Part 6

As you and Alan made your way to the noise, Ellie and the kids caught up with you and joined you in your search.

  "I had another question for you," the boy said, speeding up to match Alan's determined strides. This kid was not willing to give up.

   You walked alongside Ellie, barely holding in your laughter when Mr. Hammond's granddaughter held onto Alan's hand after he kept her from tripping over a mound of dirt. With a resigned sigh, Alan continued to walk with the two kids.

    Your's and Ellie's giggles stopped when you all reached the scene of the distraction. There, about ten feet in front of you, lay a massive female triceratops. She was obviously very sedated, with glazed eyes and a lethargic look to her. Despite the animal's state, your heart soared at the sight of her, and you searched for any signs of robotic joints or anything that might suggest that she was not real.

     As you drew closer along with the other two scientists, it became very obvious that this was a living, breathing creature. You clamped one hand over your mouth and felt tears begin to form in your eyes. Ellie gasped in disbelief and knelt down by its head, running a hand over the horn on top of the nose. She seemed to be drawn to tears as well and she let out a joyous laugh/sob as she looked at you and Alan in amazement.

      Alan walked closer and placed a hand on the triceratop's large stomach, marveling in wonder as it moved up and down with each heavy breath. The two kids were also interested, especially Tim, who was making a huge effort not to jump up and down at the sight of such an amazing animal.

     This is what you had dreamed of since you were a child. But how could it possibly be real? You walked over to the large frill on the ceratopsian's head and ran your hand over the leathery skin gently. Looking over, you noticed that Alan was completely leaning against the stomach of the triceratops, his face full of joy as it continued to move up and down. You found yourself chuckling and were relieved that these two experienced scientists found just as much delight in this as you had.

      Ellie had started asking Jerry Harding, the park worker tending to the sick triceratops, what kind of symptoms the animal was experiencing, and what exactly she was eating. You were interested in learning more about her lifestyle, but the signs of a fierce rainstorm were starting to quickly appear, and the lawyer nervously suggested that you all head back to the visitor's center. 

     Ellie, unfazed by the thunder, stated that she would be staying to further examine the triceratops, and you felt tempted to join her, but then noticed the kids starting to look bummed out that the tour was ending. You decided to go back to the cars with the others and reassured Tim and Lex that maybe some of the dinosaurs would come out to enjoy the rain. They seemed a bit more hopeful at this, and the group split into two once again so everyone could return to their respective car.

     Back at the control center, things were going not quite according to plan. John Hammond paced the floor as his game warden, Muldoon, began berating the tech workers about locks on the vehicle doors. Hammond couldn't help but feel discouraged. The scientists he brought all the way here testified against his spectacular plan and the tour had to be cut short due to an unforseen rainstorm. Could things possibly get any worse?

     "I understand that we're frustrated with how the tour went, but consider this, John; it could have gone worse... Much worse," Ray Arnold said. Ray Arnold was the chainsmoking chief engineer of Jurassic Park, and was looking more and more tired by the day. Sometimes Hammond demanded things that just couldn't be done. Arnold expected the tour to have some flaws, but he was still grateful that the guests were bored rather than injured. More lawsuits were the last thing this place needed.