All The Ladies Love Leo

Hazel marched up to Leo's house later that evening. Now that it was late winter, there was still some light spilling across the sky in the evening. She knocked on the door until Leo opened it and seeing her, stepped outside.

     There was a misty look in his eyes, but it was focused not on her, but on something in his mind. Hazel understood now that Leo has liked her before Frank did and she hoped the two of them could part on good terms. "So," she said, taking out her roll of papyrus. "What's she like?"

     "Who?" Leo asked.

       Hazel arched one eyebrow. "The girl you've set your heart on."

    Leo sighed. He wasn't fidgeting as much as he normally did and it was uncanny. "How did you know?"

    Hazel smiled slightly. "Grover told me about the symptoms of love. I see them in you . . . the mooning looks, the sighs, the changes temperament. You've set your heart on someone."

    Leo nodded. "I met her in Mytilene. Her name is Calypso."

    "Describe her," Hazel said.

     Leo closed his eyes and began speaking. Her image was firmly lodged in his brain and as she spoke, Hazel used a piece of charcoal to sketch. When he had finished, he opened his eyes and saw her smudging part of papyrus with a finger. She handed it to him.

    Leo gasped. "It looks just like her."

     From her pouty lips to the hair she wore in a single braid splayed over one shoulder, Hazel had captured Calypso in portrait. Seeing it, Leo felt like one of those men in love that those bards sang of. "Thank you," Leo whispered.

    Hazel smiled. "It's yours to keep. I hope you see her again."

    Then, she flounced off, leaving Leo more appreciative of her than ever.

***

     By the next day, everyone knew that Hephaestus and his family were moving to Mytilene. Whether one was cooking on the hearth, plowing the fields, shepherding animals, or fetching water from the well, it was all anyone was talking about. Hephaestus had actually owned the land he worked on and he said he'd rent it to anyone who wanted to work on it. He eventually made an agreement with Bacchus, who also bought ten of his cows. The rest of the herd were sold to various farmers.

     "We won't have any new neighbors," Maria remarked that evening.

     "Good thing," Hades said.

       "Maybe we should've gotten the land and built a temple to Artemis there," Nico said.

    Recently, this had been Nico's new idea. He supposed that if they built a temple to Artemis in Lesbos, Bianca would return and he'd get to see her again. Hades gave him a look. "We cannot even afford our land or even our freedom — let alone Hephaestus' fields."

    Nico sighed and slumped his shoulders. Hazel gave him a look. He hadn't been eating well since Bianca's last letter to him. None of the family had heard from her since.

   Hades looked to Maria. "Another lad has come over seeking Hazel's hand in marriage."

    Hazel's heart beat rapidly in her throat. Could it have been Frank? "Who was it?" Maria asked.

     "A goatherd named Don," Hades said. "I told him no; he makes too little."

   Hazel didn't know whether to feel relieved or anxious. Frank's family made about as much as Don did. If he asked for her hand, would her father refuse l? "What about you, Nico?" Maria asked. "Would you want us to start looking for a bride for you?"

Nico gave his mother a look as if she had suggested he summon the dead with ox blood.
Hades patted his son on the shoulder. "It will be alright. I was 26 when I got married. Some of my friends didn't get married till later, but they all eventually do."

Nico shook his head. "There's no evidence that Hesiod ever married."

Hades sighed. "Hesiod was a poet. If you never have a family, who will look after you in your old age?"

Nico shrugged, stood up, and left the house. Hazel looked between her parents and then followed her brother. She found him sitting under an oak tree and hugging his knees. "What's wrong?" Hazel asked, sitting down beside him.

"I don't want to get married," Nico said.

"No one is going to force you," Hazel said soothingly, "and besides, father is right, it's awhile away. You needn't worry of it now."

Nico sighed and said nothing. Hazel wondered what was going on in his brooding mind. She missed the easy closeness they once had, but he'd been more reclusive than ever since Bianca's departure. "Besides, once I marry and have kids, they'll look after you in your old age," Hazel said.

"Please don't speak of that," Nico said. "I don't want to lose another sister."

"I'm going to marry — not enter the house of Hades!" Hazel exclaimed.

Nico sighed. "But you might marry a man who takes you far away. I might see and hear from you even less than I do from Bianca."

He broke off and set his chin on his knees. Hazel scooted closer to him. "Did her latest letter say something upsetting?" Hazel asked.

Nico didn't look up as he answered, "She's visiting another temple and we won't hear from her for awhile. Gods, I miss her so much."

Hazel put her arms around her brother. To her surprise, he returned her hug and when it ended, he gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you, Hazel."

"No problem," Hazel said, standing up. "Would you like to go back?"

Nico shook his head. "I think I'll stay out here and think for some time."

     "I can stay with you," Hazel offered.

     "I'd rather have some time alone," Nico said.

"Alright," Hazel said. "Be careful."

Nico nodded and she left. Nico didn't return when the family was bedding down, but Hades said he probably needed some alone time. Hazel woke up in the middle of the night. She wasn't immediately sure what had awakened her, but she heard a creek and saw a shadow. She sat up and saw Nico coming into the house. Hazel smiled and laid back down, pulling her blanket closer and drifting back to sleep.