Chapter 23

Sorry this shorter and poorly written, but I've had so much trouble with this chapter.  It may be edited in the future, but now I can move on to book 3!

◇◇◇◇◇◇

"Remember to remain quiet.  I assume they're counting on back up to come through here.  This is a risk," Arianna reminded them.  Eugene had his sword at ready, it was his family and he was going to save them.  Lance was holding a mace and ready to fight as well.  They were all family.

Varian was struggling with his bonds when the door opened.  His head shot up, expecting Caine or one of her henchmen.  His eyes lit up when he saw who it was.  "Mom!"

The queen smiled with relief and ran over to the three of them.

"Ari," Fredric began, looking worried, but happy upon her arrival.

Eugene and Lance came in and helped untie them.  Rapunzel threw her arms around Eugene, and took him into a kiss.  "I knew you'd come."

"Of course I would, Blondie."

Varian rubbed his wrists before hugging Arianna, taking in the comfort.  The queen returned the hug as she smiled through her tears.  She wasn't going to say anything, for Varian probably didn't even notice.  He had called her mom.

"Ok, we have to get out of here before Caine knows we're escaping," Rapunzel exclaimed as she hugged her mom quickly.

"Knowing her, she probably already knows.  She's always one step ahead," Varian muttered.

Eugene held his sword.  "Then let's be ready for an ambush."

Varian nodded.  "This way.  I think this might be a shortcut to get out-" he was opening the side door as Fredric suddenly shoved him down.  The boy hit his head on the corner of the wall and he let out a hiss.  Fredric gave a shout as an arrow embedded itself into his arm.

"Dad!"  Rapunzel cried.

"Well, we will meet again." Caine smirked.

Rapunzel deflected the next arrow with the frying pan that Eugene had handed to her moments before.

Still on the ground, Varian tried to scramble out of crossfire.  He realized someone was sneaking up behind them, but it was too late.  The henchman grabbed the queen, placing a knife over her neck.  "Drop your weapons or she dies!" he barked.

"Mom!"  Rapunzel gasped, dropping her frying pan.

Anger boiled in Varian's chest.  He was done!  He was sick and tired at being forced to his knees.  He was tired and angered by the lives of the people he loved were constantly being threatened.  "I've had enough!"  He screamed and his eyes and hair stripes began to glow.

Black rocks sprouted through the floors.  He gripped the two that sprouted next to him, trying to keep his balance as the magic surged through his veins.  He made the henchman release the queen and trapped him in the rock, along with Lady Cain.  Once that was done, he groaned and fell down.

"Varian!" Rapunzel was at his side in a minute.

The boy blinked his eyes open.  "Punzel?"

She sighed with relief.  "I didn't know you could do that!"

He grinned a little.  "Me neither…"

Being supported by his sister and Eugene, they left the house and saw that the battle was over, and they were victorious.  Upon seeing her brother, Cassandra dropped her sword and ran to him and gave him a big hug.  "Oh, thank goodness…"

"Hey, Cassie…"

"Ouch!"  Lance hissed as he hit his toe on a black rock.  "Hey… guys, hate to break the moment, but look…"

"The rocks… it's like they're trying to lead us somewhere…" Rapunzel whispered.

"That's because they are…" Fredric replied as Arianna finished wrapping his wounded arm.

"Dad?"  Rapunzel raised a brow.

He sighed.  "I know I could never make up for what I've done, but I see that we can no longer avoid these rocks… I tried to keep you safe, Rapunzel, but it appears that here will not be as safe as I had hoped…"

Varian blinked with surprise.  "Wait… are you saying-"

"Yes.  I suppose that you three need to go.  Not that I think that you won't go with or without my consent."

"Thank you," Rapunzel beamed.

"I know I owe you all an apology-"

Cassandra scoffed.  Varian looked away.

The king nodded.  "But I realize that you all aren't ready to forgive me, and that is fine.  After all, it was I who wronged you and I'm sorry I took so long to realize that.  You may never forgive me, and I will understand."

Cassandra crossed her arms.  "I don't know if I will, but I won't say I never will."

Varian looked Fredric in the eyes.  "I owe you a thank you for saving me from that arrow back there.  I will forgive you.  One day, but right now… I'm still angry…  but I won't be mad forever."

Fredric nodded.  That was more than enough for him and what he felt like he deserved.  Perhaps, maybe it wasn't as bad as he thought to have more than just Rapunzel as a kid.  Why did it take him so long to see?  Maybe one day, everything will be mended, but that was going to take a lot of effort.  Effort that they deserved.