor. Victors are the symbol of hope in this nation. We’d have so many powerful people against us. There could be uprisings. If not, we’d still have her husband to deal with, and not to mention Valeria Grey. Don’t you see? This girl is needed. We need her to survive. No, there has to be another way.”

 I stood frozen to the spot. I prayed that he wouldn’t hurt my father or my friends. The thought of losing anyone else due to my actions was unbearable. But the president seemed to have other things in mind.

 “Watch her, Rodolfus. I’ll be back.”

 He left the room with a half-smile on his face. Rodolfus said nothing. Did nothing. He just stared at me. Never once did he blink. He never changed his facial expression. I found that I was more afraid of him than the president. But I was sure that would change soon enough. I was about to find out what Snow was actually capable of.

 I didn’t hear him re-enter the room. Just felt a blow to the back of my head and dropped to my knees with a small wail. I was lifted, dizziness blurring my vision, and placed on the couch. Rodolfus tugged my hands above my head and tied them tightly to the arm of the sofa, whilst the President did the same to my feet. Breathing heavily, I struggled to get away. From the corner of my eye, I could see the president pulling on white rubber gloves which he’d retrieved from his pocket.

 “I like to call this room The Chamber,” he said casually, as though he was talking to an old friend “It’s a place of rather…fond memories.”

 The second glove covered his hand, snapping into place with an elasticated thwack. He then produced a pair of scissors from his pocket. Placing his fingers through the loops, he snapped the blades of the scissors together.

 “Another hobby of mine. I like to think that if I hadn’t become president, I might have been a doctor. Or perhaps a surgeon.”

 I felt my eyes widen, staring at the scissors in horror.

 “Yes, you may well look shocked. Perhaps next time, you’ll think twice before crossing the line. Rodolfus, grab her mouth and insure it stays open.”

 I clamped my lips and teeth together, tears welling in my eyes as I thrashed helplessly.

 “Come on, Raven. Open wide…”

 Chain yanked at my jaw, forcing it open, my tongue flailing as if to find an escape. The president came closer, until his face was right in front of mine. I could smell the blood on his breath, so much that I could almost taste it. I gagged in disgust, staring Snow in the eye.

 “Do you have any last words? Literally.”

 I spat in his face, uttering my last sentence. “I regret nothing.” Biting Rodolfus in one last attempt at rebellion, I allowed a scream to form as the president made the first slice into my tongue.

So guys, what did you think of this chapter? Did you know...the next chapter is the last one! Silence is almost at an end. Remember, though, you can keep up with Raven, Pandora, Drew and Eddie in the sequel, The Chamber, which is coming soon! Let me know what you thought of this chapter if you're reading this, I'm dying to know!