Part 4

An unearthly shriek startled you and rang in your ears as you approached the raptor pen with the group. The enclosure was surrounded by the lush greenery of the rainforest. No one could have guessed such savage creatures were hidden away in the rich heart of the island.

     "Dr Grant- Dr. Grant! Um, we planned to have lunch laid out for you before seeing the raptors," John Hammond stammered,struggling to keep up with the group of eager scientists. It was no use.

     Once the group climbed the stairs of the raptor enclosure, you and the other two doctors began flooding Hammond with questions.

"How fast do they grow?"

"How much do they eat in one day?"

"How fast are they?"

"Fifty-sixty miles if they ever get out in the open." You all turned your heads at the new voice and were met with a man dressed in an alarming amount of khaki. He looked like a game warden straight out of those old tv shows your dad would watch in the afternoons.

    "This is Robert Muldoon, Jurassic Park's very own game warden from Kenya. He has more experience with the raptors than anyone else here," Hammond stated proudly.

   As Hammond spoke, a crance holding a nervous-looking black cow suddenly whirred to life and positioned itself right above the pen containing the animals.

   You swallowed thickly. "Um... What are they doing, exactly?" you questioned, signaling to the crane.

    Muldoon glanced at Hammond, who simply chuckled light-heartedly. "Feeding them."

Oh. You wondered if this part of the park would need parental guidance for younger children. Witnessing a pack of some of nature's most effective killing machines have access to a defenseless cow might be a gory sight to see.

   Dr. Grant leaned forwards to shake Muldoon's hand in greeting. "How fast do they grow?"

"They're lethal at eight months, and I do mean lethal. I've devoted my life's work to hunting things that can hunt you, but the way these things move..."

  He then seemed almost lost in thought. You hoped there hadn't been any bad accidents involving the raptors.

   "Do they exhibit any problem-solving skills?" you questioned, remembering seeing a velociraptor's skull cavity at some point. 

    "They're extremely capable, especially in groups. They've formed a pack hierarchy, and they often attack the fence in coordinated ambushes."

    You, Alan, and Ellie listened in quiet fascination.

   "The thing is, they never attack the same place more than once. They remember," Muldoon finished darkly.

    You flinched when your thoughts were interrupted by sudden screaming and rustling coming from the raptor pen. The cow had been lowered without you noticing. You looked over to see Ellie wincing as the cow was eaten. Dr. Grant put a reassuring hand on your shoulder, and you gave him a smile, embarrassed at your reaction to the attack. 

    You were just now realizing just how much you missed the safety of fossils and the Montana desert, where your only real concerns were dehydration and heatstroke.

                                                                                               -                  

After the experience with the raptors, Hammond had led you all to a gourmet lunch served back at the visitors center. You were all now in a large dining room that displayed various projections of scenes in the park all around you.