chapter 16

currently listening to f song by strawberry guy. listen to it i promise you won't regret it.

lets get into it.

Maddie's POV

Cliff walked over and stood next to me while we waited for little Hope to get her mom. Well, our mom. Normally, I wouldn't get upset about anything to do with my mom, but seeing Hope broke my heart because I was that age when she left us. And, obviously, part of me is still mad at her. She just got up and left, without telling anyone. But I've learned that i can't trust her anymore and even though it hurt, I'm in a better place now. I wish Cliff would just try and let go of his anger.

I've been trying to DM Billie on Instagram, but I'm not surprised I didn't get a response back. She probably gets tens of thousands of those a day. Also, it doesn't help that my name is @mitchthepitchbitch. But still, I was kinda upset that she didn't reach out to me. I mean, she has my number. It's really not that hard to just use it.

My thoughts were terribly interrupted by her. She walked out the door, looking around until she saw us. I put my hand on Cliff's shoulder. "Don't move yet. Don't you fucking dare."

Her gaze was uncomfortable and heavy. I knew that it was bad and good for Cliff to get this type of closure, but with his hothead I really wasn't sure that anything productive would come out of this impromptu visit.

My ears screamed her voice into my mind when she spoke.

"Maddiegirl?" she took two slow steps forward before speaking again. "Is it really you and... Cliff? Cliff, my boy is that you?"

I released my grip of him and let them collide in a hug. "Hi mommy. It's nice to meet you." It hurt to see him talk through his tears.

I scoffed. 

"Maddiegirl, oh won't you come to give mommy a hug? And this must be your friend. What is your name sweetie?" She turned over to look at Jess. Jess replied "Jessica" which she only uses when she meets someone that she doesn't get a good vibe from.

"Jessica, thank you for bringing them to me safely." She smiled. Her Irish accent was still very prominent, and I saw tears streaming down her face, ruining her makeup.

I fucking hate her, but I miss her. I miss that feeling that I only experienced when I was really young. Being in a mother's arm. But I really didn't want to ruin this for Cliff. For two reasons: 1. He deserves to at least have some memory of her, and 2. when we go back home he can finally stop complaining.

All Jess could do was nod, and I really don't blame her. 

"Mom, I have so much I want to tell you and show you. I have so much to ask you," he sobbed and took a breath. "Like, what is your favorite place on earth? And how old are you? And why did you leave me?" 

He pushed her off of him. "Why the fuck would you leave me?! I was a child! I still fucking am!" 

I reached out to grab his arm, but that only angered him more, "And you!" Wow okay now he's yelling at me. "You always said she didn't want us! How she was awful and terrible and how I'm glad I never met her. But she's amazing... and I've only just met her!!"

I know this kid was not yelling at me. 

"You always said that she would be fine, but look at her! Once she saw us, she started crying! Why would she do that? Because she got something in her eye?" He took a deep breath, "I HATE YOU, MADDIE. FUCK YOU. You should have never kept her from me."

We all were on the front yard in silence. Hope found her way back inside a while ago, and Jess was just observing the scene. I felt bad for her.

Jane started to speak. "Oh, sweetie, I'm sure if you just let her explain-"