A Frank Letter

Hades' pronouncement that Hazel could choose who she married, kept her mood buoyant even as she missed her siblings and Frank. Over time though, her enthusiasm waned and worry began to prick at her heart. What if something should happen to Frank? There was no one else she could think of marrying. Or what if Bianca or Nico were killed? What is Lesbos lost the war and they were driven away in chains? Hazel shivered at the thought, but wasn't that what spurred Hector to fight for Troy?

     Hazel tried to keep herself occupied, so her thoughts wouldn't wander. She milked the sheep in the mornings and monitored them during the day. She and Frank's grandmother chatted about little things of no consequence like their favorite color or type of bread. Sometimes they spoke of the past, but never the future.

     The ewes and nannies gave birth successfully and soon, there were lambs and kids frolicking around. They needed extra attention and clung to their mothers at first like burrs. Hazel loved seeing them like this. The newborn lambs meant there was more milk flowing and Hades used the extra to
Hazel spoiled the lambs and nursing ewes by leading them to the best pastures. Sometimes, she gathered fresh springs and growths from their family garden for them. Her father might not approve, but it was worth it to feel the sheep's soft, warm tongue against her hands.

    When she wasn't caring for the sheep, Hazel fetched water from the well, cleaned at home, tended the garden, or helped with cooking. Without Bianca and Nico around, a lot more responsibilities fell on Hazel's shoulders. In a way, she was grateful for that; it meant she was so tired by the time she laid down to sleep that she didn't have the energy to worry too much.

    Still, worry prickled at her mind, sneaking in whenever it saw the opportunity. When one of the goats sprained a leg, Hazel thought of Frank as she tended it. Was he alright? Had he been injured? How was he faring? One day, she finally got an answer.

    She returned home after a long day. Over dinner time, her father casually mentioned they had gotten a letter from Frank. "From Frank?" she parroted.

   Hades nodded. "It's addressed to you alone."

    His eyes held curiosity, but Hazel couldn't hide her smile. Frank had sent her a letter! That must mean he was still alive — or had been recently. Worries started to pick up in her mind again. She was quick with dinner and even quicker with washing the dishes. When she finished, her father finally handed her the scroll. She took it outside to read.

Dearest Hazel,

    I am writing to you because I don't know when I'll have the chance again. General Hedge (the man who recruited your brother and I) is a good leader, though he has some strange quirks. He likes shouting "Die!" whenever we do training exercises (I wonder if that will be his battle cry) and calling us honey cakes.

General Hedge keeps us pretty busy. He has us train every morning. We also have rotating duties. The worst is cleaning the latrines. My favorite duty is just standing as sentry. It can get a bit dull and it's hard to stay awake at night, but if you have night duty, then you get the next day off to sleep.

The food is pretty bland here and we have to ration because of the big population. It's crazy to think that we have more people than the Argive forces arriving (from what the spurs have said), but less trained men. The city is so different from the countryside. The noises are different: loud voices at every hour of the day (and even the night), carts, people working, and (of course) the sounds that come from our drills.

I have sent this letter because I'm not sure when I'll see you again. There is a possibility we might never talk again. I just want you to know that I will fight for Lesbos, for your siblings, and for you Hazel. I am clumsy with words and I've been thinking a lot on how to end this letter. I just want you to know that I love you and I want the best for you. If something should happen to me, I ask you to keep steady and keep going. I hope to see you again soon.

— Frank

Hazel read over the letter again and she started to cry. Frank wasn't just a few days walk away; with the Argive army closing in, he was an entire world away. What if he didn't return? How could she bear it?

Her father had said she could marry whomever she chose, but she knew she couldn't marry a dead man. Or what if something else happened? If the Argives won, they might enslave him and take him to foreign ports. Then, they might never see each other again.

There was another possibility: War could change him. Perhaps he'd find a sweetheart in Mytilene: a girl he found prettier and sweeter to be around. Or perhaps war would harden his heart. Would he lose his softness — the gentleness that made her feel so comfortable around him?

Hazel rolled up the scroll again and let herself cry. The sun had set and the sky was an inky blue. Stars peaked out, illuminating the sky and the moon hung as its finest ornament. Was Frank looking at the same sky right now? Was he thinking of her and if so, did he miss her as much as she did? Hazel didn't know and she continued to watch the stars until she started nodding off. She felt arms around her and blinked open her eyes. Her father was carrying her back into the house. He gently set her down and kissed her on the forehead. "Sleep well, my daughter," he said. "May the gods answer your prayers."

Hazel closed her eyes and thought: and let it be so.