Part 8

A low hooting sound startled you awake from your sleep and you were surprised to find yourself at the top of a tree, until you remembered your current predicament. Trying not to move, you felt Lex and Tim leaning against you, still fast asleep. You smiled softly at the sight of the kids, glad that they were safe and unharmed.

Alan was still awake, keeping his promise to watch over the children as they got some rest. As you stared out at the treeline, your chest ached dully, preventing you from falling back asleep anytime soon. The feeling of the tyrannosaur's massive tail slamming into you was indescribable. You were lucky to be alive.

You shifted to gain some more comfort, but then winced when the ache sharpened, and so you eased back into your spot to mitigate the pain. Alan noticed your discomfort and turned his attention to you.

"Still hurts?" he asked softly.

"Yeah, but I'll be okay," you replied, smiling through another wave of pain.

He didn't seem too convinced. "As soon as we get back, you'll need some medical attention."

You weren't sure if he meant back at the visitor's center or the mainland, and you didn't think he was sure either. Right now, your chances of ever seeing home again seemed to be getting slimmer and slimmer.

"Speaking of getting back, what's the first thing you're gonna do if we make it home?" you started, opting to make conversation to take your mind off of your injury.

"When, (Y/n.) When we get home," the man insisted, putting his hand on yours to reassure you. "And the first thing I'll do back home is find a good lawyer."

You chuckled softly. "Okay, very funny. I'm going to collapse on my bed and sleep for an entire week."

"Sorry to disappoint you, but that bed will probably be in a hospital somewhere," he replied.

You groaned in disappointment, drawing another quiet laugh from your companion. "Hey, Alan... Did you ever imagine it was even possible? I mean, never even in my wildest dreams did I ever think that I would see a living, breathing dinosaur right in front of me."

He sighed thoughtfully before he answered you. "I really didn't. Back in Montana we had just gotten a brand new computer that scanned fossils before we even dug them up. But I never imagined it to become real. Flesh and blood was never what I expected when I got my degree all those years ago. I was prepared for a life of soil and dust, because that's what's real to me." As he spoke, he had retrieved a raptor claw from his pocket and was now idly fiddling with it.

"Yeah, I think I definitely prefer dust and minerals now. Coming here, I expected a leisurely tour of a cheesy theme park, but now I'm in way over my head. I'll warn you now, my survival skills are pretty lousy," you replied.

Alan turned to you with an incredulous expression. "Pretty lousy? You've exhibited more bravery and wit than any 'survival expert' I've ever seen. You were able to keep calm under immense pressure, and you've helped me keep the kids safe. To be honest, I don't think I could do this without you," he finished, dismissing any lingering idea of your incompetence.

You smiled shyly, flattered by the man. "You were brave too, y'know. Anyways, you should probably get some rest. I'll stay up and watch while you sleep."

Alan paused, considering your request. "I think it'd be okay if we both got some rest, just for a little bit. We're pretty safe up here, and morning isn't too far off."

You agreed, leaning back into the tree once again, noticing how clear your mind was now. As you and Alan drifted off to sleep, your hands remained touching, having not been moved ever since he moved his to yours.