Chapter 17: They will not stop until we make them

The Camp meeting was already underway when Athena arrived. She slipped in to the room and took a seat at the back. Predictably, Cress was stood at the front, addressing the group. She raised an eyebrow when she noticed Athena, but continued speaking without a pause.

Athena sighed and pulled off her coat and hat; it was warm in the meeting room, which was located above a busy restaurant in the West End.

Tonight, Cress was discussing their progress with the education vote, which was quickly gathering momentum: “Early opinion polls are suggesting a 73:27 split in favour, which is really, really positive news. We shouldn’t let that be an excuse to hold back and stop campaigning, though. We need to continue pushing for the next few weeks. More flyers will be available from the back of the hall at the end of the meeting for anyone able to spend some time promoting this week to take away with them.” She smiled sweetly before taking a seat in the front row. Athena had been to enough of these meetings to know that anyone who didn’t take a stack of flyers on their way out was unlikely to be let in again the following week…

Camp meetings were usually split into three parts: opening remarks, social time and closing statements. Cress’ speech marked the end of the opening remarks and no one else stood up to speak after her, signalling that everyone could start chatting.

Athena knew that she should move to the front and join her friends, but she was still desperately attempting to process the evening’s events.

New Message - Dyo X

Athena deleted the message angrily without reading it, too caught up in her emotions to notice that Dyo didn’t have a proper surname on the feeds - something which she had never come across before. Your feed profile wasn’t something you set up yourself and could change at will; it was linked to your official identity record.

She was also too busy mentally cursing Dyo to notice the new man enter the room. He walked straight past Athena and up the aisle, where he sat down next to Cress. The two began talking animatedly. Cress put her hand on his arm, stroking it gently, while running her other hand through her hair. It wasn’t until the man turned towards the back of the room that Athena’s mouth fell open in shock.

It was the guy from the Camp party - the same one she had just seen Dyo bug in the restaurant. He was with Cress. Her Cress.

Athena felt her heart rate increase dramatically as she watched them; what if he recognised her from the incident with Dyo at the restaurant and accused her of being up to something? She shrank back in her seat, in a bid to make herself less noticeable.

This was all Dyo’s fault, she thought furiously. What he had gotten her into?

Perhaps the safest thing to do would be to go up there and tell him what had happened. She could warn him that he was quite probably bugged - for who knows what reason. It wasn’t her fault, so he couldn’t blame her, could he? But it would get Dyo in trouble. And besides, Dyo wouldn’t have bugged him without some sort of reason. Who was she to decide whether it was a good one or not?

Athena sighed, torn. But she was temporarily saved from having to do anything when the man got to his feet and strolled up to the podium.

Seeing his direction, Daphne jumped up in order to introduce him.

“Hi all, we are very lucky to have Castor Grant with us again this evening. He is a representative from the Freedom Institute and has been kind enough to offer up some of his time to discuss recent events.” She smiled at him and went to sit down again, leaving the podium to Castor.

“Thank you so much for allowing me to come and speak to you again.” He looked out into the crowd, his face solemn, serious and something else: concerned? “Last time, I was able to join you at a point of celebration; the Health Care result had been announced and we had won, despite the threats of terrorists who seek to destroy our right to choose. There are people out there who would like to steal our voice; they are not happy with the choices of the people - they believe that we should live as they wish us too and they will not stop until we make them.”

Athena was starting to feel pleased that she hadn’t warned Castor about the bug. She hoped that Dyo was listening to this right now; Castor was completely warping the truth. Dyo and his friends didn’t want to impose their views on anyone else. Their aim was the opposite: they wanted people to chose for themselves, without outside influence of any kind.

“I am here to tell you that the Freedom Institute has your best interests at heart. We will do everything we can to protect you from this threat. With your support, we can keep our society stable, our democracy fair. We will help fund your campaigns, whatever stance they might take, so that you can promote freedom and choice.”

And what do you want in return? Athena thought, her mouth pulled down in a frown.

Isn’t he amazing - Cress

Amazing wasn’t the word Athena would have chosen and she frowned at the message when it appeared on the feeds.

He’s very passionate about his cause Athena sent back, feeling that it would be the most diplomatic response.

We need more people like him! - Cress

Athena wasn’t sure she agreed with this. Neither, it seemed, did Dora, who sent Athena and Demi a separate message in response: Could she be any more of a fan girl? I’m sure she’s going to start drooling in a minute!

Athena laughed, earning her a few confused stares from the people around her. Just then, every pair of glasses in the room lit up with a bright, ice-blue light: a new National Vote. Athena felt a sinking feeling in her stomach as she read the proposal:

New Britain’s Military budget is up for review. A proposal to substantially increase the budget has been suggested. Please vote for or against by March 21st.

Dyo had been right. It was all a set-up. 

It was as if an internal switch had been flicked: her head was whirling and her stomach had been tied into knots. She could feel her neck prickling with a cold sweat. The room was getting smaller, wasn’t it? Her whole world definitely had - it was crumbling into pieces all around her.

Athena stood up slowly, not convinced that she could make it to the exit without her legs giving way. The frozen evening air on her face was a relief and she lent against the wall outside, gulping it in.

Dyo was right - why else would Castor had been giving that speech, seconds before the vote was announced, if not to manipulate them? How had she been so wrong? Everything she had ever believed in…

She needed to speak to Dyo. But she had deleted his earlier message without opening it and couldn’t now find him on the feeds. What was his surname?

Had she forgotten it? She didn’t think so - she wasn’t sure she had ever been told, which seemed strange, but not strange enough to distract her now. She didn’t even know where he lived; she had absolutely no way of contacting him except… Except, she did know one place where he might be.

There was no way she was getting any sleep or rest tonight, so she might as well try to find him there.