Chapter 5: Enigma

This is Adira
Imagine her UnOrdinary art form

She lifted her head up slightly to look at the ceiling while blowing her bangs out of her face

'One thing's for sure. Vaughn didn't seem worried at all when I told him about John's sudden disappearance. He must know what happened to him. It was 4:30 in the evening and Vaughn was now back home sitting at his kitchen table with a cup of tea.
He would occasionally glance over at John, who was now on the couch, and would feel the familiar pang of disappointment when he noticed the ravenette not making any attempt to move even an inch.
When Vaughn had come home he immediately went to check on John, as he had been for the whole week, and found him still in the same depressed position. He figured maybe if John moved around a little he might open up more, thinking of this idea while noticing that the young male still hadn't eaten anything.
The man had gently grabbed the boy by his upper arm, and had led him downstairs to the couch, noticing that in John's other hand was the fluffy white blanket. He was holding in his limp left arm seemingly dragging it behind him like a toddler would.

Vaughn made sure not to grab John by his wrists. He definitely didn't want to trigger another cry of terror out of the poor kid when he had grabbed him by the wrist before, so he had gone with gently grabbing him by his upper arms or shoulders.

The ravenette was now curled up in a fetal position on the dark colored couch in the middle of the living room with the blanket he dragged downstairs with him draped over his body. He was staring soullessly off into space as usual, his golden eyes even more dull and haunted than they had been.
Vaughn turned back to his tea. He placed the cup back down on the little white plate it had been on and stared into the cup as he thought about the three words John had spoken to him last night.
'What did he mean by 'experiments'?' Vaughn thought as he stared at the brown liquid in his cup.
His thoughts were interrupted by a sudden knock at the front door.
"Coming!" The teal-haired man called.
Vaughn opened the door to see a young girl, who looked to be about twelve or thirteen, holding a phone in her hands. She had blue hair tied up into two pigtails, and stunning purple eyes. She seemed to be about 5'1, and she was wearing black shorts, a light blue tank top, and had headphones around her neck.
"Who are you?" Vaughn questioned in a curious tone. He had never seen her around before.
"Hi! Sorry to bother you. My name's Adira!" The bluenette exclaimed, waving as she introduced herself. She was quite bubbly.
"I just wanted to return John's phone!" She continued talking.
Vaughn nearly choked on his saliva in surprise, but he managed to compose himself.
"How do you know John, and how do you have his phone? He hasn't left the house all week." He crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes slightly at the girl.

"Ah! Funny story! Well, last week I got separated from my mom on my way to a therapy appointment, and I ended up bumping into some tall black-haired kid in a school uniform who looked a few years older than me. I told him my situation and he ended up letting me use his phone to call my mom, and he introduced himself as John. Anyway-"
"Wait. You go to therapy?" Vaughn interrupted Adira.
"Yea! Ever since I was diagnosed with ADHD. I was lucky to find a therapist since there aren't many." The young female responded while fiddling with the headphones around her neck.
"Hmmm." Vaughn hummed out loud to her response, arms still crossed.
"Anyway, as I was saying, John helped me two times actually. The first time, I used his phone to call my mom and he waited with me till she arrived. I coincidentally ran into him a second time, and I used his phone again to call my mom, but he took me to my appointment instead, as I was already late and my mom couldn't come get me. She had trusted me to get to my appointment alone since she was at work, and I had to call her because she, no doubt, got a call from the place saying I hadn't shown up on time."