Chapter 13

Varian sat on his bed, hugging his knees, his back towards his door. He heard the door open. "Mind if I come in?"

It was Arianna.

The boy wiped the water from his eyes with his sleeve before giving a shaky answer. He tried to make it sound strong, but his voice cracked in spite of him. "Sure..."

The queen sat in the bed next to her son. He tried to hide his face, but he knew that she knew that he was crying. She set a hand on his arm as he changed his sitting position. "I know it sounds harsh, Varian, but Fredric just wants what's best for you. It's not forever. Just until he thinks it's better. When the danger has cleared a little..."

Varian sniffed. "But it's the one thing I'm good at! What am I supposed to do if I can't do alchemy? I fail at everything else!!"

"No, no, Varian, that's not true," she wrapped her arms around him. "That's not how me or Fredric see you."

"But just because you don't see it doesn't mean I don't fail and I know he doesn't care!" Varian choked on a sob.

"Shh..." Arianna began to rock a little. "Where on earth have you been getting this in your head?"

"The town, the maids, everywhere. They all say it when they think I'm not there to hear it. I pretend that I don't, but I know it's true," he trembled with sobs. "And when we enter a room, it's Rapunzel he goes to. He only acknowledges me when I mess up or I'm a supposed threat to my own sister."

"No, it's not. Those people are selfish and just jealous. You want to know why? Because you are amazing and nothing is going to change that. I would not trade you for any other son in the universe for you," she held him out so he could look into her eyes as one hand softly cupped his tear stained cheek. "Don't ever forget that."

Varian started crying again as he hugged her.

"I love you Varian, very much. Remember that. Fredric does care. I know so. Maybe he is a little harsh and I know it's hard to see, but Fredric has never been a father. He's been a king, so he's not used to teens who get into a little trouble now and again. He'll come to, I'm sure. So I'm going to ask you to try to understand from his point of view. Alright?"

"Alright..." he whispered. "But I just want to know. Do you think he's right?"

Arianna sighed. "No. No, I don't, but he is my husband. Don't worry, you will have your alchemy back before you know it. Let him sleep on it and I'll talk to him again."

"Ok..." Varian nodded.

◇◇◇◇◇◇

Later, Arianna came out of the room. "Is he ok?" Rapunzel asked.

She nodded. "He will be."

"It just isn't fair, mom. Varian only did it because of our powers. We don't know what those powers are capable of and he's just trying to do the right thing," Rapunzel said.

Ariana sighed. "To be honest dear, Varian did accidentally set his room on fire. An accident I am aware of that but many could have been hurt. I don't think he should have been grounded to point of not being able to read, but that was Fredric's decision. For his own and many others safety it will ok if he takes a small break from alchemy. However, Varian is right, Fredric didn't ground him because he was scared he would get hurt."

"Mom?"

"Your father is afraid to lose you, Rapunzel, which is justified, but I can't justify the lengths he is going to do so. He loves you very much and what he's doing comes from a place of love, but... there is a line between going too far. What I'm asking is that you try to understand where your father is coming from. I will talk to him, I promise."