Chapter 19: Well at least you're not crying

Athena practically floated to her Democracy for Beginners lecture the next morning. She didn’t notice that the temperature had dropped even further, or that the pavements still hadn’t been gritted. She didn’t care that Cress had spent the whole morning talking about Castor Grant and how perfect he was or how much he cared about the choices of the people. It all became a happy blur in her head, tuned out noise which served as the background to her memory of the kiss.

She was still beaming when Ariadne sat down beside her in the lecture hall. “You are looking awfully smiley this morning,” the other girl told her, watching her sceptically. “I was expecting you to be all doom and gloom after last night’s vote announcement; there’s nothing like having your world view blown to pieces to put a girl in a sour mood.”

“I did struggle when it was announced. I’m feeling more stoic about it this morning though. I think it was just the evidence I needed really; I’m now ready to help.” Ariadne raised an eyebrow; clearly not completely convinced by Athena’s upbeat turn around, but after watching her for a second, she shrugged and shook her head.

“Well, at least you’re not crying, I guess.”

Athena was saved from having to respond when the seat beside her was pulled out and Dyo sat down in it.

“Dyo?” Ariadne sounded as shocked as Athena felt. “What are you doing here? I know this is a novelty for me, but it’s unheard of for you!”

He shrugged nonchalantly. “Ajax wouldn’t stop bugging me about at least trying one of his lectures. I figured the sooner I got it over and done with, the sooner I could go back to having a lie-in.”

Ariadne giggled then turned towards the stage, where Ajax had just appeared. While her attention was diverted, Dyo shot Athena a wicked grin, followed by a wink.

Ajax looked just as shocked to see Dyo sat in his lecture hall. He didn’t say anything, but from the chuckle Dyo gave, Athena assumed that Ajax had sent him a message to express his surprise.

Well, two could play that game…

So, are you really here for Ajax? She asked him, keeping her eyes forward so that Athena wouldn’t notice their conversation.

What do you think?

I think it’s rather convenient for you to decide to cave in to Ajax’s pressure, on today of all days.

I’m quite sure I don’t know what you mean. He nudged her leg with his under the desk, making her smile. I just wanted to make sure that you were okay this morning.

Athena sighed. Why were they both treating her as though she was about to shatter? She was strong enough to handle this.

So, are you going to come to our next meeting, Athena? Ariadne asked, oblivious to her and Dyo’s conversation.

If you’ll have me back, Athena responded.

Of course we will, won’t we, Dyo. You promise to be nice this time, right?

I’ll see what I can do…

Dyo! Ariadne glared at him furiously, causing Dyo to laugh. Ahead of them, Cress turned round in her seat and glared at Dyo. He put his hands up in mock apology, raising an eyebrow at the girls when she turned around.

Ariadne shook her head and giggled, but Athena’s cheeks coloured.

Could he be any more into this stuff? Dyo asked over the feed a moment later.

Athena blinked. What was he talking about? He grinned and jerked his head in the direction of Ajax and Athena started. She had forgotten all about the lecture; she hadn’t heard a word Ajax had said so far. Neither, it appeared had Ariadne.

Damn you and your multitasking skills. You’re ruining my good progress already. What’s the point in attending the lecture if you’re just going to distract me the whole way through?

You could be recording it, he suggested, tapping his glasses.

Athena realised the prudence of his words and switched her own recording feature on. She could ask Cress for the start later and make notes this evening.

Nice one, Dyo. I guess you’re more than just a pretty face. Ariadne replied.

Finally! A girl who can see beyond my looks! Athena giggled, causing Cress to turn around again, looking concerned.

Someone’s not happy… Dyo sent across to Athena. I guess I’m not wearing enough pink to talk to you.

Not anywhere near enough, she sent back.

Pink really isn’t my colour.

Athena looked down at her own rose coloured jeans and sighed. Pink wasn’t her colour either.

Baby steps. Dyo sent across to her. You can’t give it all up overnight, as much as you might like to.

She smiled at him.

Coming to the next meeting will definitely help. You will come, won’t you?

Athena sighed. Sure; why not delve straight from indoctrination into anarchy. What could be the harm?

He grinned. On the plus side, you get to spend more time with me.

You have a very high opinion of yourself, don’t you?

It’s not an opinion if it is all based on irrefutable fact.

Athena giggled, earning her a confused look from Ariadne this time, who clearly hadn’t realised that she and Dyo were carrying on their conversation without her.

You know, you don’t have to wait until the next meeting to spend more time with yours truly - it is two whole days away, after all.

You could always attend more lectures…

Or I could take you out for that dinner I owe you? Tonight, perhaps?

No covert missions to sabotage industry officials this time?

My attention will be focused entirely on you, I promise.

Okay then, I’m in.

Perfect. That means I won’t have to keen badgering you until you agree.

Athena giggled again, this time prompting a message from Ariadne: Okay, what is going on with you and the arrogant one? And why are you leaving me out of it?

What? Nothing is going on. Athena replied at once, trying to make her eyes as wide and innocent as possible.

Dyo! Ariadne wrote next, widening the conversation. What is going on?

Dyo smiled smugly. There’s nothing Ariadne likes less than being left out of the loop, is there?

No, there really isn’t. So spill!

There was a pause: Ariadne glared at the pair, Athena could feel her cheeks colouring and Dyo just sat their grinning.

Slowly, Ariadne’s eyes widened. You’ve asked her out, haven’t you?

She took their silence as taciturn agreement. Her next message went only to Dyo: God, Dyo. Seriously? Is that the only way you know how to apologise? She’s my friend!

And she’ll remain your friend, I promise. I’m not just taking her out to apologise.

You get one shot, Dyo. Mess it up, and I’ll make you regret it.I won’t, Ari. I promise.