A Hero's Return

Hazel was leading the sheep home when she saw them. She cried in delight and tore off towards the figures, nearly tripping because she was running so quickly. She threw her arms around her brother. He looked slighter and paler than usual, but he smiled when he saw her. "Hazel," he said. "You've grown since we've last seen each other."

    Hazel giggled. Had she? "It's good to see you again, brother."

    Nico was not ordinarily affectionate, but his hug was warm and he ended it by planting a soft kiss on her cheek. The embrace ended and Hazel looked up to meet Frank's soft gaze. All of the worries — all of the fears that had ravaged her mind melted away as she drank in the sight of him. He looked taller and more muscular, but when he shifted, she realized he was the same shy, insecure boy — no man — that she had fallen in love with. "Frank," she said, wishing she could kiss him right then and there. "It's good to see you again."

     She turned her gaze to Will who looked the same as usual, though his hair had grown out and he had more freckles splattered on his cheeks. "And you too, Will."

    Will returned her smile. "The war is over."

   Hazel clapped in delight. "That is the best news we've heard all year."

    There was a bleating of sheep. "Oh, I'd better put them away," Hazel said, "and we can finish catching up later."

***

    Maria managed to make a small feast that night. She roasted a wild rabbit that Hades had caught over her fire. They had the spiced meat with bread, sheep's cheese, dried figs, and some of the best wine in their storehouse. Maria told Nico of Bianca's letter. "Can I read it?" he asked eagerly.

"After dinner," Hades said. "We want to hear all about the campaign."

Nico briefly told them about the raids and battles. He seemed impatient to read the letter, but Hades and Maria kept pressing him with questions. When he finally told them the news of their freedom, Hades went quiet for several moments. "That is not something to joke about," he told Nico sternly.

It wasn't until Nico produced the signed letter from General Hedge that Hades believed him. "My gods," he said. "The Fates work in strange ways. I feared losing my son to war, but instead I have him back and much more."

****

     Hazel woke up late the next day. She had stayed up talking with her brother about the war. He told her of the training and the waiting. "The waiting is honestly the worst," he says, "because it makes you feel so helpless and the dread. . ."

    He had shuddered until Hazel put an arm around her brother's shoulders. "You're safe now," she had whispered.

     Though she was tired, Hazel could not help being in a good mood that morning. The war was over. Nico and Frank were back. She was back to her old, usual routine — no a better one because now her family had their freedom. Athena would still be in their lives, but she only owned the land they worked  on — not their bodies too.

     The sheep were extra affectionate that morning as Hazel greeted them. It was late summer and the lambs were getting bigger. In a couple years they'd have their own offspring to look after. When Hazel was finished milking the sheep, she grabbed a quick meal and took the sheep out to pasture. On the rolling hills of Lesbos, she met Frank leading his own herd of goats.

     Their eyes met. They both stopped walking for several long moments and their eyes conveyed a thousand things: love, longing, and fear. Then, one of her lambs nudged her hand and Hazel found herself running forward. She flung her arms around Frank and they embraced.

    After a long hug, they let go and as they watched their animals, they spoke. "How was it?" Hazel asked. "Your time in Mytilene?"

     "Didn't Nico tell you?" Frank asked.

      "Yes," Hazel said, but everyone sees the world differently, "and I want to get your perspective."

      Frank worried his bottom lip. "I fear you'll think I changed too much."

   Hazel was afraid that he may have changed. She was afraid that war might have hardened his soft heart or made violence his pleasure, but she needed to give him a chance. "What do you mean?" Hazel asked.

    So Frank told her. He spoke of the raids and the battles. He told her how he'd been wounded. "May I see?" Hazel asked.

    Frank's cheeks cheeks were pink, and they moved the herds near the shaded portion of the stream for some privacy. He lifted his tunic and showed her the scar on his torso. Hazel gently traced it with one finger, causing Frank's skin to tingle. Does it hurt?" she asked.

    He shook his head. "Not any longer."

     Then, he replaced his tunic and spoke of the rest. He told her of the siege and the hunger in the city. He spoke of the prisoner exchange and the broken cease-fire. He told her stories that raised the hair on the back of her neck and made her more and more grateful with every moment that he was here, safe with her, now. He asked her about what happened at home, and she told him of the sheep-shearing and tending the herds with his grandmother.

When they finished, they sat down by the bank of the river and removing their sandals, let their feet dangle into the cool water. The air was still hot and dry from the summertime heat and the shade combined with the water made for a delightful mix of sensations. They soon added another sensation to the list. They kissed in the relative privacy of the riverside with only the sheep, goats, and dryads as witnesses. The kiss was like a mild spring day: cool, lovely, and inviting. When it ended, the two looked each other in the eyes and thanked the gods they were together again.