31. "Slice of Heaven"

Monday 8th Apr 7:21 AM

Ever since leaving Sophie and Dean's wedding, Jack had stayed at his brother's in Douglas Park, twenty minutes outside of Campbelltown, when he wasn't at the hospital. It was the first time since New Year's that Jack had seen all of his family and he hated that it was under such circumstances ... let alone the awful timing of Robbie's accident that he and Kylie were locked in a passionate embrace for the very first time ...

Jack was the eldest of four boys and the only one who attended university. His brothers, Tom (Tommo), Damien (Damo) and Robbie were all tradies. Tommo was a mechanic, living in Douglas Park with his wife Paula; Damo was a chippie, living on a property in Picton and Robbie was a sparky, living in Leumeah with his girlfriend, Tayla. Jack was also the only one who left the city altogether.

Waking up and rubbing his face, Jack propped himself up on his elbows on Tommo's lounge, his neck stiff from sleeping on the small couch for the last two nights. Tommo's wife, Paula handed him a hot coffee as she walked passed him, her satin dressing gown billowing softly in her wake.

"Cheers, Paulz ... aw my neck ..."

"I'm sorry we couldn't give you a bed, Jackie – but you know," Paula said, patting her eight month pregnant belly. Jack grimaced at her with a shallow nod.

"Yeah all good, mate. I know. Thanks all the same – I don't think I would've been able to get myself to a hotel, not at three AM –"

"– like we're gonna turn you away, you're family!" Paula chided him, sweeping her messy blonde bed hair out of her face and turning to the clock mounted on the wall.

"Oh crap! Is that the time? I better get dressed! Tommy will be back soon if you're going back to the hospital again,"

Jack was too busy gulping down his coffee to answer her, but he did manage to at least nod, ignoring the sharp spasm in his neck.

Paula stopped and turned, heading back into the kitchen to unplug Jack's phone and handing it to him.

"Someone was keen to talk to you, I could hear it going off at six." She said with a smirk. Paula had a feeling there was a woman out there in the sticks, who had gotten to him. He was, by nature, so laid back and rarely ever one to fret (unlike Tommo, who could panic at the drop of a hat). But when he ambled into the ward at half past three in the morning two nights ago, Paula just knew by the look on his face, that someone had knocked him off his feet – and it definitely was not that neurotic ex of his.

She didn't know that Jack had actually been up quite late last night, texting Kylie and that it was her message alerts that she had heard earlier this morning.

"Yeah, I'll check it later –" Jack yawned, not wanting to have to discuss Kylie with Paula – she loved to tease and antagonise Jack, something she had learnt very quickly from Tommo. If Paula sniffed out Kylie, she would not let the subject drop for hell or high water.

Paula whacked Jack's shoulder, cutting him off mid–yawn.

"Oi! What's that for?!" Jack cried, flinching at Paula who clicked her fingers at him angrily and pointing in his face. Jack leant back on the lounge trying to put some much needed distance between himself and his heavily pregnant sister – in – law.

"Now you listen to me, Mr James 'call me Jack everyone does' Brookes! I am fairly certain that you're pining for someone and don't you dare make me cranky, my blood pressure can't handle it! So take your damn phone and tell that poor woman, whoever she is, that you miss her and you're on your way home, because if I have to look at that 'someone ran over my puppy' look on your face for one more day, so help me, I'll drag you back to Wangarra by the ear!"