Chapter 31: What Bomb?

Athena had no opportunity to try and return Ariadne’s call until she had left the party and was back in the privacy of her own room some hours later. Pulling off her heels and collapsing in the middle of the bed, she put in a quick call to her friend.

No answer.

The clock to her left blinked 1am. Ariadne must have already gone to bed. But now that Athena had left the party, her mind was buzzing. How had the mission gone? Was it a success? Perhaps Ariadne was ignoring her calls on purpose, as punishment for not picking up earlier. Dyo would know.

Hey. Are you up?

Yes. I was about to message you actually. Have you heard from Ariadne?

Athena sat up, her heart beating a little faster. Dyo hadn’t heard from her yet?

She tried to call me a few hours ago, but I was talking to Castor at the time, so couldn’t answer. I just tried to call her back but I couldn’t get through. Did she speak to you or Ori after her mission?

Neither I, nor Orion, have heard from her. I’m on my way to meet him now. Do you want to come too?

Where?

The all night bar on the North west corner of Parliament Square. I’ve just arrived.

Okay. I will join you shortly.

Athena didn’t bother to change out of Cress’ glitzy party dress. She threw on the sea green duffel coat Cress had lent her and thrust her feet into a pair of boots by the door. She was out of the building before Dyo had taken a seat in a mahogany booth across from Orion.

The bar had once been the playhouse of the elite, where politicians had sat and bartered over whisky, made taciturn deals over scotch and celebrated their later betrayals over flutes of Moet.

“I hate this place,” Dyo said by way of greeting as he pulled up the collar on his coat, despite the warmth radiating from the solar heater in the disused fireplace.

“I know you do. But everyone in here is too drunk or disillusioned to listen to what we’re saying. I don’t want to be overheard by pop voters.”

Despite the early hour, the bar was still over half full. Its patrons, many starting to look a little worse for wear, were all students and drink was flowing in abundance. Everyone was either talking loudly to their neighbours or staring into the bottom of their glasses. No one would be taking any notice of two boys conversing quietly in a booth. Likewise, no one looked up when the door opened once more and a small girl with short dark hair entered the bar, her fancy party dress and smart coat matched incongruously with a pair of pink trimmed snow boots.

She was out of breath as she slid into the booth beside Dyo, squeezing his hand by way of greeting.

“Have you heard from her yet?” she asked hopefully.