Chapter 14

Guess what?  I'm posting this story two times a week now for a while!  Sorry that this chapter is slightly shorter than usual, but it makes up for it in the next chapter that you'll read on Sunday.  That one's over 1600 thousand words while this one's roughly 1100 thousand.  Typically, the chapters are 1200-1400 words.  Anyways, hope you enjoy!

◇◇◇◇◇◇

" 'Punzel, you're running low on white paint," Varian pointed out.

"And black, and a lot of colors, actually..." Rapunzel admitted.

"Hey, I'm running into town.  I can get you your paints, because the maids don't really know what you like," Cassandra offered.

Rapunzel chuckled.  "Will you?  Thanks!  I would go myself, but..."

"That's why I offered.  V, do you have anything you want or need?"

"Ummm... another Flynn Rider book," he teased.

"Ok."

"Cassie, I'm just kidding."

"I'll get it anyways.  The Castle Library doesn't have them, surprisingly."

Varian's eyes lit up. "Really?"

"Well, you need something to keep you occupied," Cassandra said.  "Let me grab my bag and I'll be on my way.

"Thank you!" Varian called after her.

Cassandra smiled to herself as she walked out of the room.  "No problem!"

"Soooo," Rapunzel began. "Cass is going to town,  I have to help prepare for the dinner party tonight with the Griffin to make some sort of peace treaty... What are you going to do today?"

"Prepare myself for said dinner party.  I still don't like crowds, but Ariana insisted that I join," Varian replied.

"Speaking of which, I've been working on my speech."

"You mean the one about puppies and rainbows that Cassie told me about?"

"I didn't say anything about puppies!  The rainbow was a metaphor..." Rapunzel pouted.

Varian chuckled.  "I'll like to hear it.  I'm sure the Griffin will listen to you."

"Aww, thanks, Vari!  I think we can win him over with kindness and patience.  It's important that we do."

"I heard Nigel say that winning him over isn't actually too important for Corona," Varian pointed out.

"Yes, but dad wants to ensure peace between us so as not to upset the Seven Kingdoms.  They themselves aren't actually a threat to us, but we don't wanna make enemies where we can make friends," Rapunzel replied.  "That and the Griffin is very sensitive so I thought rainbows and flowers would be a nice subject to ease in the mood."

Varian laughed.  "Right!"

◇◇◇◇◇◇

The Royal Adviser entered the room as the meeting with the Griffin had barely begun.  He went directly to the king.  "Your highness," he said in a low voice.