Put a Salve on It

Frank sighed. Four days had passed since the disastrous battle and he was still holed up in the medical tent. "You survived the initial part," Will said, "but you're still weak and I want to make sure your wound doesn't become infected."

    That meant Frank was treated to herbal salves and vinegar rinses everyday. He wasn't sure how much of a difference it made. When his wound wasn't covered in gunk it bandaged up, he saw the flesh was red, though thankfully not puffy. At least it wasn't bleeding as much. Will told him if things held out well, he might be fine with bandages in a few days, but he'd probably end up with a scar on his torso.

    Frank gently traced the part of his torso where his wound lingered. Would Hazel see him differently if he returned to her? Would she be frightened by his scar or repulsed? "Hey Frank," someone said.

    Frank looked up. It was Percy. He was one of the few with only minor injuries from the last battle, which meant he was working hard, taking more shifts as a sentry. Now, he sat down beside Frank's mat. "You look better," Percy said.

    "I do?" Frank asked.

    Percy nodded. "You look more awake than the other times I've seen you and your color is improved."

    Frank could believe that. He hadn't looked at his reflection in a puddle in days, but he had been half-asleep the first few times Percy visited him. Who knew getting cut up by a sword made one so tired? "General Hedge is planning another nighttime raid," Percy said.

    Frank blinked. "But do many were injured in the battle."

    Percy sighed. "I know, but he's hoping to get supplies. The people are getting hungry. Today I saw two brothers fighting over a goat. apparently, their father had died and not specified who got it. They both wanted it to feed their hungry families."

    Percy sighed. "I stepped in and they agreed to split the goat."

   Frank sighed, thinking of his goats in the countryside. "Why not keep it for milk?"

     "It was a male," Percy said.

    "Oh," Frank said, feeling more down.

     Percy must have seen his glum expression because he forced a smile. "Hey, you should be proud of yourself. You fought really well."

    Frank shook his head. "I made myself a burden by getting injured."

     "Many others were injured," Percy said. "Does that make them burdens?"

   Frank shook his head. "No, but I should've done better. General Hedge trusted me to lead a contingent and I failed him and all of Lesbos."

     "No you didn't!" Percy said. "You fought at the forefront like a leader. You risked your life and we may have lost the battle, but I know we were inspired by your bravery. General Hedge said he was proud of you; he said he fought with the courage of Diomedes."

     Frank laughed. "I don't think I'd be willing to battle Aphrodite or Ares."

     Percy shook his head. "Take the compliment, Frank. You deserve it."

     "You're a good friend," Frank told Percy.

Percy shrugged. "How are you feeling?"

Frank shifted to try to get more comfortable, but pain flared up in his torso. "Bored to death."

Percy laughed. "Anything I can do for you?"

Frank sighed. "What's going around camp?"

"General Hedge is still making us do drills," Percy said, "and he said once everyone is cleared for training, they'll start up again, but more slowly."

"Good," Frank said. "I don't think I could survive a full day of training just yet."

"He wouldn't expect you to," Percy said. "You'll start with light duties like acting as a sentry and walking around before moving up to combat training and then a full day's training."

Frank nodded. "That makes sense."

Percy was looking distracted. "I'd better go."

Frank raised an eyebrow. "Is it Annabeth?"

The shadow of a smile on Percy's face revealed it was. "I'm happy for you, man," Frank said. "See you later."

Percy said goodbye and left. The short visit took a lot out of Frank and he found himself resting once more.

***

"Isn't there anything I can do?" Frank asked Will.

"You could help me make poultices," Eill said.

Anything sounded better than doing nothing. It had been nearly two weeks since the battle and he was allowed to go for a short, supervised walk everyday (General Hedge accompanied him once and it was a mildly awful and quite hilarious experience). "You are still recovering," Will told him.

Frank hated to admit it, but the blonde healer was right. He still felt weaker than normal and even the short walks left him feeling exerted. It didn't help that rations had been cut twice in the past week. Would he ever regain his full strength?

At least the medic tents weren't as crowded. There had been another battle and several raids since the first, but nothing decisive on either side. Frank has seen soldiers come in and go out of the tent several times. Right now, Frank felt like the least valuable soldier in the entire army.

Frank sat down on a stool next to Will. The healer showed him how to use a motor and pedestal to grind herbs. "You want them to turn into a really fine powder," he said.

"Do you do this will all the herbs?" Frank asked.

Will shook his head. "Some are dried, but these powders work well for making healing salves. I mix them with melted beeswax and olive oil and they don't go bad as quickly as fresh herbs."

Frank did as Will showed him that day and the next and the next. He learned the names and healing properties of a few herbs and to his surprise, the work allowed him to gradually regain his strength. Grinding herbs into powder worked his arms and eventually Will allowed him to assist with patients. Frank felt stronger everyday and went to sleep with the satisfaction of doing a job well done. After a week of this, Will looked him over and said he was recovered enough to start training. "Unless you want to stay here," Will teased.

Frank hugged his friends goodbye and returned to the tent he shared with Percy, Luke, and Nico. They greeted him warmly. "You did it!" Percy said.

"Congrats on not dying," Nico added, patting him on the shoulder.

Frank laughed and that night he fell asleep to the sound of his friends' breathing, resting better than he had in weeks.