~•8•~

Not edited.

"Where are you coming from Melinda?" My heart stopped and I froze on my tracks. The deep baritone voice sent shivers down my spine. I've missed that voice.

       The dim lights enabled me to partially make out his gait features. I recognized that scent anywhere. That intoxicating smell of finely blended spices that he never fails to wear and more importantly, his charming smile, the one that swept Mom off her feet.

             Dad.

   "Dad!" I wrapped my arms around him. "I've missed you." He hugged me back.

     "Me too, my little girl." He laughed.

  "I'm not little." I pouted as we disengaged.

  He laughed again as he took my small palms in his large ones and I rested my head on his arm. "Let's go inside."

     "Daddy, your wristwatch is fine o." I giggled. I like his watch and I'm looking for a way to get it from him.

      "I know and I'm not giving you this one. You've almost collected all my watches less than €20." He patted my head.

    "I just said that the wristwatch was fine ." I pouted.

    "I know when you want something. Go change your clothes. Where's my wife sef?" He whispered the last part to himself.

      "As if your wife isn't my mother." I thought.

   Just in time, she came out of the kitchen.

     "Good evening ma." I greeted.

   "So this is the time a good child of God is suppose to be coming home? I'll come back to your matter." She turned to my dad and gave him a hug. And a kiss. And kisses. My cue to leave.

    I took my backpack and the package Harry gave me upstairs. Hilda should be back by now. The car she took today is in the compound.

       I happily skipped upstairs. Harry hugged me today and Dad is downstairs. He sometimes doesn't visit in months and he's here without me begging him.

                Squeals

   "Dad's downstairs." I yelled as I entered the room. Hilda's by her reading table with her laptop.

      She turned, "lies."

    "Ehn ehn, oya smell my body." I giggled. She moved closer. After a while, she ran downstairs.

    I'm not the only one who missed Dad after all.

    I dropped the nylon and my backpack on my bed. I fished out my phone and tuned in Cheque's "zoom"

When they tryna hold me I go zoom, zoom, zoom
Don't like your vibe I go zoom, zoom zoom
Blowing off the roof and it go boom, boom, boom
Don't you ever treat me like I be mumu
Bad energy I zoom, zoom, zoom
I'll be on my way like I'll be coming soon
Got a chopper rolling and it go boom, boom, boom
So when they tryna hold me I go zoom, zoom, zoom
...

       I picked out my outfit; a blue tank top and grey sweatpants. I picked my phone and headed for the bathroom. As usual, I waited for some minutes before getting in the shower. I washed my hair with my strawberry scented shampoo. Soon, I meant the next thirty minutes, I was done in the bathroom.

Omah lay's "can't relate" was already playing.

Oooh, yeah
Ohhhh
Ohh nobody can fit relate
All of my nike clothes
Wrist is froze
Heart is stone -cold
Superstar lifestyle
Nobody can fit relate
All of my girls them hoes
Guys them rogues
God is not a man
No no no
Holy Lord save my soul from fire
(Fire, fire them)
Only note I wanna read is naira
(Naira naira naira)
I gotta drive don't need a rider
(Nah nah damn)
These people wan deflate my tire
(Tire them)
...

      I entered the room to see Hilda holding a note standing directly in front of the nylon.

    "Jesus." She muttered.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion as I moved closer to her.

     "Melinda, what is this?" She showed me the note.

    "Keep your eyes opened, your ears pricked. Keep looking behind you, we are coming for you :)." I read out slowly. "What the heck?"

   "I should be asking you that." She almost yelled.

   "I've seen like two or three more. This one seems real."

    "And you didn't say anything about it at all." She hit my bare skin and I yelped.

    "It wasn't making sense and I thought..."

     "Shut up your mouth." She bellowed. I swallowed. My heartbeat has already accelerated. "Since when?"

     "Second week in of last month." I answered. We are in the first week of a new month.

     "So if I didn't check this stuff, you'll not have said anything right? Who gave you this?"

   "Harry." I whispered.

  "Hilda, Melinda come downstairs for food." Mom's voice came from downstairs.

      "Wear clothes and come downstairs. We aren't yet done with this issue. Me I don't know if you have another sibling but I know  it's only you I have." With that, she stormed out.

       "Mtchwwwww." I hissed as I put off the music. I wiped the tears off my face. I stood in front of the mirror to check where Hilda had hit me on my shoulder. The mark was boldly there.
I sniffled as I  applied vaseline on that part.

      I wore my clothes and went to wash my face. I threw the nylon and it's content into the thrash can by the entrance of the room, not caring to check what was in it.

      I walked downstairs and my crocs made small noises against the tiles. All eyes turned to me.

       "Baby, are you okay?" Dad asked with concern written all over his face. Hilda had a blank look as she kept typing on her phone.

       Mom turned to Hilda, "what happened to your sister? You two were upstairs together."

       She shrugged and pointed at me, "I don't know, or Melinda, what happened?"

    "Nothing." I quickly said. "Besides, I just got out of the shower. Let's eat." I tried putting a smile on my face  I settled to a meal of spaghetti and meatballs. The mere thought of food in my mouth made my tummy rumble lightly.

       "So Hilda, how has work been?" Dad asked as soon as we finished eating. We are all in the sitting room with the t.v. giving background sounds.

     "Well, work has been hectic as usual. My boss has been hard on me lately. I'll be traveling out of town tomorrow and I might get transferred to another state soon." She sighed.  At least, I won't see her for a while.

     Mom and Dad kept discussing with my sister while I zoned out.

    "Melinda, why did you come back late?" Mom stared at me intently and I shifted on my seat.

    "Actually, I was caught up in that debate stuff, besides, I texted you earlier." I answered. She kept staring at me. I shifted uncomfortably.

    "So Dad, how has work been?" I asked. I'm done being the center of focus.

    "Well, business is booming as usual. Exports are doing fine. Just some minor issue with here and there with some oil thieves. The elections would be coming up soon and I'm pretty excited."

       Mom awkwardly cleared her throat. "I'll be upstairs. I have some unfinished office work." With that, she left the sitting room.

       Woah... What just happened?

Well... Hello😓
I might delete this book and maybe my account soon. Uhmm.. that'll be all 👉🏾👈🏾