7. Fire

Boxing Day, 4 AM

"What's happened?" Kylie asked, holding the phone to her ear and hearing Amy's very alert, awake voice tell her that she had just gotten off the phone with their mum, who said there was a fire in the pines at Corrabo; and that it looked to be a bad one, suggesting they might need to think about organising food and drinks to be brought to the pub.

Kylie's eyes snapped open and she was wide awake – but knew she was no good to anyone right now. She had about five or six drinks in her and her best friends certainly weren't in a fit state to help anyone either.

She told Amy this who said, "well, I'll come and get you, so Shaun can stay home with the kids."

"But where are we getting the stuff from? It's Boxing Day and four AM! Nothing's open!"

"Rosella Coles is open twenty–four seven. Georgia works there, she's working tonight and said they'll donate stuff to us if we want, so that's where I'm going."

"Alright then. I'll jump in the shower real quick and meet you outside." Kylie left a note for the girls, explaining where she had gone and to help themselves to breakfast when they got up and lock the door when they leave. She jumped in the shower quickly, pulled on her black RFS Catering Corp polo shirt and grey activewear three quarter pants and her joggers. She tied her towel dried hair into a bun, grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and made herself a Vegemite sandwich.

Grabbing her phone, shoving it in her pocket and scooping up her charger, sunnies, hat, lip balm and keys, she headed outside, just as Amy pulled up.

It was a cruel side effect of growing up in a place as idyllic as Murruma, that they were used to this. Maybe not drunk at four in the morning on Boxing Day, but certainly being commanded into action by a force of nature without notice.

"How's your head?" Amy asked Kylie, watching her climb into the car and buckle her seatbelt.

"Not as bad as I thought, actually. So, I take it Dad and Mike have gone out?"

"Dad has, I dunno about Mike. Mum probably told him to stay at home because of Lizzie." Amy replied, driving them through the deserted streets of George's Park and towards the top end of town, to Rosella's shopping centre.

"Yeah, true I guess ... but you know what he's like."

"Yeah, I do." Amy conceded mildly.

"I dunno about you, but I'm in no fit state to be watching Liz when we get out there –"

"Well, you're not exactly in a fit state to be doing much else, are you?" Amy replied, grinning slightly when Kylie looked at her. They passed the rest of the short drive to Rosella Coles discussing the very little information they had on the fire.

When Amy pulled up, reversing into a parking space right in front of the main entrance, they marched into Coles and found Amy's friend, Georgia, who was waiting for them at the front service desk.

"Hey! How are you?" Georgia asked politely when Amy and Kylie stopped in front of her.

"Good, considering I wish I was asleep right now!" Amy said in what she called her 'customer service voice'.

"So what do you think you'll need? How much room do you have?" Georgia asked, getting to work.

"Oh, I think if we just start with like, bread, butter, like sandwich stuff, some drinks, you know," Amy said, half turning to Kylie who said, "I was thinking maybe get some snags, maybe bacon and eggs, anything to cook on the barbie that's quick and easy. They'll be wanting breakfast and lunch first up if they're all heading out now."