Chapter 21

Thank you for the 4k views!

The video doesn't belong to me :)

And the extra stanza to the song belongs to me :D

Next chapter comes this Sunday if things go to plan.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

"Did you find their hideout?"  Ariana asked as the scouts came into the planning room.

"Yes, ma'am.  In the old residence from the former Chief of Old Corona," the scout answered.

"Cheif of Old Corona?"  Rapunzel inquired.

"An old friend of ours," Ariana explained.  "He was spokesman of Old Corona, but he left after a tragic accident that killed his wife and child... Ulla was on her way to see me to show me her baby the first time because he was just well enough to take the journey..." Ariana looked sadly at the ground, remembering her friend.  "That was over fourteen years ago, but I suppose we should focus on Varian at the moment..."

Rapunzel put her hand in her mother's and squeezed it to reassure her.  She looked at her father who cleared his throat.  "What do we have to do, Rapunzel?"

"Give myself to them-"

"Raps-" Cassandra started to cut in.

"No, here me out, Cass.  Why would they try to trade Varian for me?  They know I would do it in a heart beat, but I wasn't the one who recieved the letter.  They gave it to my dad.  Lady Caine isn't stupid."

"Because no one would trade the princess, the heir of the Crown of Corona for Varian... as harsh as it's sounds, Rapunzel is more important to the kingdom than the boy," Nigel finished.

"Obviously, they were expecting you to keep this information from me," Rapunzel added, looking at her father.

"You're saying that Caine only wants Fredric to think that they're after Rapunzel for revenge?"  Cassandra raised a brow.

"It doesn't make any since otherwise," Rapunzel's mumbled.  "Gah!  I wish Varian was here... he was good at thinking around these sort of things..."  She felt Eugene put a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"So, if Caine is really trying to mislead us, then who does she want?"  He asked.

"No offense, Fredric," Cassandra spoke up.  "But who else are you close to?  I mean, Rapunzel is the obvious choice to use as pay back if she wants to get revenge on you."

Ariana cleared her throat.  Cassandra's eyes widened.  "Ooooh..."

"But I think I have a plan," Rapunzel spoke up.  She looked at Fredric.  "Can you trust that I can handle this?"

"Yes," Fredric said at last.

◇◇◇◇◇◇

Varian was sitting in cellar with his back against the wall, hugging his knees.  He was scanning the room for anything to use to open the door with.  He found a few items and immediately calculated it and found that it would make the perfect tool to pry the door openly.  He prayed that it would work and be super silent.

As quietly and as fast as he could, he put the junk together and began to start prying the door open.  He gritted his teeth and pushed, hoping that his calculations were correct and that he had enough leverage.

Suddenly, the door opened and he fell foward, landing at the feet of one of his captors.  The man took the makeshift tool out of Varian's hands.  Varian didn't even fight it.  He let the man take it.