Chapter 14: As the blood-lust of the people grew, so did the death toll

“Throughout humanity’s history, our right to vote has been hard fought for.”

Athena was back in her History of Democracy lecture. Last week’s gory retelling of the revolutions in France meant that this was the most well attended lecture Athena had been to all week. Even Cress had been looking forward to it that morning.

Ajax stood calmly at the front, seemingly oblivious to how crowded the lecture hall was. He was back in pink again: a raspberry striped shirt and pale blush jumper.

Athena had seen Ariadne enter the room in her customary black, but she was sat between Cress and Dora today. Her notebook and pen were out; she was ready to concentrate.

“However, one of the most dramatic stories; the one that sparked the revolution which led to our current system, occurred in 2030.

“Well, that was the year the fighting started, at any rate. The movement towards revolution had begun many years before that, building steadily over time until it reached an explosive climax in the summer of 2030.

“Leaders all of the world were growing increasingly corrupt. They gave too much power to banks and made laws which kept other, powerful, nations happy instead of their people. The cost of primary and secondary eduction skyrocketed, with poorer families unable to afford even basic classes. Coupled with extortionate health care fees, no one but the rich were living close to comfortably. The money raised was spent on bureaucracy, advertising campaigns, press conferences and, most grating of all, political vacations.

“Bills were only put forward by those prepared to pay a hefty fee for them. The people needed to act, or lose everything. So a protest was organised to run simultaneously in countries across the globe. It was supposed to be peaceful. But, as is the case with most protests, it didn’t stay that way.” His voice was sombre; it had lost the excitement it usually carried when he was about to tell them something gory.

“In London, the army arrived to contain the crowds, but something went tragically wrong.

“Accounts differ as to exactly what happened: some claim that the protesters started to hurl bottles at the soldiers, while others maintain that it was merely military brutality. But, somehow, a young boy - only four years old - was caught in the cross fire and fatally wounded.”

He paused, to allow for the sharp intakes of breath and gasps that this statement prompted. A four year old? Killed?

“The people saw red and rose up against the politicians. Mob rule commenced: uncontrollable savagery. Attacks on government officials; the destruction and looting of government property. That was the downfall of the original number 10 Downing Street - a location I am sure most of you first years are rather familiar with.

“Feed glasses sent images of the boy’s death and the uprising in London across the globe, sparking similar acts of violence worldwide. Armies were split in two, with some soldiers siding with their friends and families and others with their superiors. As the blood-lust of the people grew, so did the death toll. The Earth’s population was decimated; we number half what we did before the time now referred to as ‘The Dark Years’. It was a time of utter chaos, in which not only politicians and bureaucrats lost their lives - often in grisly, public executions - but millions of ordinary people too: some caught in the crossfire, others killed more indirectly; through food and fuel shortages and the overcrowding (and in some places destruction) of hospitals.” Ajax paused again, to give his words time to sink in.

“But, I’m sure it will come as no surprise to all of you who are sat here now, in a stable, secure society, that the Dark Years did come to an end, eventually.

“There were a few false starts to the reformation of civilisation. A few leaders of varying political beliefs attempted to bring their countries and the world to heel. But the people were not willing to submit to the governance of a few. Power corrupted, no matter what a person’s background was, or what they promised to do.

“Eventually, a group in Norway attempted to establish a direct democracy, using the readily available technology from the feed glasses to let everyone have a say in what the country decided to do. It was a last, desperate attempt at healing our fractured world. And it worked. With no figureheads, or need for publicity and empty promises, the people could be free to look after themselves, as a collective. The concept spread, adapted and morphed into the system we have today.”

There were a few cheers from the crowd at this; whoops of celebration at our success, our supreme humanity. But Ajax wasn’t finished.

“Power is a dangerous thing; it corrupts almost everyone who comes into contact with it - be they the ‘leader’ of a country, or the CEO of a business. We may not have politicians, but we do still have leaders. And, as at the foundation of our democracy, it is up to us, the people, the voice, to keep them in check.“Thank you all for coming. For the next few weeks, we will be looking in detail at some of the key moments in the Dark Years, so come prepared for blood and gore!” And with that, mini chaos descended on the hall as students rushed to leave, in search of tea and gossip on the frozen streets of London.