Part 7

Ellie knew something was wrong. Ever since the power went out, no one had heard a thing from the group still taking the tour. She knew Alan would be okay, but she worried for the kids mostly. As the men in the building continued to bicker about who should have done what in order to prevent this.

      "Something's wrong," she finally said, realizing that the men around her weren't going to be as willing to take action as she was. "They've been gone for too long."

      After the power had shut down, Hammond and the others seemed to have forgotten about the tour.

     Remembering that his only two grandchildren were a part of the tour, Hammond turned to Muldoon. "Would you perhaps be willing to retrieve my grandchildren for me?"

      Muldoon silently cursed himself for agreeing to be a part of this whole thing. Sure, business wasn't as promising back in Kenya, but babysitting was not something he signed up for. Seeing the fear and uncertainty in Hammond's eyes was anything but reassuring, but the game warden figured he should just get things over with.

      "I'm coming, too," Ellie said once Muldoon agreed. She grabbed a raincoat and large flashlight, fully determined to find you and Dr. Grant.

-                                

     The first thing you felt was wet leaves against your back, essentially soaking through your shirt and giving you goosebumps. The next feeling was a deep ache in your chest. It felt like something large and heavy had slammed into it.

     Your eyes shot opened when your memory started to come back to you. You remembered the T-rex, the kids screaming, and the cold rain hitting your face as your heart raced. Oh yeah. You had been knocked off of the ledge into the abyss below when the tyrannosaur's massive tail slammed into your chest. You would be extremely grateful if none of your ribs turned out broken or fractured. As you moved around some more, you realized that you were in a tree. 

     You weren't at the top of the tree, thank goodness, but you still were relatively high up. You shifted, making sure that you could feel your limbs and everything else, and you were relieved to find that you didn't hurt too bad. Daring to shift your weight in order to see where you could find your footing on a branch, you spotted a large tree limb and began to slide towards it. You hated heights, but you knew you had to get down from the tree.

      Holding your breath, you slowly placed yourself onto the limb and looked for your next step. Once you had formed a rhythm to your descent, you breathed a huge sigh of relief once you found yourself back on the ground. Looking around, you noticed a huge water drain that was pouring out a torrent of rainwater.

     Looking above you, you saw the huge gap in the fence where the car had fallen through, but you couldn't see the car anywhere...

      Suddenly, you heard familiar voices. One was that of a man and the two others definitely belonged to young children. You walked in the direction of the voices and were stunned to see Alan and the kids in a clearing next to a demolished tour car. You cried out in relief and ran to the group.

     Lex turned to you and yelled, "Dr. Grant, Tim, look! It's (Y/n!)"

      Alan rushed to meet you halfway and caught you in a tight embrace. "Thank God you're alive," he said, smiling when the two of you finally pulled away from each other.

     "Dr. Grant and I just escaped the falling car!" Tim said, pointing to the destroyed vehicle.

     Your eyes widened. "Were you in it when it fell?" you asked.

     "Nope! Dr. Grant got me out and helped me climb down, but the whole time it was falling right above us!"

     You looked back and forth from Alan to Tim, honestly surprised that they had gotten out of the terrifying situation unscathed.

    "How in the world did you make it down safely?" Alan asked you, gesturing to where you had been knocked down, perplexed.

     "I'm not sure how it happened, but I was able to climb down safely after getting hit by the tail," you said, wincing as your chest gave a jab of pain.

      "And you're alright?" Alan asked, putting an arm around your shoulders to steady you.

      "For the most part," you said with a small smile. "We need to find a place to recuperate. It wouldn't be safe to travel at night."

     "You're right. It might be best to get back in a tree," Alan said, guiding you and the kids to one of the largest trees in the clearing.

    The prospect of getting into another tree cause Tim to groan, and you placed a gentle hand on his back. "We'll help you get up there, Tim."

     Looking up at the tree, however, you also dreaded the climb and just wished you were back at the visitor center.

-

     Ellie jumped out of the jeep as fast as she could, and waved her flashlight around, desperate for a sign of Alan, you, and the kids. "Alan! (Y/n!)"

       Muldoon joined in in calling out names, and while they searched, Ellie's heart dropped when she saw blood on the ground. She was a ways from where the cars were, but she still knew it had to be someone. As she pushed aside the remnants of some straw used to make up the small bathrooms, Muldoon came over to help her look.

      To their horror, they found what seemed to be the half-eaten remains of the lawyer, Donald Genarro, and Ellie had to look away.

      Suddenly, the heard a soft groan come from another stack of materials, and Ellie was relieved to see Ian alive. He was hurt, however, and couldn't walk on his own. After moving Ian to the back of the jeep, Muldoon led Ellie to where one of the tour cars had fallen.

     Ellie rushed to the opening of the car, but didn't find anyone. Muldoon pointed to something in the mud, and she realized that there were more than one sets of footprints leading into the jungle. Everyone had lived.

 -

      After some more climbing, you, Alan, and the kids were now in a large tree with plenty of room for the four of you to sit down and rest. You felt more exhausted than you ever had in your life, and you sat next to Alan as Lex and Tim sat against to you, huddling close for comfort.

"Can the monsters reach us here?" Lex asked shakily, holding Alan's hand tightly.

  "No, we're too high up for them, don't worry," Alan said, looking slightly unsure of himself.

"I'll stay up and watch while everyone gets some rest," you said, determined to make the kids feel somewhat safe. You were probably just as scared as they were and wouldn't be able to sleep if you wanted to, anyways.

     "No, (Y/n)," Alan countered, turning slightly to look at you, "you're hurt and you need to sleep. Let me be the lookout for us.

     You smiled, slightly surprised but grateful for his apparent concern for you.

    "Alright, I'll rest, but we can both keep watch." As the man opened his mouth to argue, you quickly responded. "But don't worry, Alan, I'll make sure to get some sleep."

     After gazing out on the treetops for a bit, you noticed that the drumming of the rain had subsided to a soft murmur, and you couldn't suppress the yawn that rose from your chest.

      "Hey, guys," Tim said sleepily, "what do you call a blind dinosaur?"

      Alan shrugged. "I dunno, Tim, what do you call a blind dinosaur?"

      "Do-you-think-he-saurus rex," the boy replied, the grin apparent in his voice despite his fatigue.

       You all chuckled at Tim's joke, but as Tim continued to add on to his list of dinosaur jokes, you found that your eyelids only grew heavier and heavier until you fell asleep.